Sunday 18 August 2019

Cartoon Museum & Film: Apollo 11

Today, had to be up a bit earlier - I was going with Civilised London to the Cartoon Museum - with optional dim sum afterwards. Yes please! I was the only taker - never mind, it's happened before!

It took quite a while to blog about yesterday - so I got to bed quite late, and didn't appreciate the early start. Never mind, I eventually dragged myself out of it - and made my bus in time: early, in fact! I see people still haven't accustomed themselves to not being able to board at the middle - yes, awkward, but with so many fare-dodgers, TFL didn't have a choice! I saw them several times myself. Anyway, I was lucky with buses - I had to change, and my second bus arrived just as I did. Cue a most pleasant stroll at the end - the rain that was pouring down earlier had stopped, and it was now pleasantly sunny. And it's so long since I strolled these streets on a Sunday morning!

The Cartoon Museum opens at 12, which was when we had arranged to meet - my companion rocked up a few minutes after I did, and just in time. :-) They opened ever so slightly late, by my watch.. but it was well worth the wait. Stairs leading down to the basement, where the museum is located, are decorated with previews of what you can see, and free lockers are provided at the bottom, should you wish to leave your stuff.



More photos here, if you can access it. And gee, there's a photo opportunity just inside the door!



Next comes a rather tempting giftshop, which we patronised both on arrival and departure. And past that is a fabulous collection of cartoons from the 1700s right up to the present day, with one room dedicated to comic strips - let Dennis the Menace show you the way!



Cartoons range from the amusing..




..to the political..



..to scathing social commentary, past and present:


As advertised on the way in, the one museum where you are encouraged to laugh out loud! And should you be accompanied by kids who feel the spark, they run workshops:



A terrific way to pass the time! And we spent over an hour there, even with the absence of some exhibits, removed because of a leak that they're in the process of fixing.

Afterwards to Chinatown, and a restaurant I hadn't been in before, but would be delighted to go back to! Imperial China has an ornate entrance, a bridge crossing a fishpond:




Apparently you can't book on Sundays, but they had a table for us - and we were very well fed, sharing a variety of delicious dim sum. Some things I liked more than others, but all were tasty.. as was the house white! I must find an excuse to come back..

So, a lovely day so far - but it was still early, not yet 3pm. My companion left me at this point, but I felt like hanging around - thought I'd go see a film. Well, next on my list was Apollo 11.. and wouldn't you know it, it's showing at the Prince Charles, which I was standing right beside! The next showing was in just over an hour, so I bought myself a ticket - I was lucky with the time; checking afterwards, I could see it was the most convenient time this week.




Killing time before the film, I decided I'd like an ice cream. Couldn't see anywhere around Leicester Square that didn't involve a full meal.. but Google Maps helpfully directed me to La Gelateria, a short walk away. You can buy by the tub or cone (cone, of course!), and choose small (one scoop), medium (two scoops), or large (three scoops). They were out of the (very) dark chocolate, and I considered the chocolate with chilli.. but the cocoa hazelnut caught my eye, and I had a large cone of that. I don't much like mixing flavours, though I could've. Now, they're not the cheapest - but they don't skimp on the quantities, and the large takes some eating - I only just managed it. In fact, it was such a quantity that the salesman decided that one cone wasn't enough, and "double-coned" it. And yes, it was delicious..

The screen opened slightly before the screening time, and I went up. I'd forgotten how very comfy the seats are, upstairs at the Price Charles - spacious, leather seats, that don't recline as such, but kind of rock backwards. Gorgeous. Nearly dropped off, in fact..

Which I didn't. Which is just as well, because Apollo 11 is quite compelling. Free of narration, it's a well-edited compilation of actual clips from the first moon landing, 50 years ago this year. And there's no shortage of those - comprehending the momentousness of the event, they provided blanket tv coverage. So we get to see the anxious - then joyful - faces inside Mission Control, the astronauts as they make their way onto the rocket, and footage of the families that have driven out hours early, to pick a good vantage point to see the launch from. Complete with picnics and binoculars! and hats and sunglasses - the weather was sunny.

As the mission gets underway, a clock to the side times the important events for us - so much time to blast-off, so much time till landing on the moon, and so on. And the background music is terrific! Tense music underscores the parts of the mission where something could go wrong, echoed in the faces of those in Mission Control. But there's more lighthearted music for the fun parts. And the actual moon landing - and return of the astronauts to Earth - is unexpectedly moving. Well, well worth seeing - and a terrific end to my day. Oh, and my bus home came straight away! ;-)

Tomorrow, I'm finally going to see Evita, at Regent's Park Open Air Theatre. Never have seen it. Showers promised.. bah. Well, if the weather is bad enough, they'll cancel.

On Tuesday, with the London European Club at the Globe - we're going to risk The Comedy of Errors.

On Wednesday, I'm seeing Showtune - an evening of Jerry Herman music - at the Union Theatre.

On Thursday, I'm still looking at a film - but of course, my choice keeps changing! Now, top of the list is a preview of Pain & Glory, the latest by Almodóvar, starring a very grey Antonio Banderas as an ageing filmmaker, looking back over his life, and Penélope Cruz as his mother. Or that's what it looks like from the trailer!

I'm back in Ireland for the bank holiday weekend - Ryanair strike permitting! Depends on what nationality our pilot is - and whether they voted to strike..

On the 27th, The Embers Collective is back - at Dalston Eastern Curve Garden this time. There'll be storytelling, there'll be music - and hopefully food. And we're making that the occasion of this month's social from my last company! Be great to see everyone again. And at least I don't have to depend on the Tube this time - unlike last Thursday!

On the 28th, London Science Events is off to a Science Museum Late.

And on the 29th and 30th, finally back with Up in the Cheap Seats - first time in three weeks! On the 29th, it's HMS Pinafore at Wilton's.

And on the 30th, we're at Treemonisha, by Scott Joplin, at the Arcola. Part of the Grimeborn Opera Festival.

No comments:

Post a Comment