Wednesday 21 August 2019

Concert: Showtune

Tonight, I saw Showtune - an evening of Jerry Herman music - at the Union Theatre. By 'eck, I could walk there again from the office! Mind you, I left later than intended, so it was quite a brisk walk. And it was just as well I skipped going to the loo on the way out - though I wanted to go.. I was only just in time. Turns out I was there before (years ago), but I have no memory of it at all.. anyway, I might have been the very first person to book for tonight (as he told me, checking my name off the list), but I was the very last in the door. Practically sold out, from what I could see. Seating is unassigned - I managed a seat on the aisle, and was pretty high up, but it's a small place, so nowhere is far from the stage. Damn stuffy though - I thought I saw a cooler by the door, but it didn't achieve much.

The stage is scattered with bits and pieces of costume, calling to mind the dressing room of a stage star. Several outfit changes throughout the evening are performed behind screens on stage - they're short on space, after all! And this is simply a medley of the man's music. Honestly, I wasn't familiar with most of it - but I bet everyone knows Hello, Dolly! and I Am What I Am. And perhaps Look What Happened to Mabel.

With music of that calibre, it doesn't really matter if you've heard it before - it's all good. And the performances are generally top-notch.. a few weak voices. But the choreography is good, and the use of space - it fits together seamlessly, with a guy to the side on piano providing musical accompaniment. Basically a terrific night out for those of us who love, well, showtunes! Recommended - runs till Saturday, booking recommended. And as always when I watch something like this.. I do wonder how the Man with the Hat is doing. Of all the people I've met, this world reminds me of him more than anyone.
Slightly too far to walk home, but I was just in time for a bus - which fairly flew me there! 

Tomorrow, I'm still looking at a film - but of course, my choice kept changing! Now, top of the list is a preview of Pain & Glory, the latest by Almodóvar, starring a very grey Antonio Banderas as an ageing filmmaker, looking back over his life, and Penélope Cruz as his mother, in flashback. Tomorrow, previewing at the Curzon Soho. I kept an eye on it, and this evening, finally more than half the seats were booked - so I grabbed my chance, and booked one while I still could.

I'm back in Ireland for the bank holiday weekend - Ryanair seems to be drafting in pilots to cover those who are striking, and assures me that all flights on Friday are going ahead as scheduled.

On Tuesday, The Embers Collective is back - at Dalston Eastern Curve Garden this time. There'll be storytelling, there'll be music - and hopefully food. And we're making that the occasion of this month's social from my last company! Be great to see everyone again. And at least I don't have to depend on the Tube this time - unlike last Thursday!

Next Wednesday, London Science Events is off to a Science Museum Late. Just remembered today to book a ticket - although they're free, you do need to book. Ironically, it was also today that London Literary Walks finally advertised another walk - for that day! Much more interesting, so I'm going on that instead. It's The Hampstead Walk. I'm rather relieved - it took him ages to arrange this, and I was afraid he'd given up!

And on the 29th and 30th, finally back with Up in the Cheap Seats - first time in three weeks! On the 29th, it's HMS Pinafore at Wilton's.

And on the 30th, we're at Treemonisha, by Scott Joplin, at the Arcola. Part of the Grimeborn Opera Festival.

No comments:

Post a Comment