Sunday 1 September 2019

Kubrick Exhibition

Today, I was off to the Kubrick Exhibition! Taking place at the Design Museum, this promised to be fascinating - I've seen so many of Kubrick's films, and some sets have been reconstructed. Well, it's in Kensington, which is a long way from where I am now.. I made it even longer by taking the bus. Buses, rather. Lovely sunny day for it, anyway. The first was the same I took yesterday - mercifully, not detoured today, and packed with tourists. The second was packed with families with screaming kids - it was something of a relief to get off, across the road from the Design Museum.


Of course, this attractive-looking building is it. Unfortunately, that ain't the entrance - as a besuited lady hurried out of one of the buildings to tell me. I'd completely missed the well-signposted entrance, just to the right. Blame Google Maps.


This is obviously the biggest thing they have on here right now - they've devoted a section of the gift shop to Kubrick.


Indeed, as you walk around the lobby..


..the music of Also Sprach Zarathustra, from the opening of 2001, is a constant reminder of the exhibition, as it spills from the open doors to the left of the stairs. Well, I had a nose around the gift shop, moseyed over to the cafe for a brownie, then queued to get in (I was slightly early - you're given a 15-minute entry slot). Signs all around advised that it was sold out for today - I bought my ticket nearly two months ago, of course.

You're plunged right into it - the carpet you're queueing on is the same one used in the hotel corridors in The Shining! And of course, you're getting ever closer to that music - once your ticket is scanned, you're in a dark corridor, full of clips from Kubrick films that play on loop to the music.

Inside is an absolute treasure trove for Kubrick fans - there are original props..



..background material and information..




..and, appropriately, lots and lots of screens playing good bits from the various films highlighted - some in separate screening alcoves. You could spend a great deal of time in here, just watching those - and the exhibition mainly inspired me to want to go watch several of the films again, in their entirety. My favourite clips? The battle scene from Spartacus, the barracks scene from Full Metal Jacket, the montage from A Clockwork Orange, the scene where Tom Cruise is exposed in the orgy house in Eyes Wide Shut, Kubrick's last film.

Oh yeah, excellent way to while away some time. I spent a bit over an hour in there - you can spend a lot more, if you pore over every exhibit and watch every video sequence through to the end.

Originally due to finish on the 15th, it's been extended to the 17th - highly recommended for Kubrick fans. Closes at 5.45pm daily, and they advise to leave two hours to go around. Sold out for all of next weekend - so if you can't go on a weekday, hurry to book for the weekend after, which is the last!

I decided to take the Tube home - walking to the station through Holland Park, where I've never been before. They do stage operas here, and I remember having booked for one, years ago, and being unable to find an open gate.. information is much better on the website these days. Today, I passed a quite posh-looking youth hostel, and was glad of Google maps, because signposts to the station were nonexistent. Otherwise, the place was a riot of children and dogs (which can be taken off leads around the sports field). V nice.

Tomorrow, back to Wilton's - Civilised London is at another jazz night. This time, it's the Hot Club of Jupiter!

On Tuesday, Up in the Cheap Seats is at A Very Expensive Poison, at the Old Vic. Still in preview, this is based on a book inspired by recent Russian poisonings. I just found out one of my flatmates has been to see it - he found it "very left-wing". Is that because he's half Russian..?

On Wednesday, my first Meetup with Love London Theatre, Arts, Music & Stuff - we're off to Secret River, at the National. And there should be a couple of people there from other groups of mine - nothing like cross-pollination! This one is about the tensions caused by Europeans' arrival in Australia.

On Thursday, back at last with Spooky London! It's ironic, he'd only just said that I'd been to all the pub socials - and I stopped going! Not deliberate, I can assure you.. this time, we're at The George. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend again.

On the 9th, back with London European Club for a night at the Proms - this is Prom 68: Wagner Night. At the Royal Albert Hall, natch.

On the 10th, back at Trafalgar Studios - this time with North London Friends, for The Fishermen.

And on the 11th, I'm back to the Proms, on my own.. Prom 71: Bach Night

No comments:

Post a Comment