Tuesday 17 September 2019

Comedy: Shappi Khorsandi

Tonight, some comedy, with Shappi Khorsandi, at Soho Theatre. And as usual, I was torn between leaving - and staying to finish something. What finally budged me from my seat was when I was trying to do something delicate with an image, and the cleaner came around wiping, and jiggling the desks - I took that as my cue.

I caught the suggested bus - but it wasn't until the journey was underway that I noticed that Google Maps' journey suggestion (to get there by 7.30) actually predicted I'd get there just after! Oh dear me no, this wasn't good. Despite terrible traffic, though, the bus made good time, and arrived early - I still had something of a walk, and galloped off. It also helped that I noticed that Google Maps' suggested walking route was more convoluted than it needed to be, which saved me a little time. I arrived just before showtime.. and picking up my ticket, had the usual confusion about my postcode. She said it was different to the one I quoted - I couldn't for the life of me remember the old one on the spot, but given that I remembered the first line of the address, she let me off. I had moved by the time I booked this, but I seem to remember their system didn't want to change my address..

So I trotted off downstairs, where they were, of course, late starting. Took my seat at the back, and had time to take off my coat and turn off my phone. This was, apparently, the first night of her run, lasting about an hour - and sure enough, she did seem a bit unprepared. But hey, she's one of those naturally funny people - and as she said, she's been in the business 20 years, so she can pull something out of the bag. She has a seemingly endless store of anecdotes about her family - much of which centred on her father, a famous anti-establishment poet in Iran, forced to flee into exile. Her kids came up, her mis-spent youth came up. And throughout, her delivery is deadpan, with a perfectly clipped English accent. Looks effortless, and is very effective. I think she's quietly hilarious. Runs till the 28th, recommended.

Gee, I haven't been here all summer! Must be autumn then, I guess. And in getting here, I do miss the buses that go straight to Oxford Street - doesn't work so handily from where I'm based now. Tomorrow, back with Civilised London (CL) for a Lebanese meal at Al Waha, meeting beforehand at the Prince Alfred. My only Meetup of the week! I might have to take the Tube - buses at that time of day might take too long. Then I'm back to Ireland for a long weekend.

On Monday, back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) - again, it'll have been nearly three weeks since I was last with them! The occasion is a production of Giselle, by the English National Ballet, at Sadler's Wells.

Next Tuesday, back with North London Friends, to Donmar Warehouse, for Appropriate.

On the 25th, the Crick Crack Club is back! Tricksters & Fools is at Rich Mix - it's another in Crick Crack's Archetypes series, and stars Sarah Liisa Wilkinson (hello again!), Tim RalphsTUUP, and Nell Phoenix.

On the 26th, UITCS is back with Groan Ups, at the Vaudeville.

On the 27th, Love London Theatre, Arts, Music & Stuff is at Our Lady of Kibeho, at the Theatre Royal Stratford. Ahah, I knew I'd booked something else with them!

And on the 28th, I booked for the matinee of Glass. Kill. Bluebeard. Imp. at the Royal Court. And then CL organised an outing to see London Concertante perform the Four Seasons at Southwark Cathedral. What the hey, I figure I can make both! It's ages since I heard it, in fact.. and it'll be a nostalgic trip for me, as my very first Meetup with the Man with the Hat was to listen to Concertante in Southwark Cathedral. He's much missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment