Tuesday 10 September 2019

Play: The Fishermen

Tonight, back at Trafalgar Studios - this time with North London Friends (NLF), for The Fishermen. Started off in decent time, and the bus made terrific time - until Strand, where the traffic was like treacle. At least this time - unlike the last time I was here - there was no protest! I was the last of the group to arrive - and we were all quite prompt, for once! so we made our way down to the bar, and some tasty sauvignon blanc. You can take drinks in, in plastic, BTW - not that that was an issue for me; I much prefer just to down it. Easier than carrying it.

I was in the back row - but it wasn't full, and pretty much everyone in the back row got upgraded to the front. So I had an excellent view - caveat, in the front row you do need to pull your feet in, to avoid tripping up the actors. Just a couple of times. But it is an energetic performance! Not a long one, at just over an hour - no interval, of course.

It's a simple tale - just a story of two Nigerian brothers that meet and reminisce about their days spent fishing. And despite them playing eight different parts between them, it's a tribute to both the writing and acting that I never found myself confused. A simple set, too - mainly just a series of metal rods, stuck upright into supports, representing walls - or rushes - or just separation. Or they can be removed, to play the part of fishing rods.

I was absolutely blown away. I didn't know what to expect, and for plays, I don't usually raise my expectations too high - but this is marvellous. The sheer intensity of it, the passion in the performances, the way they throw themselves into each character. The story itself concerns the boys' - and their brothers' - decision to start to fish (against their father's wishes: he'd prefer them to spend their time studying). Well, that'd have been all right.. except for the strange madman they meet, who seems to have magical powers - and the prophecy he makes about one of them. Thus, a dreadful chain of events is started.

It's compelling, scary in parts. Utterly believable. I haven't read the Booker Prize-shortlisted book on which this is based, but it looks as though they've managed to transfer some of the essence of it to the stage. Can't recommend this highly enough! Runs till the 12th of next month - and not to be sold out every single night is a travesty. As I'm sure the several members of the audience who joined in a standing ovation would agree. Contains strobe lighting. And cashew nuts.

Spent a very pleasant time together in the bar afterwards - just missed my bus home, of course, and had to wait. Tomorrow, I was to be back to the Proms, with Prom 71: Bach Night. But London Literary Walks finally advertised one - which is a better proposition. I just wish he'd post them earlier! This one is Bank Alleys - again, nice and convenient for me! Probably be my last of the year - he doesn't run them past September, and the rest of my Wednesdays are booked for the month.

On Thursday, I was thinking film - but not being enthused about what was coming up, I booked a cheap ticket to Remember, at the Cockpit, instead.

On Friday, back with the London European Club for a Scottish ceilidh! It's at Cecil Sharpe House. I had to cancel the last one of these I booked for, so hopefully I make this one!

On Saturday, London Dramatic Arts is off to see Two Ladies, with Zoe Wanamaker, at the Bridge Theatre. So am I - for half the price! (shh..) Going on my own, and will be avoiding them, as she takes umbrage at that sort of thing.

On Sunday, back with The Embers Collective - they haven't yet revealed the venue for Mischief on the Marshes! They did say, when I asked, that they'd tell me midweek..

On Monday, finally going to see Waitress, which I had to cancel earlier in the year. It's at the Adelphi.

Next Tuesday, some comedy, with Shappi Khorsandi, at Soho Theatre.

On the 18th, back with Civilised London (CL) for a Lebanese meal at Al Waha, meeting beforehand at the Prince Alfred. Then I'm back to Ireland for a long weekend.

On the 23rd, back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) - again, it'll have been nearly three weeks since I was last with them! The occasion is a production of Giselle, by the English National Ballet, at Sadler's Wells.

On the 24th, back with NLF, to Donmar Warehouse, for Appropriate.

On the 25th, the Crick Crack Club is back! Tricksters & Fools is at Rich Mix - it's another in Crick Crack's Archetypes series, and stars Sarah Liisa Wilkinson, Tim RalphsTUUP, and Nell Phoenix.

On the 26th, UITCS is back with Groan Ups, at the Vaudeville.

On the 27th, Love London Theatre, Arts, Music & Stuff is at Our Lady of Kibeho, at the Theatre Royal Stratford. Ahah, I knew I'd booked something else with them!

And on the 28th, I booked for the matinee of Glass. Kill. Bluebeard. Imp. at the Royal Court. And then CL organised an outing to see London Concertante perform the Four Seasons at Southwark Cathedral. What the hey, I figure I can make both! It's ages since I heard it, in fact.. and it'll be a nostalgic trip for me, as my very first Meetup with the Man with the Hat was to listen to Concertante in Southwark Cathedral. He's much missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment