Monday 30 September 2019

Ballet Preljocaj - La Fresque

Tonight, I was back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) for Ballet Preljocaj - La Fresque at Sadler's Wells. And this evening, the organiser messaged us to say, if we got a call from the theatre, pick up - she just got an upgrade! She also suggested we could ask at the box office. So, you know, I politely emailed them, said my friend had been upgraded to the stalls and could I be as well, if it wasn't too much trouble? Within the hour, I had a central seat in Row D. Which turned out to be the furthest forward of any of the group. :-) Mind you, Row F - where she was - had the premium seats.. I think we all did well. Certainly, face value of my new seat was £40 (I paid £15).

I could have walked, but left it a bit late - and anyway, it was pouring rain. So I took the bus. Got my replacement ticket at the box office, and looked around for the others. We'd originally arranged to meet at the top level bar, since we had all booked up there - but of course, everyone ended up being upgraded. And just as I had visions of having to climb all the way up there to meet them - lo, down they came! Perfect timing. And we chatted away before going in, and having the luxury of hardly any steps to climb.



Yes, this is the un-zoomed-in version of that teeny red rectangle that generally appears in my Sadler's Wells photos. Nice, innit? So, I settled in - and spent the better part of the next 10 minutes trying to get my phone to turn off. Blasted updates always mess it up.. I finally just turned it to silent and placed it in my bag. Upside down. Where it didn't bother me, or anyone else.

This piece is about 90 minutes, straight through - as someone said, what a lot of dancing! And it's visually stunning throughout, with a catchy, rock theme. Strands swirl and twirl on the screen as the dancers mimic the action, and a central story involves a couple of travellers, who arrive at a temple, seem to have a bit of a fracas with some monks, and then one becomes entranced by one of the women in a fresco.. who duly comes to life! Watch out for the scary guards who come to break up the lovers though - in a truly impressive sequence, one becomes three, and they're most intimidating. It's a bit blinding though, if you're sat directly facing it.

A terrific show - we couldn't believe there was little enough interest for the theatre to be offering upgrades. Runs till Wednesday - highly recommended. You might even get an upgrade..! My phone finally started to behave.. And yes, it was still raining when we came out - dodging puddles that traffic was splashing onto pedestrians was the game of the evening. But hey, on the plus side, when I got home, my dvd of Akram Khan's Giselle had arrived..! Jeez, that's two great Sadler's Wells shows in a row - no wonder I keep coming back to these! Indeed, members of the group were scouring the programme of upcoming events before we left the theatre!

Tomorrow, we have a slightly delayed September social for ex-employees (and current, if they want) of the company I last worked for - Ivan was away till yesterday, and of course I was busy tonight. So, tomorrow we're headed to Imperial China - the new Chinese restaurant I discovered via Civilised London (CL). Booked for six people, it probably won't exceed that. Getting an answer out of people is predictably difficult.

On Wednesday, I'm headed to The Merry Wives of Windsor, at the Globe.

On Thursday, I'm back with CL - this should be interesting. Red Palace is an immersive cabaret experience - lots of fairytale characters, I believe - at the Vaults. And I really hope the weather is ok, because I sourced the most fantastic outfit for it..! Last night, someone from the group took the trouble to read the T&Cs - fair play her! - and realised that we have to wear masks. Damnit, and I have one from Venice that would have done perfectly! except it's back in Ireland. Ah well, they'll have cheap ones for sale on the door - just hope I don't freeze, what with this hurricane that's headed this way.. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend - the start of another brief hiatus from Meetup.

Next Monday, I'm off to Shushkin's Stories, at the Barbican. Performed in Russian, with English surtitles, it's a dramatisation of the short stories of Vasily Shushkin.

On the 8th, off to Wilton's, for Lady of Jazz.

On the 9th, heading to the Turbine Theatre, for Torch Song. This is the inaugural show at the new theatre in the revamped Battersea Power Station!

On the 10th, back with Meetup - North London Friends is off to A History of Water in the Middle East, at the Royal Court. Another where I got my ticket from the organiser.

On the 11th, back with UITCS - to Southwark Playhouse this time, for Preludes. D' you know, I bought their passport a while ago, which entitles you to cheap tickets to five shows - and of the last three I booked, something else came up for every single one! Hope I make this one.. reports of it being "weird" don't phase me in the slightest!

On the 12th, seeing the matinee of Solaris at the Lyric Hammersmith. Turns out that both UITCS and Love London Theatre, Arts, Music & Stuff (LLTAMS) are going - so I booked with both! Why not? Each requires you to buy your own ticket. And since only the organiser and I are going from LLTAMS, I hope we can merge..

On the 13th, joining the London Improvisation Community Group for the first time - they have a show called Happily Never After at the Pleasance - part of the London Horror Festival.

On the 14th, I'm seeing Mother of Him, at the Park.

On the 15th, UITCS is off to the Albert Hall for Symphonic Queen - the Royal Philharmonic is performing Queen.

Then begins a long period of non-Meetup stuff. On the 16th, I'm heading to the ballet Manon, at the Opera House.

On the 17th, the Crick Crack Club (CCC) is back at Rich Mix, with MelusineTUUP is the headliner on this occasion, which should be terrific!

On the 18th, Helen's in town, heading to a Midge Ure concert at the Palladium - we're meeting for dinner beforehand. Now, that's the day I should be flying back to Ireland - so I'm going the next day instead. And with my mother's birthday during the week - and not having any major holidays booked - I said, why not just take the week off and spend it in Ireland? So I am.

On the 28th, the CCC is back again - Ben Haggarty is in Soho Theatre with Grim Grimms - a dark take on fairytales, highlighting four lesser-known tales of the brothers Grimm. With musical accompaniment. Tickets weren't available when I noted this in my calendar - they are now, and will likely sell out.

On the 29th, I'm trying to persuade the aforementioned social group from my former company to come with me to a Design My Night event - Fright Night Cinema is showing Hallowe'en in the Rivoli ballroom, with a themed cocktail bar and people dressed in spooky costumes. Now, that sounds like fun..

On the 30th of next month, back with Meetup at last - UITCS is at a mixed programme by Birmingham Royal Ballet, at Sadler's Wells. I've seen part of it before, and it's excellent.

And for Hallowe'en, The Embers Collective stepped up to the plate, with a storytelling performance called Witch, at The Jago.

No comments:

Post a Comment