Wednesday 4 September 2019

Play: The Secret River

Tonight, my first Meetup with Love London Theatre, Arts, Music & Stuff - we were off to Secret River, at the National. And there were to be a couple of people there from other groups of mine - nothing like cross-pollination! This one is about the tensions caused by Europeans' arrival in Australia. Happily, the guy I needed to speak to next about work.. left just before I could get to him! which meant I could leave too. Seriously, the whole evening had been in doubt until that moment.

I walked there again - across Blackfriars Bridge again, but not quite as far as last time, and heading along the South Bank. And it was a lovely evening for it - if you ignored the strong wind that made me very glad, as I crossed the bridge, that I wasn't wearing a hat!



At the theatre (not rushing, for once!), I picked up my ticket, then hung around for a bit, meeting one of the group. The other I'd been expecting from another group unfortunately messaged to say she couldn't make it. Well, it was good to see the one I did, and we hung around for a while before going in.



I had a decent seat, up in the Circle, and admired the stage decoration, with its hint of the countryside. Lights directed at the bare stage give the impression of either sand, or shifting tides. And the show opens with a beautiful musical performance by some of the aboriginal cast members - very soothing. I should also mention the touching tribute paid at the start to the original narrator of the show, who apparently died during the run - they had to draft someone else in at short notice, but I must say she does an excellent job.

Eh - that's it then. After the opening, it went downhill so rapidly for me I'm surprised I didn't get motion sickness. I mean, it's ok in a way - my problem with it was twofold: firstly, it told me absolutely nothing I hadn't seen before in any number of tv miniseries (I used to love the ones about the first European settlers in Australia, battling a harsh environment and peculiar wildlife - not to mention the natives): and secondly, it took absolutely forever to get to the point. About anything. No wonder the thing lasts for nearly three hours! You know, it reminded me of one of those shows that countries put on at national ceremonies.. with foreign VIPs.. televised live around the nation.. everyone who's anyone on the guest list.. Very worthy. Very ponderous. Not anything I was in the mood for - when I got up, relieved, at the interval, I had no intention of returning: and I didn't. Runs till Saturday. Not recommended.

Before I left, I met the others - turns out I know the organiser from the Man with the Hat's groups! Gee, that's an age ago - anyway, great to see her, and the rest. Look forward to the next meeting with them.

Tomorrow, back at last with Spooky London! It's ironic, he'd only just said that I'd been to all the pub socials - and I stopped going! Not deliberate, I can assure you.. this time, we're at The George. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend again.

On Monday, back with London European Club for a night at the Proms - this is Prom 68: Wagner Night. At the Royal Albert Hall, natch.

On Tuesday, back at Trafalgar Studios - this time with North London Friends, for The Fishermen.

And next Wednesday, I was back to the Proms, on my own.. Prom 71: Bach Night. But London Literary Walks finally advertised one - which is a better proposition. I just wish he'd post them earlier! This one is Bank Alleys - again, nice and convenient for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment