Monday 19 August 2019

Musical: Evita

Tonight, I finally went to see Evita, at Regent's Park Open Air Theatre. Never had seen it before. Showers promised.. bah. Well, if the weather had been bad enough, they'd have cancelled.

It poured rain earlier - but sure enough, the evening brightened up nicely. I left in good time - had to, if I wanted to take the bus; it'd take almost an hour, and I'd have to change! Two very packed buses, they were - and on the second, a very polite, elderly gentleman asked whether he might join me (on the spare seat beside me). I said yes, he sat - and bade me a smiley goodbye as he got off. How unusually genteel..

It was a lovely - if chilly - walk to the theatre from where I got off.



And along the way, I appear to have found a sculpture exhibition!





and one I think is a permanent fixture - I don't usually come in this way.



The theatre isn't perfectly signposted, which is where Google Maps come in handy. A moment to check my bag, another to scan the ticket - and I was in.



Damn, it was cold - that was the only problem. Halfway through, I was wishing I had gloves.. and was jealous throughout of the people who brought a blanket for their knees, and another who'd wrapped herself in a sleeping bag. It didn't help that I was second row from the top - all I could do was button my coat to the top and shudder.

Ah, but I wouldn't have missed it for the world. That gorgeous score just captivated the whole place.. stunningly well-sung, too. I don't believe I've heard better, here - nor seen such enthusiasm in this venue, expressed in an exuberant standing ovation at the end. The show started with a bang, literally - signs at the entrance warn of flashing lights, CO2 guns, loud noises.. we get explosions of tickertape, streamers, acrid-smelling smoke. I hate to think what kind of a mess the place will be at the end of the run - they don't do a perfect job of clearing it up after each show, and tonight the wind was taking it all over. Some audience members draped streamers over themselves as an ornament.

This production is fantastic - lively, sexy, complete with tango and topless male dancers. Indeed, there's a lot of bare skin - they must have had goosebumps tonight! Kudos to them for the discomfort. The visuals are spectacular - not only, as mentioned, do they not skimp on the theatrics, but they dispose the chorus cleverly around the stage to maximum effect, and it looks terrific, ranging from creepy soldiers lining the stage, to crowds of mourners singing tribute to Evita.

Honestly, I cannot imagine a better production of this - now running at #2 in my list of all-time favourite musicals (still prefer Les Miserables!). Five stars - a must-see; indeed, unusually for me, I'd love to see it again. Runs till the 21st of next month. I was delighted as I left (and not only to get out of the cold!). Mercifully, the bus came quickly - and was practically empty. And I could get it straight home.

Tomorrow, with the London European Club at the Globe - we're going to risk The Comedy of Errors. Unfortunately, the organiser can't make it, and I haven't met any of the others before - we shall see. Anyway, I've learned my lesson - I'll wrap up a bit better.

On Wednesday, I'm seeing Showtune - an evening of Jerry Herman music - at the Union Theatre.

On Thursday, I'm still looking at a film - but of course, my choice keeps changing! Now, top of the list is a preview of Pain & Glory, the latest by Almodóvar, starring a very grey Antonio Banderas as an ageing filmmaker, looking back over his life, and Penélope Cruz as his mother, in flashback. On Thursday, previewing at the Curzon Soho. I'm keeping an eye on it.

I'm back in Ireland for the bank holiday weekend - Ryanair strike permitting! Depends on what nationality our pilot is - and whether they voted to strike..

On the 27th, The Embers Collective is back - at Dalston Eastern Curve Garden this time. There'll be storytelling, there'll be music - and hopefully food. And we're making that the occasion of this month's social from my last company! Be great to see everyone again. And at least I don't have to depend on the Tube this time - unlike last Thursday!

On the 28th, London Science Events is off to a Science Museum Late.

And on the 29th and 30th, finally back with Up in the Cheap Seats - first time in three weeks! On the 29th, it's HMS Pinafore at Wilton's.

And on the 30th, we're at Treemonisha, by Scott Joplin, at the Arcola. Part of the Grimeborn Opera Festival.

No comments:

Post a Comment