Friday 13 September 2019

Scottish Ceilidh

Tonight, back with the London European Club for a Scottish ceilidh! It was at Cecil Sharpe House - apparently they run them regularly. I had to cancel the last one of these I booked for, so was determined to make this one!



Well gee, I was the first of the group to arrive! Took a seat in the downstairs cafe and ordered a wine - probably inadvisedly, given the exertions I was about to put myself through. The others arrived in ones and twos, and we chatted away until it was time to head upstairs - the ceilidh takes place in the main hall.



Lovely room, huh? The stage is to the right of the picture, and the steps run the whole way around, providing a very handy seat for the weary - as well as a place to stash your stuff.

You need to follow a few rules for an ideal experience:
  1. Wear light, comfortable clothing - you'll move fast and get sweaty. Particularly, your shoes should be those that won't punish you after serious wear. Oh, and nothing that's likely to detach as you get spun around!
  2. Bring a bottle of water. I should have, and will if I come again. The fans in the room were appreciated, mind!
  3. Most of the dances are designed around couples, so come with someone. 
As the man said in advance - what a workout! A caller gives dance instructions from the stage. Unfortunately, they started with one that was - the caller said - one of the most difficult. My problem with it was that it involved an inordinate amount of spinning! and I'd just been drinking. (See what I mean about the drinking?) As they prepared to get it to full speed, I had to bow out.

Never mind, I was up for the next, and managed to finish it - and a few more through the evening. Wow, was I pleased to be doing one I remembered - vaguely - from school! and by and large, they were more manageable than the first. (That first, incidentally, was repeated after the interval, the caller apparently not noticing the fact!)

Our group dwindled away through the evening, till only the organiser and I were left from it - well, it's a daunting prospect. As I remarked on the way out, they should sell t-shirts saying "I Survived a Scottish Ceilidh!". Helluva workout though, and the most fun way to do it - I certainly had no trouble running for the bus, after all that exertion. The most exercise I've had in years. I'd do it again - having rested a bit..


Tomorrow, London Dramatic Arts is off to see Two Ladies, with Zoe Wanamaker, at the Bridge Theatre. So am I - for half the price! (shh..) Going on my own, and will be avoiding them, as she takes umbrage at that sort of thing. Mercifully, it's in the evening, so I get a lie-in.

On Sunday, back with The Embers Collective - they took a while to reveal the venue for Mischief on the Marshes! despite initially saying they'd tell me when I booked. They did say, when I asked, that they'd tell me midweek. In the event, they told me this morning. And then this evening, they changed their minds. Anyway, as of now, we're meeting at 6.30 sharp (!) outside the Princess of Wales pub in Clapton, for a short walk to our destination. Heh, true for the man that said we'd be on Hackney marshes! Bus seems to be the best transport option. 'Spose we have to wait for them to lead us out again, too.. We're told to bring whatever we want to eat and drink, and musicians are to bring instruments for a jamming session after.

On Monday, finally going to see Waitress, which I had to cancel earlier in the year. It's at the Adelphi.

On Tuesday, some comedy, with Shappi Khorsandi, at Soho Theatre.

On Wednesday, back with Civilised London (CL) for a Lebanese meal at Al Waha, meeting beforehand at the Prince Alfred. Then I'm back to Ireland for a long weekend.

On the 23rd, back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) - again, it'll have been nearly three weeks since I was last with them! The occasion is a production of Giselle, by the English National Ballet, at Sadler's Wells.

On the 24th, back with North London Friends, to Donmar Warehouse, for Appropriate.

On the 25th, the Crick Crack Club is back! Tricksters & Fools is at Rich Mix - it's another in Crick Crack's Archetypes series, and stars Sarah Liisa Wilkinson, Tim RalphsTUUP, and Nell Phoenix.

On the 26th, UITCS is back with Groan Ups, at the Vaudeville.

On the 27th, Love London Theatre, Arts, Music & Stuff is at Our Lady of Kibeho, at the Theatre Royal Stratford. Ahah, I knew I'd booked something else with them!

And on the 28th, I booked for the matinee of Glass. Kill. Bluebeard. Imp. at the Royal Court. And then CL organised an outing to see London Concertante perform the Four Seasons at Southwark Cathedral. What the hey, I figure I can make both! It's ages since I heard it, in fact.. and it'll be a nostalgic trip for me, as my very first Meetup with the Man with the Hat was to listen to Concertante in Southwark Cathedral. He's much missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment