Saturday 28 September 2019

Plays: Glass. Kill. Bluebeard. Imp. & Concert: Concertante

Today, I booked for the matinee of Glass. Kill. Bluebeard. Imp. at the Royal Court. Excellent review in Thursday's paper. And then Civilised London (CL) organised an outing to see London Concertante perform the Four Seasons at Southwark Cathedral. What the hey, I figured I could make both! It's ages since I last heard it, in fact.. and it'd be a nostalgic trip for me, as my very first Meetup with the Man with the Hat was to listen to Concertante in Southwark Cathedral. He's much missed.

Dragged myself out of bed - after a late blogging session - to catch the bus to Sloane Square. Good job I got out early though, what with the dreadful traffic on Strand, and the diversion (not advertised by TFL) - I had quite a job explaining to elderly, hearing-challenged passengers around me where we were and what was going on. In the end, I got there with 10 minutes to spare - just as well I hadn't cut it fine to leave! Handily enough, I was in the Circle - the middle level of the main theatre here, it's on ground level. So while I did have to climb down some steps, there weren't many. I was in the slips:




Comfy leather seats, decent legroom, and an ok view - you do miss the action in the near corner (I was fourth seat in). But that was mostly fine, and I just leaned for the bits I needed to.

Four short plays in rapid succession, they have no titles (as has happened here before) to tell you the names as you switch. The themes are quite obvious, though. In contrast to the aforementioned reviewer, my particular favourite was the first - Glass has four people playing on a lit, elevated ledge; they represent glass ornaments on a mantelpiece, having a series of conversations. I love the idea.

While they set up for Kill, you get a juggler to distract you while they hammer away behind the curtain. Fair play to her, the smile never faltered - despite her dropping the clubs three times, once into the front row, where a nice man handed it back to her. When she heads off, the curtain opens to reveal a chap sat on a wispy cloud. This turns out to be a Greco-Roman god, musing on the shenanigans of the mortals down below, and constantly reminding us that the humans invented the gods, and "we don't exist". Quite matter-of-fact about it, he is. Lights a cigarette whose smoke merges with the cloud wisps. And has quite an hilarious speech to make about a convoluted proverbial Greek tragedy, and which bits of it the gods approve of, and which they don't.

More circus performance between plays - nothing was dropped the second time, though. The final piece before the interval is Bluebeard, where a number of Bluebeard's friends gather in shock after all his nefarious actions are revealed, to discuss what happened, and the fallout, and to reiterate how they had no idea! Mind you, there's opportunity in misfortune..

After the interval, we get Imp, where an elderly couple - cousins - get visits from a young relative, and another young chap who comes into their lives. Brightens the day for them y'know? But one of the cousins has this thing about this empty wine bottle she keeps to the side - seems it has an imp in it, which she can turn to for wishes when all else fails. Just as well..

Very interesting, recommended. Runs till the 12th - sold out for the run though, apart from those cheap Monday tickets, which are released on the day.

I was fainting with hunger by the time it finished - I hadn't had time to eat before I came out, and I'd checked at the interval, but all they had in the bar were odd nuts, and odder flavoured crisps. I didn't think I'd have time to order from the kitchen during the interval. And I didn't even have enough cash on me for an ice cream! so I went hungry till the end. I had seen a Cote across the square, though - I hadn't known there was a Cote here! It doesn't look big from the front, but they have a huge space at the rear - and boy, was I served fast. Well, you can expect that from the plats rapides. And despite the waiter's dessert suggestions, I knew exactly what I wanted - the coupe noire as they do it here is how it should be done: ice cream, with a separate jug of steaming chocolate sauce, with which you can douse it as you wish. I used absolutely as much as I could get out of the jug.. heaven.

Two buses to get me to Southwark Cathedral - and had I realised, upon coming down the steps from the main street, I could have just turned right under the bridge for the entrance! instead of walking all the way around. Ah well. I still got there first of the group. I'd booked with Time Out, who had an offer (oops, sorry, forgot to mention that!) - anyway, it included a free programme and cd! V nice. The others weren't far behind me, and we all schlepped in together for a quick look around the cathedral. Oh, and I blithely ignored the £2 photography permit. ;-)


 


I had a side seat - pretty close to where I was before, actually! Couldn't see much - but if I wanted a close-up of the performers, they did come to and from the dressing rooms very close to me.



Well, how reassuring to see that the jokes haven't changed! The first half was different musically from the usual, though, with a Mendelssohn piece that wasn't listed in the programme, and a Dvořák. But for me, the Four Seasons of the second half was the star of the show - it's weeks since I was at a classical concert, and years since I heard anything of the Four Seasons. As for the full thing..? No idea.. And you do forget how powerful it is. In such a beautiful venue too, it was a memorable evening.

