Saturday 14 September 2019

Play: Two Ladies

Tonight, London Dramatic Arts was off to see Two Ladies, with Zoe Wanamaker, at the Bridge Theatre. So was I - for half the price! (shh..) Going on my own, and would be avoiding them, as she takes umbrage at that sort of thing. Mercifully, it was in the evening, so I got a lie-in.

Had a lovely, lazy day.. was just thinking about getting something to eat when someone came banging around the flat. Turned out to be the cleaner! First time in nearly six weeks, when we're supposed to have someone come every 10 days or so. Huh. Well, I decided to leave him to it, and eat out - nothing fancy, KFC appealed. So I had my usual boneless banquet - with a side of beans (love 'em). And I'm delighted to find that they provide sporks at the condiment stand, so I could eat them properly! Handy that they also provide sachets of sauce there, as I wasn't provided with any - but at least they didn't forget the fries, this time! And you know, I was served almost immediately - despite a long queue (heaven knows what they ordered!). There was seating upstairs - most of which was clean enough - and it was piping hot, and delicious. I left very pleased with myself.

Had a nap thereafter, before heading out to walk to the theatre. I'd never done that to this theatre before - and it's not really a long walk at all. Takes you past the Tower, and across Tower Bridge.



Now, it seems you can look up the opening times of the bridge - and it's a shame I didn't. Because, with minutes to go, and the theatre in sight, on the opposite bank - what happened?!



(sigh) Not much I could do about that. When they finally - leisurely - let us through, I was already late. In the theatre, they sent me downstairs to find someone to lead us to our seats (I was one of about five latecomers); she then took me back upstairs (and through the wrong door) to wait for the right moment to take us in. And I had booked a perfectly decent seat, with a nice, straight-on view. Just a shame it was in the middle of the row, and most of them decided it'd be easier to come out entirely, rather than have me squeeze past! To top it all, as I was taking my coat off (gingerly, trying to disturb my companions as little as possible), my phone, which was in the pocket, went clattering to the floor. These are high stools, and I hadn't a hope of getting it until the play was over. And there is no interval. I consoled myself with the thought that it was on silent..

The two main characters are the First Ladies of the United States and France, respectively. And although the characters' details have deviated slightly from the people they represent - the First Lady of the United States is Croatian, not Slovenian, and has no children, and the First Lady of France is an Englishwoman called Helen (played by Zoe Wanamaker), not a Frenchwoman called Brigitte, they are absolutely the spitting image of the women they are portraying. The First Lady of the U.S. is younger, with the flowing, dark locks (which she keeps fiddling with), the bag full of makeup, the high maintenance outfit - while the First Lady of France is older, with the blonde bob and the boxier, statesmanlike suit. And tells us, at one point, about how she was teacher to the 17-year-old boy who would become President, with whom she started an affair, and for whom she left her perfectly nice husband.

So, the play is set on the Cote d' Azur, where various heads of state are meeting. There's just been another coordinated terrorist attack on the States, the President is bleating about retaliatory strikes, and has come to persuade the French President to back him. At the start of the play, the political figures are already closeted in a room, while the First Ladies are forced to spend time together in another room before attending a women's event at which the Melania character is to give a speech. Thing is, on the way in, a protester managed to get past security and throw a bucket of blood over Melania's nice - white - outfit. So the first priority is to get her cleaned up, and get her a change of clothes.

I was unsure about the start of the play, where the characters play very much to type - Melania is spouting her husband's philosophies, "Helen" is disapproving, and very much the intellectual snob, flaunting her superior learning. I certainly didn't share the mirth of the audience, who - true to form - were tittering away from the start. Sure enough, it was when they stopped laughing that I started to enjoy it.

Because this play does what every good play should - it confounds your expectations, and it gives you a lot to think about. As the women talk, we learn the common ground they have - and as the play continues, and they're still stuck in this room, unable to contact their husbands, leave, or do anything at all of use (despite their elevated positions), we learn how even they can be called powerless. And as they discuss why they are, and what they can do about it, we see how the powerless can be motivated to act as they do.

Very interesting questions raised, about international politics, about warfare, and about the role of men vs women. Highly recommended. And d'you know, despite being straight through (obviously so as not to disturb the room's claustrophobic atmosphere), and 1h40m long, I really didn't feel it. Kudos both to the writing, and to the comfiness of the seats in the Bridge! Booking till the 26th of next month.

I never did see anyone from the group. Oh, and on the way home, wouldn't you know it, I stumbled and fell - scraped my knees a bit and bruised my hand. I'll live - as will the poor phone, which took another tumble. Just as well they have gorilla glass!



Tomorrow, back with The Embers Collective - they took a while to reveal the venue for Mischief on the Marshes! despite initially saying they'd tell me when I booked. They did say, when I asked, that they'd tell me midweek. In the event, they told me yesterday morning. And then yesterday evening, they changed their minds. Anyway, as of now, we're meeting at 6.30 sharp (!) outside the Princess of Wales pub in Clapton, for a short walk to our destination. Heh, true for the man that said we'd be on Hackney marshes! Bus seems to be the best transport option. 'Spose we have to wait for them to lead us out again, too.. We're told to bring whatever we want to eat and drink, and musicians are to bring instruments for a jamming session after. Again, glad they're not starting early.

On Monday, finally going to see Waitress, which I had to cancel earlier in the year. It's at the Adelphi.

On Tuesday, some comedy, with Shappi Khorsandi, at Soho Theatre.

On Wednesday, back with Civilised London (CL) for a Lebanese meal at Al Waha, meeting beforehand at the Prince Alfred. Then I'm back to Ireland for a long weekend.

On the 23rd, back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) - again, it'll have been nearly three weeks since I was last with them! The occasion is a production of Giselle, by the English National Ballet, at Sadler's Wells.

On the 24th, back with North London Friends, to Donmar Warehouse, for Appropriate.

On the 25th, the Crick Crack Club is back! Tricksters & Fools is at Rich Mix - it's another in Crick Crack's Archetypes series, and stars Sarah Liisa Wilkinson, Tim RalphsTUUP, and Nell Phoenix.

On the 26th, UITCS is back with Groan Ups, at the Vaudeville.

On the 27th, Love London Theatre, Arts, Music & Stuff is at Our Lady of Kibeho, at the Theatre Royal Stratford. Ahah, I knew I'd booked something else with them!

And on the 28th, I booked for the matinee of Glass. Kill. Bluebeard. Imp. at the Royal Court. And then CL organised an outing to see London Concertante perform the Four Seasons at Southwark Cathedral. What the hey, I figure I can make both! It's ages since I heard it, in fact.. and it'll be a nostalgic trip for me, as my very first Meetup with the Man with the Hat was to listen to Concertante in Southwark Cathedral. He's much missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment