Friday 27 September 2019

Play: Our Lady of Kibeho

Tonight, Love London Theatre, Arts, Music & Stuff (LLTAMS) was at Our Lady of Kibeho, at the Theatre Royal Stratford. Ahah, I knew I'd booked something else with them! Another palaver with me having to check whether I could present the ticket on my phone - yes I could. I hoped I'd been around there enough now that I shouldn't get lost..!

I decided to take the bus, so left in time - I hoped - to arrive there at the agreed time. A very crowded bus it was too, so I was lucky when someone right beside where I was standing got off quite soon after I got on, and I nabbed a seat. It soon became an interesting journey though, when the centre doors refused to stay closed. This really delayed us everywhere we stopped, because of course the driver couldn't drive with them open - so we had to wait until the driver could manage to get them closed, after several attempts. He finally gave up, maybe 2/3 way through my journey, and made us all get off and onto the buses of the same route that were lined up behind us. Whereupon we made excellent time.

I got off at Stratford, of course - and promptly got lost. I dunno why I always think Google Maps is sending me to the wrong side of the station - which us why I started the arduous climb all the way up the steps (the escalators being out of order) to the footbridge. Happily, my previous experience was of use to me -  I was only halfway across when I realised I should have stayed where I was, and - swearing at myself - schlepped back the way I'd come. At least I managed the shortcut through Stratford Centre - just head for the middle, where a sign tells you which way to go!

I guess I'd wasted about five minutes. Anyway, in the theatre bar, our organiser was good enough to stick her arm conspicuously in the air so I could see her - she'd managed a table, so I sat with her; the others weren't in evidence. And we chatted until it was time to head in, where we found ourselves sitting in close proximity to the others of the group. And we remarked what great seats we had - Row B, it turns out, was the front row for tonight. And you have all the legroom you could wish! Where we admired the lush vegetation with which they'd decorated the theatre: on stage, we could just see a sparse room, a picture of the Sacred Heart on the wall. A surtitle explains, at the start, that we're at Kibeho College, in Rwanda - mind you, the one disadvantage of this row is that, being so close, although you can see the surtitles, you tend not to notice them through most of the performance.

 


The play describes the real-life events that occurred in the college, where a number of children reported seeing the Virgin Mary - three of these accounts were eventually approved by the local bishop (although the play has the Vatican send an investigator). As simple and as complicated as that. The plot isn't remarkable to those familiar with the phenomenon, and with films such as The Miracle of our Lady of Fatima: what makes this production stand out though is the sheer intensity of it, with utterly convincing acting, and some pretty spooky special effects!

It's completely absorbing - I couldn't pick a favourite part, but contenders include the girls' trances whenever they're experiencing visitations: the suppressed fury of the father of one of them, when he comes to chastise his daughter for practicing what he suspects is witchcraft: the stunning singing throughout. And let's not forget the most moving scene, when they predict bloodshed and mayhem - considering the massacres that happened in Rwanda, and in Kibeho specifically, after that. A real talking point - it'd come close to making a believer out of you! Runs till the 2nd of November - highly recommended.

Afterwards, it was kind of hard to hear each other over the dj in the bar - but as we yelled at each other, we discussed the play, the phenomenon, and well, whatever. Lucky enough to get a table, we stayed till we were done and they weren't serving any more drinks. And despite my bus sailing past as I was running for the stop, when I did finally get one, it flew through the sparse nighttime traffic. A truly enjoyable (and thought-provoking) evening.

Tomorrow, I booked for the matinee of Glass. Kill. Bluebeard. Imp. at the Royal Court. Excellent review in yesterday's paper. And then Civilised London (CL) organised an outing to see London Concertante perform the Four Seasons at Southwark Cathedral. What the hey, I figure I can make both! It's ages since I heard it, in fact.. and it'll be a nostalgic trip for me, as my very first Meetup with the Man with the Hat was to listen to Concertante in Southwark Cathedral. He's much missed.

