Monday 9 September 2019

Concert: Prom 68 - Wagner Night

Tonight, back with London European Club (LEC) for a night at the Proms - this was Prom 68: Wagner Night. At the Royal Albert Hall, natch. And I managed to leave in good time! Two buses got me there quite fast.. and you know what they say about getting off a stop before your scheduled one, and walking the difference for exercise? I didn't have the choice - the stop at the concert hall was closed, and I joined a whole host of people who got off when we finally heard the driver's announcement. There'd been a recorded one just before that, which nobody had heard - luckily, the driver was canny enough to realise that a fair amount of people would want the Albert Hall, so took the effort to repeat the announcement for us.

A pretty short walk to the hall then, and handily the ticket gives the door number. Most of the group were standing in the central "pit" - I had a long climb to the Rausing Circle. It's not too arduous though - and I was second row from the front, so quite happy with the view. Despite the near corner of the stage being cut off.



Now, it wasn't all Wagner.. but stirring stuff all the same, reminiscent of the style. For the first section, we had some Weber, some Wagner (Siegfried), and some Franck. But after the interval, we were into the big guns - they brought on four harpists, lots of folk to play the percussion instruments that hadn't been used until then, and a couple of singers. Because now we were into the Götterdämmerung.

Someone behind me took the trouble, as the interval drew to a close, to explain the story to his companions. For me though, it's simply a combination of two things; Siegfried's Death and Funeral March will always remind me of the glorious soundtrack to Excalibur: and while I don't care for that style of singing, the climactic finale should send shivers down anyone's spine.. breathtaking.



Afterwards, a few of us met outside - and it was nice to see the folks again, it's been a while. Then it was the bus again for me - and lo, I was with the same troupe of music students that got off the bus with me earlier! I had to sit on the stairs - where I got a great view of the practically empty bus of the same number, following behind. And while it was a relief when they got off - along with a lot of others - at Piccadilly Circus, and I could get a seat, I certainly didn't hold with the opinions of the stuffy old gent who was complaining about how they'd thought they were God's gift. For what - chatting to each other?! What did he want them to do - be seen and not heard? Old git. Anyway, guess what? the bus stopped one stop short again. Gee, they do love me getting my exercise.

Tomorrow, back at Trafalgar Studios - this time with North London Friends (NLF), for The Fishermen. Wonder whether there'll be another protest.

On Wednesday, I was back to the Proms, on my own.. Prom 71: Bach Night. But London Literary Walks finally advertised one - which is a better proposition. I just wish he'd post them earlier! This one is Bank Alleys - again, nice and convenient for me! Probably be my last of the year - he doesn't run them past September, and the rest of my Wednesdays are booked for the month.

On Thursday, I was thinking film - but not being enthused about what was coming up, I booked a cheap ticket to Remember, at the Cockpit, instead.

On Friday, back with the LEC for a Scottish ceilidh! It's at Cecil Sharpe House. I had to cancel the last one of these I booked for, so hopefully I make this one!

On Saturday, London Dramatic Arts is off to see Two Ladies, with Zoe Wanamaker, at the Bridge Theatre. So am I - for half the price! (shh..) Going on my own, and will be avoiding them, as she takes umbrage at that sort of thing.

On Sunday, back with The Embers Collective - they haven't yet revealed the venue for Mischief on the Marshes! They did say, when I asked, that they'd tell me midweek..

Next Monday, finally going to see Waitress, which I had to cancel earlier in the year. It's at the Adelphi.

On the 17th, some comedy, with Shappi Khorsandi, at Soho Theatre.

On the 18th, back with Civilised London (CL) for a Lebanese meal at Al Waha, meeting beforehand at the Prince Alfred. Then I'm back to Ireland for a long weekend.

On the 23rd, back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) - again, it'll have been nearly three weeks since I was last with them! The occasion is a production of Giselle, by the English National Ballet, at Sadler's Wells.

On the 24th, back with NLF, to Donmar Warehouse, for Appropriate.

On the 25th, the Crick Crack Club is back! Tricksters & Fools is at Rich Mix - it's another in Crick Crack's Archetypes series, and stars Sarah Liisa Wilkinson, Tim RalphsTUUP, and Nell Phoenix.

On the 26th, UITCS is back with Groan Ups, at the Vaudeville.

On the 27th, Love London Theatre, Arts, Music & Stuff is at Our Lady of Kibeho, at the Theatre Royal Stratford. Ahah, I knew I'd booked something else with them!

And on the 28th, I booked for the matinee of Glass. Kill. Bluebeard. Imp. at the Royal Court. And then CL organised an outing to see London Concertante perform the Four Seasons at Southwark Cathedral. What the hey, I figure I can make both! It's ages since I heard it, in fact.. and it'll be a nostalgic trip for me, as my very first Meetup with the Man with the Hat was to listen to Concertante in Southwark Cathedral. He's much missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment