Wednesday 11 September 2019

Walk: Bank Alleys

Tonight, I was to be back to the Proms, with Prom 71: Bach Night. But London Literary Walks finally advertised one - which is a better proposition. I just wish he'd post them earlier! This one was Bank Alleys - again, nice and convenient for me! Probably be my last of the year - he doesn't run them past September, and the rest of my Wednesdays are booked for the month.

Wouldn't you know it, last night I was hit with a bout of sneezing. "Oh no," thought I - sure enough, I was very fluey all day - felt dreadful, and couldn't wait for the day to end. It was kind of touch and go whether I'd be well enough - but I risked it, and was very glad I did; I felt fine once I was out of the office, moving around. My nose even dried up! eventually..

It's quite a short walk to The Counting House, where we were to meet - I thought I recognised it, but don't see it in the blog, so perhaps not. And boy was it busy and noisy - they'd done well to get a booth, down the back! Where I joined them for a very nice glass of house white, and we chatted - when we could hear each other, above the din.


They rent rooms too, if you take a fancy to the place. Outside, we could hear each other speak - and the first thing he had to show us was where the Bronte sisters got published! Looks very different now, mind..


Further down, they're commemorated on a door, too:


Not to mention something of a plague of grasshoppers - apparently from the Gresham family crest, one Thomas Gresham having founded the Royal Exchange! Well, you couldn't fail to be reminded of him:


We saw more though, in this fascinating warren of streets - there was futuristic furniture:


There were churches from Oranges and Lemons:


And throughout, we had - as usual - an entertaining trip through a fascinating part of London:

 

Afterwards, there were drinks to be had for those who wanted - and a few of us spent a lovely hour or so in the Hung, Drawn, and Quartered:


..following which, I took my aching bones home.


Tomorrow, I was thinking film - but not being enthused about what was coming up, I booked a cheap ticket to Remember, at the Cockpit, instead. But hey, you know, we were chatting about it in the Hung, Drawn, and Quartered.. and when I checked the ratings, whaddya know but Midsommar finally came out on top! I've had my eye on this for ages - it's rare for a horror film to stay so highly rated for so long. Written and directed by Ari Aster, the same guy as Hereditary, it seems to be extremely well-made - the director's cut is showing tomorrow evening in Picturehouse Central. A straightforward enough story, it has a group of American pals - and one very reluctant girlfriend - travelling to Sweden for a rare midsummer festival. We might know where this is going - but I bet the journey there is fun! Watch this space..

On Friday, back with the London European Club for a Scottish ceilidh! It's at Cecil Sharpe House. I had to cancel the last one of these I booked for, so hopefully I make this one!

On Saturday, London Dramatic Arts is off to see Two Ladies, with Zoe Wanamaker, at the Bridge Theatre. So am I - for half the price! (shh..) Going on my own, and will be avoiding them, as she takes umbrage at that sort of thing.

On Sunday, back with The Embers Collective - they haven't yet revealed the venue for Mischief on the Marshes! They did say, when I asked, that they'd tell me midweek..

On Monday, finally going to see Waitress, which I had to cancel earlier in the year. It's at the Adelphi.

On Tuesday, some comedy, with Shappi Khorsandi, at Soho Theatre.

Next Wednesday, back with Civilised London (CL) for a Lebanese meal at Al Waha, meeting beforehand at the Prince Alfred. Then I'm back to Ireland for a long weekend.

On the 23rd, back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) - again, it'll have been nearly three weeks since I was last with them! The occasion is a production of Giselle, by the English National Ballet, at Sadler's Wells.

On the 24th, back with North London Friends, to Donmar Warehouse, for Appropriate.

On the 25th, the Crick Crack Club is back! Tricksters & Fools is at Rich Mix - it's another in Crick Crack's Archetypes series, and stars Sarah Liisa Wilkinson, Tim RalphsTUUP, and Nell Phoenix.

On the 26th, UITCS is back with Groan Ups, at the Vaudeville.

On the 27th, Love London Theatre, Arts, Music & Stuff is at Our Lady of Kibeho, at the Theatre Royal Stratford. Ahah, I knew I'd booked something else with them!

And on the 28th, I booked for the matinee of Glass. Kill. Bluebeard. Imp. at the Royal Court. And then CL organised an outing to see London Concertante perform the Four Seasons at Southwark Cathedral. What the hey, I figure I can make both! It's ages since I heard it, in fact.. and it'll be a nostalgic trip for me, as my very first Meetup with the Man with the Hat was to listen to Concertante in Southwark Cathedral. He's much missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment