Friday 30 August 2019

Opera: Treemonisha

Tonight, the second of three days in a row with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS): we were at Treemonisha, by Scott Joplin, at the Arcola. Part of the Grimeborn Opera Festival. So, back to Dalston again! Right around the corner from the garden. Sold out by today. I - as usual - left slightly late, but my bus made such good time that I got there early! Mind you, I still haven't caught up on my sleep - nearly dropped off, just as I was to get off..

But I didn't. So I got off outside the garden, walked around the corner - and past the massive queue for something next door - and into the theatre. It's lovely that you can just display your ticket on a phone now, so I didn't have to bother with the box office. As I say, I was slightly early - literally 55 seconds before the organiser pinged us to say that some of them were sat in the bar. So in I went, and chatted to some I knew, and some I didn't - but it was all very pleasant. I had to laugh though when the barman mistook my order, and thought I said "medium" instead of "large" - how those get confused is beyond me. Methinks he wasn't paying attention. Not that the "large" is so large - 175ml? Ah well. Meantime, our organiser was trying to get shot of a load of bananas she'd bought on the way.. she hadn't realised that the offer included so many! Not many takers, though..

So we went in at the appointed time - just as well I'm a quick drinker, because you can't take drink onto the balcony, here - where I was. We found two more of the group there, sat right behind us.




That's a kind of safety wire you can see, stretched across. The band, as you can also see, spend the evening perched above the stage, and the staging is minimal. Pretty stuffy in there too - it was a relief to gather outside at the interval and the end, and get a cool breeze.

Like last night, beautifully sung, and like last night, I missed a lot of what they were singing. However, it generally seemed easier tonight - and certainly the plot is simple enough. Set in 1884, it tells the story of the one educated young black woman in the community, who scoffs at the local witch doctor, ends up being kidnapped - then rescued: she returns to her community, and at the end, she pardons two of the witch doctors, whom her community has captured.

As you might expect, given the composer, it's the catchiest opera I think I've ever seen! In fact, he won a Pulitzer Prize for Music for this piece. He combined ragtime most effectively with a more operatic score - but only in the dance sequences. And it's great to listen to. None of us were so impressed with the story though, and apparently it's attracted criticism before. To me, it felt unfinished. But hey, it's interesting - tomorrow's final performance is also sold out though. Still, there were a few free seats tonight, so you never know..

Afterwards, I left our organiser to catch my bus. And she lugged a load of bananas homeward. Funnily enough, the bus I took home passed my last flat - and the one I took to the theatre earlier passed the one I lived in before that! Well, that's what you get for moving around the same area. Once I got off the bus, I had other obstacles to navigate - honestly, this proliferation of rental bikes without docking stations is just a nuisance.




Was thinking about a film for tomorrow. And after all the effort of doing the film list - I didn't like what came top of the list: at least, not more than I liked the idea of a new event posted by UITCS, to see Actually, at Trafalgar Studios. A play about sexual politics sounds like it could be interesting, if done right. So I booked it. Special offer - great value - from Today Tix. Mind you, I just heard there's to be a huge demo outside, with road closures.. should be interesting too! Protesting against the prorogation of Parliament.

On Sunday, I'm off to the Kubrick Exhibition! Taking place at the Design Museum, this should be fascinating - I've seen so many of his films, and I believe some sets have been reconstructed.

On Monday, back to Wilton'sCivilised London is at another jazz night. This time, it's the Hot Club of Jupiter!

On Tuesday, UITCS is at A Very Expensive Poison, at the Old Vic. Still in preview, this is based on a book inspired by recent Russian poisonings.

On Wednesday, my first Meetup with Love London Theatre, Arts, Music & Stuff - we're off to Secret River, at the National. And there should be a couple of people there from other groups of mine - nothing like cross-pollination! This one is about the tensions caused by Europeans' arrival in Australia.

On Thursday, back at last with Spooky London! It's ironic, he'd only just said that I'd been to all the pub socials - and I stopped going! Not deliberate, I can assure you.. this time, we're at The George. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend again.

On the 9th, back with London European Club for a night at the Proms - this is Prom 68: Wagner Night. At the Royal Albert Hall, natch.

On the 10th, back at Trafalgar Studios - this time with North London Friends, for The Fishermen.

And on the 11th, I'm back to the Proms, on my own.. Prom 71: Bach Night

No comments:

Post a Comment