Tuesday 16 July 2019

Play: The Ofsted Massacre

The first three days of this week, back with Up in the Cheap Seats. Yesterday and tomorrow, we're at LAMDA - last night was for The Ofsted Massacre.

And boy, LAMDA is a long way away from me. So, District Line it was - to somewhere quite close to where I worked when I first came to London. As usual, I didn't get away early enough - but it was a pleasant journey, with aircon, breathing space, and a seat. I'd never been to LAMDA before, never walked this far down Talgarth Road - and it was a good thing that our organiser had advised us which entrance to take. The Sainsbury Theatre is, indeed, the third entrance past Baron's Court station - it is well signed when you get there, but you might well have given up in the meantime, as you walk past the long, brick building.



Anyway, I got there in the end, and joined the slow, slow queue at the box office - it was past the start time for the show by the time I got to the counter to pick up my ticket. And then had to navigate the confusing stair system. Never mind, they started late, as is typical in London. So I did actually have time to climb to my seat, wave to the others in my group - who'd all booked early enough to get in the front row - and get myself settled and my phone off, before the lights went down. Bench seating BTW, quite comfy.

OMG, this is incredible. Seriously, how does a production this good not get more publicity? Basic story - we're in a benighted, struggling school that got a bad Ofsted report last time - and oh no, the inspectors are due back! It's also set on a Monday, it seems.. not a good start. Suffice to say, what begins with teachers conniving to buck the system.. ends, literally, with open warfare. A more madcap school day you will never see.

Ah but hold on, this isn't random mayhem. The characters are hilarious, wonderfully acted. We get the full range - principal, maintenance guy, teachers of drama, history, religion.. a trainee teacher, and a supply teacher drafted in to make the place look good. The script absolutely sparkles - pay attention, or you'll miss some humdingers! The first line to get me laughing happened early - honestly, how can you beat a woman standing on a chair and screaming, "The badger's back and he's choking on a winegum!" When that makes sense, you know you're on to something. Or little gems like when someone is revealed to have betrayed her fellows - "Tinker, tailor, soldier.. bitch." Attention to detail is phenomenal.

The whole thing rests in the framework of the story of Romeo and Juliet, which a class is rehearsing, with quotes throughout - the warring houses are, of course, the teachers and inspectors, respectively, with an ill-fated romance between a pair, one from each side. Oh, but we've got scenes from Henry V in there (Once more unto the breach..) - and one teacher is obsessed with the Iliad, so we get lots of that too. You noticing the warlike theme..?

Finally, a shout-out to the fantastic musical choices - with perfectly timed offerings like Romeo and Juliet (Dire Straits) and ending with School's Out - how can you lose? The only quibble I had was the audience - comprised of fellow students, of course, they were way too enthusiastic at the start, and a bit annoying. They quieted down after a bit. No surprise, I guess, that they gave a standing ovation when the dust of dead teachers settled - but I have never seen a production that deserved it more, and can't fault them for jumping so readily to their feet. I'd recommend it highly - except the last performance is at 2pm today, with online booking closed. Which probably means it's sold out anyway. But if you ever get a chance to see this..

It's a handy run back for me, I just have to change to the Circle Line pretty much anywhere along the route, so I can get to Liverpool Street. Too late to blog last night, though. Tonight, we're at Trafalgar Studios, which is a lot closer - I'm finally going to see Equus, with its nudity and blinding of horses. Have to see what all the controversy is about! Probably less fun than last night.

Tomorrow, the play is My Children! My Africa! Handily, I know where to go this time.

On Thursday, our overdue social from the company I was last with - this month, we're off to the Queen's Head and Artichoke, for dinner and drinks.

And on Friday, Helen is in town again for training - and we're off on the Hidden Horrors Haunted History London Ghost Walk. Which I was on before, but wouldn't mind going on again - it's good (as I can see from the review I left), and I could do with reminding, after all. Let's see how much I've forgotten.. It's also Funzing, and I got a 15% discount with the code Fun15, which can only be used once. Advertised by Best Authentic Walking Tours in London - so Funzing does still have a Meetup group for walks.. Don't believe what they say about "no refunds" though, the Funzing rule of a full refund up to 48 hours beforehand still applies.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks London Rocks. Really pleased you enjoyed The Ofsted Massacre so much. It was great fun to work on and hopefully it will be on again soon. Best wishes, Phil (writer)

    ReplyDelete