Monday 23 September 2019

Ballet: Akram Khan's Giselle

Tonight, back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) - again, it's been nearly three weeks since I was last with them! The occasion was a production of Giselle, by the English National Ballet, at Sadler's Wells. Choreographed by Akram Khan.

Work is so boring right now, I actually couldn't wait to get out of there. So I left earlier than I should have needed to - even walking to the theatre. In drizzle that persisted all evening. And it's a good thing I did, considering the detour I had to make for the ubiquitous roadworks. (Not counting the stress involved in dodging cyclists - two this evening: one on the pavement, one sailing through the pedestrian crossing when the light was in my favour. Seriously, they should be banned.)

Well, after a long weekend of mainly doing nothing, I really needed the exercise - and I got it, climbing all the way upstairs at the theatre. And gee, I arrived first of the group! And it was really nice to have someone to talk to - all day in the office, hardly a word passed between me and anyone. Going in to the office is becoming a real drag.



And I duly settled in my comfy "restricted view" seat. Yeah, major restriction, that teeny rail - I mean, the lady stood in front of it obviously took her own seat shortly after. I adore those "restricted view" side seats - fewer people around you, as well. Mind you, I had four sat around me tonight - and their conversation was interesting. Seems they'd all seen it before, and were back because they loved it. And were glad to be seeing it from higher than where they'd been sitting before - they remarked how you'd get a better view of the choreography from on high. So there..

It varies the original story somewhat - it starts by being set in a factory, which is obvious from the industrial decor and the rhythmic motion of the dancers. So, somewhat darker than the original, which has everyone frolicking in the countryside. After that opening section, it does help to know the story - one of the local lads is in love with Giselle, but she prefers the seductive out-of-towner. Unfortunately, he turns out to be - not only a prince - but involved with someone of much higher standing than poor Giselle. Thus spurned, she turns mad, and at the end of the first act dies of a heart attack. Not really a spoiler.

Ok, now that you know the story, you can settle down to the spectacle. Because this has the most amazing score.. as one of the group remarked, she could happily have closed her eyes and enjoyed the score on its own. It's dramatic, it's ominous, it's hypnotising. But please don't close your eyes - because my seating companions were also right about the choreography, which is absolutely stunning. Never mind the most dramatic set I've seen in a ballet. Really, at the interval we didn't know where to start to praise it.

Oh, and the second act? The mood completely changes, becomes very sinister, as the stage fills with "wilis" (ghosts). All the wilis, incidentally, spend every moment on stage en pointe - most impressive. And this is followed by the most moving pas de deux between Giselle's ghost and the man she loves - throughout, the dancing is evocative, and this part I found overwhelming. I cried - and I don't cry at ballet. I've never before seen a standing ovation in the Second Circle..

Again, I hardly knew what to say afterwards - defies description. I was glad to get the bus home though, after all my exertions (and it was still drizzling). This runs till Saturday, but tickets only left for the next two days. My new favourite ballet.. I can't wait to see it again - have ordered the dvd on Amazon! for which I used that voucher I had to go to all that trouble to pick up, last month

Tomorrow, back with North London Friends, to Donmar Warehouse, for Appropriate. Mixed reviews, I hear.

On Wednesday, the Crick Crack Club is back after the summer! Tricksters & Fools is at Rich Mix - it's another in Crick Crack's Archetypes series, and stars Sarah Liisa Wilkinson (hello again!), Tim RalphsTUUP, and Nell Phoenix.

On Thursday, UITCS is back with Groan Ups, at the Vaudeville.

On Friday, Love London Theatre, Arts, Music & Stuff is at Our Lady of Kibeho, at the Theatre Royal Stratford. Ahah, I knew I'd booked something else with them!

And on Saturday, I booked for the matinee of Glass. Kill. Bluebeard. Imp. at the Royal Court. And then Civilised London organised an outing to see London Concertante perform the Four Seasons at Southwark Cathedral. What the hey, I figure I can make both! It's ages since I heard it, in fact.. and it'll be a nostalgic trip for me, as my very first Meetup with the Man with the Hat was to listen to Concertante in Southwark Cathedral. He's much missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment