Monday 2 September 2019

Concert: Hot Club of Jupiter

Tonight, back to Wilton's - Civilised London was at another jazz night. This time, it was the Hot Club of Jupiter! Well, I managed - eventually - to escape from the variety of people at work seeking my attention, and made my way there. Even encountered some courteous cyclists en route! How unusual. Arrived in the bar a little after the organiser - and wouldn't you know it, there were no tables! So, a little more crowded than the past few times. Never fear, we spotted people moving, and very shortly had a table by the wall.

They started a little early..


..and what followed was simply a lovely evening's music, mellow, catchy - particularly loved by the elderly lady who danced with her companion, first in the street outside, then at the bar, unable to ignore the beat. My moment of the evening.. would you believe, with violin, guitar, and double bass, they played Gnossienne No. 1, by Satie. Ah yes, worth coming to see them! And with good company too, it was a very enjoyable evening.

Tomorrow, Up in the Cheap Seats is at A Very Expensive Poison, at the Old Vic. Still in preview, this is based on a book inspired by recent Russian poisonings. I just found out one of my flatmates has been to see it - he found it "very left-wing". Is that because he's half Russian..?

On Wednesday, my first Meetup with Love London Theatre, Arts, Music & Stuff - we're off to Secret River, at the National. And there should be a couple of people there from other groups of mine - nothing like cross-pollination! This one is about the tensions caused by Europeans' arrival in Australia.

On Thursday, back at last with Spooky London! It's ironic, he'd only just said that I'd been to all the pub socials - and I stopped going! Not deliberate, I can assure you.. this time, we're at The George. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend again.

Next Monday, back with London European Club for a night at the Proms - this is Prom 68: Wagner Night. At the Royal Albert Hall, natch.

On the 10th, back at Trafalgar Studios - this time with North London Friends, for The Fishermen.

And on the 11th, I'm back to the Proms, on my own.. Prom 71: Bach Night

No comments:

Post a Comment