Saturday 27 April 2019

Film: A Tous Ceux Qui ne Me Lisent pas (To All Those Who Don't Read Me)

Meetup actually had a few things on today. But none grabbed me more than any other - and when I checked what was coming up top of the film list, it actually looked more attractive! A Tous Ceux Qui ne Me Lisent pas (To All Those Who Don't Read Me) is a comedy about a hapless poet. And he seemed an appealing chap, in the trailer. Was showing in the Curzon Soho at 1pm - but then, I wasn't too late to bed. Showed no signs of booking out, so I saved myself the booking fee.

I bussed - but Lord, was it cold, with a strong, biting wind! I shivered as I waited, at both stops.. and, as usual, was glad I carefully checked where Google Maps was sending me. I don't know what their logic was, but I was glad with my decision to get off a stop early, which made more sense to me. Anyway, I deliberately arrived early - in case of last-minute sales. I had a surprise when I went in - they've removed the box office! Makes sense - it really clogged up the space just inside the door. So now you just buy your ticket at the bar, downstairs. And since I still had loads of time, I had a slice of lemon drizzle cake at their cafe, on ground level. A nice big slice she cut me, too! And it was truly lemony.

They actually opened late - I took a seat opposite the screen door, so I could keep an eye on them. They finally let me in, 1-ish.. technical difficulties. I was the first, and seating was unreserved. Because gee, almost no-one seemed to want to see this! Anyway, it was part of their Canada Now programme, still running. That ends tomorrow.

It's loosely based on the life of the real-life Montréal poet, Yves Boisvert. An anarchic soul, dedicated to his work, he seems desperate not to conform to normality. Bless him, in the course of the film, he gets a girlfriend, bonds with her son, gets a 9-5 job.. and surprise, chucks it all. There was a Q+A afterwards with the director, who explained to us that yes, the girlfriend exists, and yes, she has a son - when asked whether the son was modelled on himself, he had to admit that he had grafted his story onto the son's character. Because he was about that age when he met Yves, who obviously made a big impression.

Yves - as represented in the film - has a lot of charisma, and I found it impossible not to sympathise with him. Despite the dinner party where he plays the part of the world's worst dinner guest, criticising the hostess for giving up her painting career for parenthood, accusing her of taking the easy path. (Best line in the film - the baby cries, and he remarks, "Ah, the sound of shattered dreams.") The director explained that he hadn't wanted to do a straight biopic, preferring to try to capture the man's essence - and I think he did a smashing job. This was a one-off showing, but I recommend it, if you should come across it - I defy you not to support the man's efforts to avoid conformity! The title, by the way, comes from something he says during the film - he says that he writes for the people who don't read him, just as nuns pray for those who don't have the time..

There was a syncing problem later in the film, with a disconnect between the sound and visuals. So someone involved in the festival offered anyone who wanted free tickets to a show tonight, to compensate - but I decided not to be greedy. Instead, I shivered my way home through something akin to gale-force winds. Brr - glad to be in again!

Tomorrow, back with Meetup - London European Club is off to a flamenco show at Sadler's Wells. Olé! Irresistible.

On Monday, our team social continues, though our team is no more! A large group of employees - past, present, and present but considering their options, but all friends - is headed to the excellent Le Sacré Coeur, which I ate at a while ago. Should be a great night.

On Tuesday, back with my cheap ticket club for Omid Singh, back at 2 Northdown.

On Wednesday, the Crick Crack Club is back with their Archetype Series - this one is Rebels & Heroes, which should provide plenty of material. Participants this time are Hugh LuptonJan Blake, and Nell Phoenix - and the customary newcomer. And as usual, there'll be a Q+A. An excellent night is expected! It's back at Rich Mix.

On Thursday, we're having yet another set of drinks to celebrate our recent redundancies - one of our number was on holiday for the last lot! So we'll be back at The Draft House, I think. Then I'm back to Ireland for the Bank Holiday weekend.

On the 7th, I'm treating myself to a trip back to the Globe! It's been so long.. Henry IV, Part I is the occasion. Hope the weather's warmed up a bit, or I might be renting one of their cosy blankets..

And the next three days are all with Up in the Cheap Seats. On the 8th, we're at the Royal Opera House for a mixed programme by the Royal Ballet.

On the 9th, we're back to Sadler's Wells for the opening night of Yang Liping's Rite of Spring.

And on the 10th - for something completely different - we're off to the Park Theatre for The Last Temptation of Boris JohnsonBrexit, of course, should feature strongly..

No comments:

Post a Comment