Thursday 15 August 2019

Film: Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood

Tonight, I booked with The Embers Collective, who were performing Full Moon Stories at Cafe Cairo. That far out, it had to be Tube - I took the Central Line (ugh!) to Bank (ugh!), having to wait for the second along, the first train was so crowded. Well, this was just after rush hour, so I wasn't surprised that Bank was crowded - I suspected something was up, though, when I got all the way down to the Northern Line tunnels, and saw that the Northbound line was closed, with a horrendous queue for the Southbound, which I wanted. The queue wasn't moving, either - and when someone coming out told us not to bother, that the delays were multiples of what was being predicted, I said sod it, there's no way I'll arrive in time now, there's no quicker alternative, and I'll miss enough that it's just not worth my while. So I headed out - and as I turned to go, we finally heard the announcement of severe delays on the Northern Line, due to a "person on the track". Turns out someone was hit by a train, south of where I was headed - pity I didn't check before I left the office, it seems the whole line was closed by then.

Well, so I made my way out - which was a relief - and considered my options. And then I remembered that I had a ready-made plan B.. considering films for next Thursday, I came to Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood. And set out to book for next Thursday - however, I accidentally booked for tonight! and rebooked for next week. However, these tickets are non-refundable - so I still had tonight's ticket! Well now.. so off I went, figuring I was just in nice time to walk to the Curzon Aldgate.





I arrived quite early, so ordered a glass of wine and took a comfy sofa seat in the lobby, underneath a screen that was showing a trailer for the film. On loop. As they all were. For goodness' sake, even the music being piped through was from the Pulp Fiction soundtrack - they've gone Tarantino-mad! Handily, I'd picked up a paper earlier - and brought it with me, and it passed the time until the scheduled show time.

Well, I didn't have to look far for my seat - I was in the front row. They're pullman seats, with little tables on the armrests - indeed, the lady beside me was taking full advantage, and brought in a tray with wine and nibbles, which she left on hers.

This is the first Tarantino film I've seen in ages, set in Hollywood in 1969, and featuring the Manson Family and the murder of Sharon Tate - played here by Margot Robbie. She's just one of a veritable who's who of contemporary Hollywood - we've got Leonardo DiCaprio as a tv star, Brad Pitt as his stunt double, Dakota Fanning as one of the Manson Family - "Squeaky Fromme", Bruce Dern as the owner of the ranch where the Manson Family lived, Luke Perry - who died this year, it seems! - as a co-star of DiCaprio's, Damian Lewis as Steve McQueen, and, for goodness' sake, Al Pacino! as an agent trying to get DiCaprio into spaghetti westerns. Kurt Russell shows up as a film stunt coordinator, and Michael Madsen has a cameo in one of DiCaprio's tv shows.




Ok, you need to know a couple of things about this. Firstly, you should really read up about Sharon Tate and the Manson Family before you go - that's what the film is fundamentally based around. It'll really help to ratchet up the tension when you start to recognise names of associated people and places, more than having to wait to have them explained to you. Secondly - it's long! This is mostly because of all of Tarantino's long, loving shots - Brad Pitt driving through Hollywood, for example, or DiCaprio having to retake a simple scene over and over. Particularly poignant is the extended sequence with Sharon Tate (Margot Robbie) sneaking into a cinema matinee to watch herself star in a film, and getting a big kick out of the audience enjoying it!

It's a love letter from Tarantino to Hollywood, and it does get us invested with the characters, before things start to hot up. The Manson Family is deliciously creepy - when we visit the farm they live on is when the tension in the film starts to mount. But wait until you see what Tarantino does with the ending! To appreciate this, you really do need to know what really happened.. suffice to say, it's satisfyingly violent, and in typical Tarantino fashion, had the full house I attended rolling with laughter.. Excellent film. But do your homework. Booking advisable.

Tomorrow, I booked with the Best Authentic Walking Tours in London (aka Funzing) - for the Sex, Drugs, Sausage Rolls Tour. Unusual for me to find a new walk! But given the rainy forecast, I cancelled - early enough to get a refund - and am now instead headed to something with my cheap ticket club. Crystal Clear is a play at the Old Red Lion - I picked it for its proximity.

On Saturday, going to see The Doctor, with Juliet Stevenson, at the Almeida. Now, I'd originally booked for this for tonight, forgetting that The Embers Collective were meeting. Can happen when I'm booking lots of stuff. (Seems I was really not destined to go to that!) When I realised my mistake, I thought I just wouldn't bother with this - then saw that London Dramatic Arts are going on Saturday! So I switched my ticket to that night, and let them know I was coming too. Now, the organiser is selling tickets for this, and doesn't appreciate competition - or anyone advertising another way to get tickets. Which might be why she deleted the comment I left to explain that I'd be there that night too! I haven't had a message from her either - so I suppose she'll be ignoring me, then. Wouldn't be the first time.

On Sunday, going with Civilised London to the Cartoon Museum - with optional dim sum afterwards. Yes please! I seem to be the only taker - never mind, it's happened before!

On Monday, I'm finally going to see Evita, at Regent's Park Open Air Theatre. Never have seen it.

On Tuesday, with the London European Club at the Globe - we're going to risk The Comedy of Errors.

On Wednesday, I'm seeing Showtune - an evening of Jerry Herman music - at the Union Theatre.

Next Thursday, I'm still looking at a film - now looking like Apollo 11, a documentary about the first moon landing. About time I saw it - it's been out a while. Closest place it's showing at a reasonable time is at the BFI - not selling out yet, but I'll keep an eye on it.

I'm back in Ireland for the bank holiday weekend - Ryanair strike permitting! Depends on what nationality our pilot is - and whether they voted to strike..

On the 27th, The Embers Collective is back - at Dalston Eastern Curve Garden this time. There'll be storytelling, there'll be music - and hopefully food. And we're making that the occasion of this month's social from my last company! Be great to see everyone again. And at least I don't have to depend on the Tube this time!

On the 28th, London Science Events is off to a Science Museum Late.

And on the 29th and 30th, finally back with Up in the Cheap Seats - first time in three weeks! On the 29th, it's HMS Pinafore at Wilton's.

And on the 30th, we're at Treemonisha, by Scott Joplin, at the Arcola. Part of the Grimeborn Opera Festival.

No comments:

Post a Comment