Friday 16 August 2019

Play: Crystal Clear

Tonight, I booked with the Best Authentic Walking Tours in London (aka Funzing) - for the Sex, Drugs, Sausage Rolls Tour. Unusual for me to find a new walk! But given the rainy forecast, I cancelled - early enough to get a refund - and instead headed to something with my cheap ticket club. Crystal Clear is a play at the Old Red Lion - I picked it for its proximity.

Boy, they were right about the weather - it drizzled down all day. Strong breeze, too. So I was glad of my decision. Again, with rain dribbling down - and me having left it kind of tight - I took the bus, though I could have walked: got there ever so slightly late, checked off my name quickly at the box office, and she gave me a laminated ticket to hand in, upstairs. I was the last one in, but they hadn't started - I was told to take a seat on any of the (cushioned) benches. Now, there's also an armchair - for heaven's sake, don't sit in that, it's part of the set! Probably more comfortable than the benches, mind..

This play concerns an art dealer whose sight is deteriorating, a consequence of his diabetes (and, as his girlfriend reminds him, his failure to take proper care of himself). He has a longterm girlfriend - he's becoming more interested in a blind woman, though. Is that because of the deterioration in his sight? Perhaps.. but just how does she feel about it? Not to mention his previous girlfriend..

With all the sight issues in this production, they're very blind-conscious; apparently, all performances - such as tonight's - are audio described, and touch tours of the set are available beforehand. As are guide dog arrangements and pickup from the station. The blind character is played by someone who describes herself as sight-impaired - gee, you'd hardly know it from the way she skips about between scenes! Can't be completely blind, I think.

The play itself is terribly intense - it could hardly not be, with us all piled in on top of the actors. Not to mention the nudity - heavens, the prim young lady beside me simply did not know where to look when they were fondling each other, before ever they started stripping! And even though I've seen my fair share of nudity in various things, it's never been so close! There's one quite violent scene too - it does make a difference to have the action so close. The acting is great - certainly from the aforementioned sight-impaired lady, and from the guy - not so sure about the third character, whose performance jarred. But, representing a relationship on its way out - maybe it was meant to? Yes, I think I can safely recommend this - very interesting. Last performances tomorrow.

Tomorrow, going to see The Doctor, with Juliet Stevenson, at the Almeida. Now, I'd originally booked for this for last night, forgetting that The Embers Collective were meeting. Can happen when I'm booking lots of stuff. (Seems I was really not destined to go to that!) When I realised my mistake, I thought I just wouldn't bother with this - then saw that London Dramatic Arts are going tomorrow! So I switched my ticket to that night, and let them know I was coming too. Tonight, the organiser finally marked me down as going - we're meeting for food in Radici beforehand.

On Sunday, going with Civilised London to the Cartoon Museum - with optional dim sum afterwards. Yes please! I seem to be the only taker - never mind, it's happened before!

On Monday, I'm finally going to see Evita, at Regent's Park Open Air Theatre. Never have seen it. Showers promised.. bah.

On Tuesday, with the London European Club at the Globe - we're going to risk The Comedy of Errors.

On Wednesday, I'm seeing Showtune - an evening of Jerry Herman music - at the Union Theatre.

On Thursday, I'm looking at a film - it's looking like Apollo 11, a documentary about the first moon landing. About time I saw it - it's been out a while. Closest place it's showing at a reasonable time is at the BFI - not selling out yet, but I'll keep an eye on it.

I'm back in Ireland for the bank holiday weekend - Ryanair strike permitting! Depends on what nationality our pilot is - and whether they voted to strike..

On the 27th, The Embers Collective is back - at Dalston Eastern Curve Garden this time. There'll be storytelling, there'll be music - and hopefully food. And we're making that the occasion of this month's social from my last company! Be great to see everyone again. And at least I don't have to depend on the Tube this time - unlike yesterday!

On the 28th, London Science Events is off to a Science Museum Late.

And on the 29th and 30th, finally back with Up in the Cheap Seats - first time in three weeks! On the 29th, it's HMS Pinafore at Wilton's.

And on the 30th, we're at Treemonisha, by Scott Joplin, at the Arcola. Part of the Grimeborn Opera Festival.

No comments:

Post a Comment