Thursday 22 August 2019

Film: Dolor y Gloria (Pain and Glory)

Tonight, I was looking at a film - but of course, my choice kept changing! By yesterday, top of the list was a preview of Pain & Glory, the latest by Almodóvar, starring a very grey Antonio Banderas as an ageing filmmaker, looking back over his life, and Penélope Cruz as his mother, in flashback. Tonight, previewing at the Curzon Soho. I kept an eye on it, and yesterday evening, finally more than half the seats were booked - so I grabbed my chance, and booked one while I still could.

It was on late, so I hung on in the office - no real late-night culture there, and I was almost the last to leave. (I checked before I left - six seats left for the screening.) By the time I caught the bus, Google Maps was estimating I'd be slightly late: which was ok, this being a regular cinema screening, with ads beforehand. Still, I do like to get in before having to squeeze past entire rows. Happily, with light traffic, we'd made good time. From where I got off, Google Maps had me zig-zagging around back streets to get to the cinema - rubbish! It was easy to see from the map that it'd be faster to retrace my steps slightly and go straight down Shaftesbury Avenue, which is what I did. A little bit of common sense goes a long way.. Along the way, I saw our old office building has finally been revamped - the reception desk is now on the other side of the lobby, which looks very welcoming indeed!

I arrived a couple of minutes early at the cinema. Again, it's a while since I've been here - last time was a few months ago. I went straight in - and would you believe, we had a very relaxed audience; very few people had taken their seats yet! Nobody at all in my row to push past.. so I happily took my comfy seat, and as the ads started up, I did wonder where all those people were who had booked. Never fear, they arrived en masse slightly after the ads started, and filled the space - quite chattily. But they quieted down when the film started - and they were lively; when someone behind me gasped at something that one of the characters said, everyone laughed at her reaction..

This is absolutely stunning, and I'm going to give it first place of the three films I've seen in the last week. I can see why it's on the shortlist for the next Spanish entry to the foreign language category at the Oscars, and why Banderas was awarded Best Actor at Cannes for it. The opening credits have a background reminiscent of swirling paint - which prepares you for a film that's extremely visual, with a lavish use of colour. I found myself looking for it in every scene - in the vivid colours of clothes, of furnishings, art galleries, flowers.. a beautiful soundtrack, featuring, in one flashback, the sound of local women singing, helps to make a breathtaking film.

Banderas does a sympathetic job with his character, who's in constant pain, and whose glories all seem to be in the past. But this character of the director - obviously at least partly autobiographical on Almodóvar's part - finds himself energised as various bits of his past return to haunt him, and we see a bit of Banderas' mischief emerging once again. It's increasingly hilarious as the film progresses, beautiful to watch, beautiful to listen to.. what more can I say? I was delighted, I was touched - I felt like applauding when it ended. Very highly recommended.

Tomorrow, back to Ireland for the bank holiday weekend - Ryanair seems to be drafting in pilots to cover those who are striking, and assures me that all flights tomorrow are going ahead as scheduled.

On Tuesday, The Embers Collective is back - at Dalston Eastern Curve Garden this time. There'll be storytelling, there'll be music - and hopefully food. And we're making that the occasion of this month's social from my last company! Be great to see everyone again. And at least I don't have to depend on the Tube this time - unlike last Thursday!

On Wednesday, London Science Events is off to a Science Museum Late. Just remembered yesterday to book a ticket - although they're free, you do need to book. Ironically, it was also yesterday that London Literary Walks finally advertised another walk - for that day! Much more interesting, so I'm going on that instead. It's The Hampstead Walk. I'm rather relieved - it took him ages to arrange this, and I was afraid he'd given up!

And on next Thursday and the 30th, finally back with Up in the Cheap Seats - first time in three weeks! Next Thursday, it's HMS Pinafore at Wilton's.

And on the 30th, we're at Treemonisha, by Scott Joplin, at the Arcola. Part of the Grimeborn Opera Festival.

No comments:

Post a Comment