Friday 27 September 2019

Play: Groan Ups

Last night, Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) was back with Groan Ups, at the Vaudeville. Another of those e-tickets that just says "print at home" - nothing about showing it on your phone. And again, my connection to the work printer isn't working - and, as usual, IT couldn't be bothered. It was easier just to ask the theatre whether it was ok to have it on my phone - and, as usual, they emailed back pretty quickly to say yes, that was just fine.

It was also just close enough to the office to walk - honestly, the bus wouldn't have been much quicker! Since the rain had stopped - for the day, as it turned out - off I set. And it was so entertaining, trying to cross at the lights - which were in my favour - while a whole stream of cyclists tried to cut through the pedestrians, not only running a red light that was against them, but dinging their bells at us as well, for having the temerity to be in their way! I really do think a lot of them don't actually know that they're supposed to obey any rules.. Next, I was squeezing past a continual stream of what looked like tour groups of teenagers. I'm not surprised people choose not to walk.


Finally, a cursory bag check, and a long climb of the stairs to the Upper Circle (Grand Circle) - I felt like I'd been through the mill by the time I got to the Grand Circle bar, where we were meeting. And I got a whole pack of people exclaiming that they hadn't seen me in an age! Mmm, well, read the archive - I do get around! Been doing a lot on my own, too, of course. One of the group, I last saw on the 3rd: another on the 30th: a couple more on the 2nd of last month: another couple on the 29th of July: and true for one of those who said it to me, I haven't seen her since the 15th of July! Ah well.. I always show up eventually.


So, not too restricted a view from the end of Row C in the top level - I did have to lean to the side every now and again, which was fine as the seat beside me was empty. And although I'd stumped for an aisle seat, legroom was ok too.

So, this is by the Mischief Theatre Company, which has some great comedic theatre under its belt. None of us really knew what to expect - so here's a brief overview. It starts as if you're in school assembly - then the curtain opens to reveal a schoolroom, everything oversized, indicating that our five heroes are teeny people. We get an opening scene there, then one with smaller furniture, and now they're teens, with teenage angst and romance on their minds. After the interval, they're back and all grown up, and reconvene in the classroom for a reunion.

In short, this improves as it goes on. The assembly bit at the very start didn't work much for me at all - but it's short. The scene with them as juniors is better (watch out for the hilarious description of what they did at the weekend, with one describing what daddy did with the cleaner), but it's when they're teens that you can get into more complicated themes, and it gets more interesting. Sure enough, it's in the second act that they get up to their full potential, with an eye-wateringly funny, madcap reunion scene. Reminds you why this company is so good!

Love the attention to detail, in particular - keep an eye out on stage, there's a lot of added extras. The characters' personalities are carried well through the whole span of the show - and jeez, I think we all agreed that the star of the show isn't even human! Runs till 1st December, recommended. And no hamsters were harmed in the making of this production. I think.

Afterwards, it was a short walk to the bus stop, and a long, long wait for the bus home - eight different ones stop there, and I swear, each of them came (several times) before mine! Anyway, it ran too late to blog last night.


Tonight, Love London Theatre, Arts, Music & Stuff (LLTAMS) is at Our Lady of Kibeho, at the Theatre Royal Stratford. Ahah, I knew I'd booked something else with them! Another palaver with me having to check whether I can present the ticket on my phone - yes I can. And perhaps I've been around there enough now that I shan't get lost..!

Tomorrow, I booked for the matinee of Glass. Kill. Bluebeard. Imp. at the Royal Court. Excellent review in yesterday's paper. And then Civilised London (CL) organised an outing to see London Concertante perform the Four Seasons at Southwark Cathedral. What the hey, I figure I can make both! It's ages since I heard it, in fact.. and it'll be a nostalgic trip for me, as my very first Meetup with the Man with the Hat was to listen to Concertante in Southwark Cathedral. He's much missed.