And lo, we repaired afterwards to The Thameside Inn, where the Man in the Hat also took us on that first night. Where we had a lovely chat.. and some moreish chilli puffs. Ooh yeah, a new addition to my list of favourites.. So, glad I came. Walked home afterwards - the rain wasn't that bad.

Tomorrow is film. What came up top was - appropriately for the weather - something for the last day of the Raindance Festival, at the Vue Piccadilly. Booking seems to be on the Raindance website, rather than the Vue's - tickets with Eventbrite. And I'm going to Babysplitters - a comedy about two couples who can't decide whether they want a baby, so decide to have one they can split amongst them all! Since tickets were only available until today, I'd have had to book anyway - so I just went ahead and booked straight away.

On Monday, I'm back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) for Ballet Preljocaj - La Fresque at Sadler's Wells.

On Tuesday, we have a slightly delayed September social for ex-employees (and current, if they want) of the company I last worked for - Ivan is away till tomorrow, and of course I'm busy on Monday. So, on Tuesday we're headed to Imperial China - the new Chinese restaurant I discovered via CL. Booked for six people, it probably won't exceed that. Getting an answer out of people is predictably difficult.

On Wednesday, I'm headed to The Merry Wives of Windsor, at the Globe.

On Thursday, I'm back with CL - this should be interesting. Red Palace is an immersive cabaret experience - lots of fairytale characters, I believe - at the Vaults. And I really hope the weather is ok, because I sourced the most fantastic outfit for it..! Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend - the start of another brief hiatus from Meetup.

On the 7th, I'm off to Shushkin's Stories, at the Barbican. Performed in Russian, with English surtitles, it's a dramatisation of the short stories of Vasily Shushkin.

On the 8th, off to Wilton's, for Lady of Jazz.

On the 9th, heading to the Turbine Theatre, for Torch Song. This is the inaugural show at the new theatre in the revamped Battersea Power Station!

On the 10th, back with Meetup - North London Friends is off to A History of Water in the Middle East, at the Royal Court. Another where I got my ticket from the organiser.

On the 11th, back with UITCS - to Southwark Playhouse this time, for Preludes. D' you know, I bought their passport a while ago, which entitles you to cheap tickets to five shows - and of the last three I booked, something else came up for every single one! Hope I make this one..

On the 12th, seeing the matinee of Solaris at the Lyric Hammersmith. Turns out that both UITCS and Love London Theatre, Arts, Music & Stuff (LLTAMS) are going - so I booked with both! Why not? Each requires you to buy your own ticket. And since only the organiser and I are going from LLTAMS, I hope we can merge..

On the 13th, joining the London Improvisation Community Group for the first time - they have a show called Happily Never After at the Pleasance - part of the London Horror Festival.

On the 14th, I'm seeing Mother of Him, at the Park.

On the 15th, UITCS is off to the Albert Hall for Symphonic Queen - the Royal Philharmonic is performing Queen.

Then begins a long period of non-Meetup stuff. On the 16th, I'm heading to the ballet Manon, at the Opera House.

On the 17th, the Crick Crack Club (CCC) is back at Rich Mix, with MelusineTUUP is the headliner on this occasion, which should be terrific!

On the 18th, Helen's in town, heading to a Midge Ure concert at the Palladium - we're meeting for dinner beforehand. Now, that's the day I should be flying back to Ireland - so I'm going the next day instead. And with my mother's birthday during the week - and not having any major holidays booked - I said, why not just take the week off and spend it in Ireland? So I am.

On the 28th of next month, the CCC is back again - Ben Haggarty is in Soho Theatre with Grim Grimms - a dark take on fairytales, highlighting four lesser-known tales of the brothers Grimm. With musical accompaniment. Tickets weren't available when I noted this in my calendar - they are now, and will likely sell out.

On the 29th of next month, I'm trying to persuade the aforementioned social group from my former company to come with me to a Design My Night event - Fright Night Cinema is showing Hallowe'en in the Rivoli ballroom, with a themed cocktail bar and people dressed in spooky costumes. Now, that sounds like fun..

On the 30th of next month, back with Meetup at last - UITCS is at a mixed programme by Birmingham Royal Ballet, at Sadler's Wells. I've seen part of it before, and it's excellent.

And for Hallowe'en, The Embers Collective stepped up to the plate, with a storytelling performance called Witch, at The Jago.

No comments:

Post a Comment