Sunday 29 September 2019

Film: Babysplitters

Today was film. What came up top was - appropriately for the weather - something for the last day of the Raindance Festival, at the Vue Piccadilly. Booking seems to be on the Raindance website, rather than the Vue's - tickets with Eventbrite. And I went to Babysplitters - a comedy about two couples who can't decide whether they want a baby, so decide to have one they can split amongst them all! Since tickets were only available until yesterday, I'd have had to book anyway - so I just went ahead and booked straight away.

Took the bus in plenty of time. The weather was a lot worse in the West End - I got off to spitting rain. Which made it all the more impressive that so many had turned out in Trafalgar Square for the Japan Matsuri Festival.



By the time I'd made it to the cinema, it was bucketing down. The cinema was buzzing..


Brunch was a packet of Minstrels. I didn't know what screen my film was in, but a handy programme of the day's events flashed up on screen after a while - and an usher announced it when the screen was ready anyway. Seating was, of course, unassigned, and I sat myself fairly centrally - the place wasn't exactly jam-packed. Lovely, plush seats - the backs recline. And beforehand, somebody in charge introduced the writer / director, who'd apparently chosen this over the Vancouver Film Festival, which would've been a lot more convenient, and flown all the way over. And gee, he's flying back for work in the morning! Dedication.. he was also doing a Q+A afterwards.


Ah jeez, he needn't have bothered. In fact, he shouldn't have bothered making this. You know the expression "Two hours of my life I'll never get back"..? Yep. Too long, too ponderous. You could see things coming a mile off. The characters were bland and boring, the comedy slight enough that when the twists and turns started to come, instead of slotting into the story, they just seemed ridiculous! People around me laughed - I just groaned "What?!" And what a predictable ending. This strikes me as a straight-to-tv-movie (the quicker the better). The minute the credits started to roll, I legged it. Well, you can't believe everything you read on IMDB.

I fancied a Chinese, and decided to try Imperial China, where we're headed on Tuesday.


Last time I was here, I had very good dim sum, and very good wine, served as a large glass. After today's visit, I know a bit more about the place - phone reception is terrible, so people won't be able to contact anyone who's already there: the satay is really spicy: the rice is good, and the chicken tender: and I don't really like their kung po. Useful to know these things.

Boy, was I glad to get home - it's miserable out, windy and wet. Tomorrow, I'm back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) for Ballet Preljocaj - La Fresque at Sadler's Wells.

On Tuesday, we have a slightly delayed September social for ex-employees (and current, if they want) of the company I last worked for - Ivan is away till today sometime, and of course I'm busy tomorrow. So, on Tuesday we're headed to Imperial China - the new Chinese restaurant I discovered via Civilised London (CL). Booked for six people, it probably won't exceed that. Getting an answer out of people is predictably difficult.

On Wednesday, I'm headed to The Merry Wives of Windsor, at the Globe.

On Thursday, I'm back with CL - this should be interesting. Red Palace is an immersive cabaret experience - lots of fairytale characters, I believe - at the Vaults. And I really hope the weather is ok, because I sourced the most fantastic outfit for it..! Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend - the start of another brief hiatus from Meetup.

On the 7th, I'm off to Shushkin's Stories, at the Barbican. Performed in Russian, with English surtitles, it's a dramatisation of the short stories of Vasily Shushkin.

On the 8th, off to Wilton's, for Lady of Jazz.

On the 9th, heading to the Turbine Theatre, for Torch Song. This is the inaugural show at the new theatre in the revamped Battersea Power Station!

On the 10th, back with Meetup - North London Friends is off to A History of Water in the Middle East, at the Royal Court. Another where I got my ticket from the organiser.

On the 11th, back with UITCS - to Southwark Playhouse this time, for Preludes. D' you know, I bought their passport a while ago, which entitles you to cheap tickets to five shows - and of the last three I booked, something else came up for every single one! Hope I make this one..

On the 12th, seeing the matinee of Solaris at the Lyric Hammersmith. Turns out that both UITCS and Love London Theatre, Arts, Music & Stuff (LLTAMS) are going - so I booked with both! Why not? Each requires you to buy your own ticket. And since only the organiser and I are going from LLTAMS, I hope we can merge..

On the 13th, joining the London Improvisation Community Group for the first time - they have a show called Happily Never After at the Pleasance - part of the London Horror Festival.

On the 14th, I'm seeing Mother of Him, at the Park.

On the 15th, UITCS is off to the Albert Hall for Symphonic Queen - the Royal Philharmonic is performing Queen.

Then begins a long period of non-Meetup stuff. On the 16th, I'm heading to the ballet Manon, at the Opera House.

On the 17th, the Crick Crack Club (CCC) is back at Rich Mix, with MelusineTUUP is the headliner on this occasion, which should be terrific!

On the 18th, Helen's in town, heading to a Midge Ure concert at the Palladium - we're meeting for dinner beforehand. Now, that's the day I should be flying back to Ireland - so I'm going the next day instead. And with my mother's birthday during the week - and not having any major holidays booked - I said, why not just take the week off and spend it in Ireland? So I am.

On the 28th, the CCC is back again - Ben Haggarty is in Soho Theatre with Grim Grimms - a dark take on fairytales, highlighting four lesser-known tales of the brothers Grimm. With musical accompaniment. Tickets weren't available when I noted this in my calendar - they are now, and will likely sell out.

On the 29th of next month, I'm trying to persuade the aforementioned social group from my former company to come with me to a Design My Night event - Fright Night Cinema is showing Hallowe'en in the Rivoli ballroom, with a themed cocktail bar and people dressed in spooky costumes. Now, that sounds like fun..

On the 30th of next month, back with Meetup at last - UITCS is at a mixed programme by Birmingham Royal Ballet, at Sadler's Wells. I've seen part of it before, and it's excellent.

And for Hallowe'en, The Embers Collective stepped up to the plate, with a storytelling performance called Witch, at The Jago.

No comments:

Post a Comment