Sunday is film. What came up top was - appropriately for the weather - something for the last day of the Raindance Festival, at the Vue Piccadilly. Booking seems to be on the Raindance website, rather than the Vue's - tickets with Eventbrite. And I'm going to Babysplitters - a comedy about two couples who can't decide whether they want a baby, so decide to have one they can split amongst them all! Since tickets are only available until tomorrow, I'd have had to book anyway - so I just went ahead and booked straight away.

On Monday, I'm back with UITCS for Ballet Preljocaj - La Fresque at Sadler's Wells.

On Tuesday, we have a slightly delayed September social for ex-employees (and current, if they want) of the company I last worked for - Ivan is away till Sunday, and of course I'm busy on Monday. So, on Tuesday we're headed to Imperial China - the new Chinese restaurant I discovered via CL. Booked for six people, it probably won't exceed that. Getting an answer out of people is predictably difficult.

On Wednesday, I'm headed to The Merry Wives of Windsor, at the Globe.

On Thursday, I'm back with CL - this should be interesting. Red Palace is an immersive cabaret experience - lots of fairytale characters, I believe - at the Vaults. And I really hope the weather is ok, because I sourced the most fantastic outfit for it..! Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend - the start of another brief hiatus from Meetup.

On the 7th, I'm off to Shushkin's Stories, at the Barbican. Performed in Russian, with English surtitles, it's a dramatisation of the short stories of Vasily Shushkin.

On the 8th, off to Wilton's, for Lady of Jazz.

On the 9th, heading to the Turbine Theatre, for Torch Song. This is the inaugural show at the new theatre in the revamped Battersea Power Station!

On the 10th, back with Meetup - North London Friends is off to A History of Water in the Middle East, at the Royal Court. Another where I got my ticket from the organiser.

On the 11th, back with UITCS - to Southwark Playhouse this time, for Preludes. D' you know, I bought their passport a while ago, which entitles you to cheap tickets to five shows - and of the last three I booked, something else came up for every single one! Hope I make this one..

On the 12th, seeing the matinee of Solaris at the Lyric Hammersmith. Turns out that both UITCS and LLTAMS are going - so I booked with both! Why not? Each requires you to buy your own ticket. And since only the organiser and I are going from LLTAMS, what it effectively means is that I'm slipping her into the UITCS group. What harm..

On the 13th, joining the London Improvisation Community Group for the first time - they have a show called Happily Never After at the Pleasance - part of the London Horror Festival.

On the 14th, I'm seeing Mother of Him, at the Park.

On the 15th, UITCS is off to the Albert Hall for Symphonic Queen - the Royal Philharmonic is performing Queen.

Then begins a long period of non-Meetup stuff. On the 16th, I'm heading to the ballet Manon, at the Opera House.

On the 17th, the Crick Crack Club (CCC) is back at Rich Mix, with Melusine. TUUP is the headliner on this occasion, which should be terrific!

On the 18th, Helen's in town, heading to a Midge Ure concert at the Palladium - we're meeting for dinner beforehand. Now, that's the day I should be flying back to Ireland - so I'm going the next day instead. And with my mother's birthday during the week - and not having any major holidays booked - I said, why not just take the week off and spend it in Ireland? So I am.

On the 28th of next month, the CCC is back again - Ben Haggarty is in Soho Theatre with Grim Grimms - a dark take on fairytales, highlighting four lesser-known tales of the brothers Grimm. With musical accompaniment. Tickets weren't available when I noted this in my calendar - they are now, and will likely sell out.

On the 29th of next month, I'm trying to persuade the aforementioned social group from my former company to come with me to a Design My Night event - Fright Night Cinema is showing Hallowe'en in the Rivoli ballroom, with a themed cocktail bar and people dressed in spooky costumes. Now, that sounds like fun..

On the 30th of next month, back with Meetup at last - UITCS is at a mixed programme by Birmingham Royal Ballet, at Sadler's Wells. I've seen part of it before, and it's excellent.

And for Hallowe'en, The Embers Collective stepped up to the plate, with a storytelling performance called Witch, at The Jago.

No comments:

Post a Comment