Tuesday 20 August 2019

Play: The Comedy of Errors

Tonight, with the London European Club at the Globe - we risked The Comedy of Errors. Unfortunately, the organiser couldn't make it, and I hadn't met any of the others before - we'd see. Anyway, I learned my lesson from last night - I wrapped up a bit better!

Now, I had a feeling that meeting people wouldn't work - so I hung on at the office; I certainly have enough to do! Decided to test Google Maps' 13-minute walking estimate from the office - moving pretty quickly, I did manage to beat it slightly (and cursed several joggers along the way!), but I was glad of the extra couple of minutes, what with the queue at the entrance, and the bag check. They were ringing the summons bell as I crossed the courtyard. And yes, everybody else in my row had taken their seat, and I had to get them all up.. the usher suggested I go on the far end, but that's a much worse view! No, they all had to stand to let me pass. Too bad - the view from my end, further from the wall, is almost as good as you can get in the Globe. And, of course, in the front row, I had the front rail to lean on. And was nice and close to the pit, and the great atmosphere there.

Oh thank goodness, the Globe has something decent to show this year! Third time I've been there this year - and third time lucky, because this is hilarious. Not to everyone's taste, mind - particularly the opening language, which could be considered a bit difficult; that's probably why I saw some people leave early. I also detected a number of people laughing quite randomly at the start - probably hadn't a clue what was going on, and just laughed at the first hint that there might be a joke there!

The basic story sounds quite daft - identical twin brothers, with, for goodness' sake, the same name - have identical servants (I think they're supposed to be twins, as well). They were separated by the usual storm at sea, and much confusion ensues when they end up in the same place.

You know, for once, the Globe manages to skate over the possible confusion here! Despite the characters' identities being mixed up in the play, we can figure them out quite easily - we can see they're supposed to be identical, by their identical costumes, but they are quite distinguishable. One of the servants is male, the other female (both supposed to be male, but this is one case where gender-switching actually helps). One of their masters is Irish, with a beard - the other is English, and clean-shaven. The couple of other men in the play represented by women are played unconfusingly, and don't get into the plot so much anyway. I was delighted to see that, for once, the wife of one brother - and even her sister - are actually portrayed by women!

Major slapstick ensues, as none of the protagonists meet their doppelganger until the last scene. So, the wife who gets mad at her husband for being late for dinner ends up sending for the wrong man, and refusing her husband entry when he does arrive.. each brother sends his servant on a message, then meets the other servant, who has no idea what the man is then talking about.. it is played for laughs, as usual, but this time it makes sense. And their sense of comedy is spot-on. Yippee, I can recommend something at the Globe..! Also showing on Friday - part of their Refugee Week.

With no chat among Meetup participants, I just headed straight home - to be honest, it's good to get finished at a reasonable time.



That's it for me and Meetup for over a week! Tomorrow, I'm seeing Showtune - an evening of Jerry Herman music - at the Union Theatre.

On Thursday, I'm still looking at a film - but of course, my choice keeps changing! Now, top of the list is a preview of Pain & Glory, the latest by Almodóvar, starring a very grey Antonio Banderas as an ageing filmmaker, looking back over his life, and Penélope Cruz as his mother, in flashback. On Thursday, previewing at the Curzon Soho. I'm keeping an eye on it.

I'm back in Ireland for the bank holiday weekend - Ryanair strike permitting! Depends on what nationality our pilot is - and whether they voted to strike..

Next Tuesday, The Embers Collective is back - at Dalston Eastern Curve Garden this time. There'll be storytelling, there'll be music - and hopefully food. And we're making that the occasion of this month's social from my last company! Be great to see everyone again. And at least I don't have to depend on the Tube this time - unlike last Thursday!

On the 28th, London Science Events is off to a Science Museum Late.

And on the 29th and 30th, finally back with Up in the Cheap Seats - first time in three weeks! On the 29th, it's HMS Pinafore at Wilton's.

And on the 30th, we're at Treemonisha, by Scott Joplin, at the Arcola. Part of the Grimeborn Opera Festival.

No comments:

Post a Comment