Sunday is film. What came up top was - appropriately for the weather - something for the last day of the Raindance Festival, at the Vue Piccadilly. Booking seems to be on the Raindance website, rather than the Vue's - tickets with Eventbrite. And I'm going to Babysplitters - a comedy about two couples who can't decide whether they want a baby, so decide to have one they can split amongst them all! Since tickets are only available until tomorrow, I'd have had to book anyway - so I just went ahead and booked straight away.

On Monday, I'm back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) for Ballet Preljocaj - La Fresque at Sadler's Wells.

On Tuesday, we have a slightly delayed September social for ex-employees (and current, if they want) of the company I last worked for - Ivan is away till Sunday, and of course I'm busy on Monday. So, on Tuesday we're headed to Imperial China - the new Chinese restaurant I discovered via CL. Booked for six people, it probably won't exceed that. Getting an answer out of people is predictably difficult.

On Wednesday, I'm headed to The Merry Wives of Windsor, at the Globe.

On Thursday, I'm back with CL - this should be interesting. Red Palace is an immersive cabaret experience - lots of fairytale characters, I believe - at the Vaults. And I really hope the weather is ok, because I sourced the most fantastic outfit for it..! Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend - the start of another brief hiatus from Meetup.

On the 7th, I'm off to Shushkin's Stories, at the Barbican. Performed in Russian, with English surtitles, it's a dramatisation of the short stories of Vasily Shushkin.

On the 8th, off to Wilton's, for Lady of Jazz.

On the 9th, heading to the Turbine Theatre, for Torch Song. This is the inaugural show at the new theatre in the revamped Battersea Power Station!

On the 10th, back with Meetup - North London Friends is off to A History of Water in the Middle East, at the Royal Court. Another where I got my ticket from the organiser.

On the 11th, back with UITCS - to Southwark Playhouse this time, for Preludes. D' you know, I bought their passport a while ago, which entitles you to cheap tickets to five shows - and of the last three I booked, something else came up for every single one! Hope I make this one..

On the 12th, seeing the matinee of Solaris at the Lyric Hammersmith. Turns out that both UITCS and LLTAMS are going - so I booked with both! Why not? Each requires you to buy your own ticket. And since only the organiser and I are going from LLTAMS, I hope we can merge..

On the 13th, joining the London Improvisation Community Group for the first time - they have a show called Happily Never After at the Pleasance - part of the London Horror Festival.

On the 14th, I'm seeing Mother of Him, at the Park.

On the 15th, UITCS is off to the Albert Hall for Symphonic Queen - the Royal Philharmonic is performing Queen.

Then begins a long period of non-Meetup stuff. On the 16th, I'm heading to the ballet Manon, at the Opera House.

On the 17th, the Crick Crack Club (CCC) is back at Rich Mix, with MelusineTUUP is the headliner on this occasion, which should be terrific!

On the 18th, Helen's in town, heading to a Midge Ure concert at the Palladium - we're meeting for dinner beforehand. Now, that's the day I should be flying back to Ireland - so I'm going the next day instead. And with my mother's birthday during the week - and not having any major holidays booked - I said, why not just take the week off and spend it in Ireland? So I am.

On the 28th of next month, the CCC is back again - Ben Haggarty is in Soho Theatre with Grim Grimms - a dark take on fairytales, highlighting four lesser-known tales of the brothers Grimm. With musical accompaniment. Tickets weren't available when I noted this in my calendar - they are now, and will likely sell out.

On the 29th of next month, I'm trying to persuade the aforementioned social group from my former company to come with me to a Design My Night event - Fright Night Cinema is showing Hallowe'en in the Rivoli ballroom, with a themed cocktail bar and people dressed in spooky costumes. Now, that sounds like fun..

On the 30th of next month, back with Meetup at last - UITCS is at a mixed programme by Birmingham Royal Ballet, at Sadler's Wells. I've seen part of it before, and it's excellent.

And for Hallowe'en, The Embers Collective stepped up to the plate, with a storytelling performance called Witch, at The Jago.

No comments:

Post a Comment