Wednesday 3 April 2019

Play: Ghost Stories

Today and tomorrow, I'm at plays with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS). Tonight, we were off to Ghost Stories, at the Lyric in Hammersmith! Now, I saw this before, years ago.. but absolutely loved it and am delighted to see it back. And this time I was very near the front.

All that way, it'd have to be Tube. I played sardines on the Northern Line for two stops, but the Piccadilly Line was much better - I got a seat straight away. As I collected my ticket, she asked whether I'd like a programme. Ah, go on then. Was the first of our group to the bar - after waiting for several minutes, I was served with a decent house white, then took a seat at the back. The programme has a couple of interesting snippets - a list of top 10 horror stories and horror films, which I agree with to some extent, and a timeline for this show. Do you know, it's been going since 2010! A pleasantly creepy skittering noise could be heard - occasionally - over the hubbub, with some accompanying dripping sounds: a nice touch. Oh, and there is a photo backdrop to the side!


The show was pretty heavily sold, and the bar was packed - I posted on the Meetup page where I was sitting, and met this evening's newcomer that way. We had a nice chat, but I did wonder where the others had got to.. turned out that one was running severely late, having run into heavy traffic, as she lives near Stamford Bridge and there was a match on. And our organiser - who doesn't have a smartphone - hadn't seen my message, and was sat on his own all the way over the other side, unable to see us! He just caught sight of me as I climbed the stairs to the theatre. Never mind..

I was in the second row, ooh!

 


The horror soundtrack is stronger as you enter the theatre, creating a strong sense of unease. There were a lot of schoolkids, for whatever reason.. I was sat in front of a line of them. Mind you, they were well behaved - possibly because their teacher was sat beside them! There was some persistent questioning of the poor woman beforehand, about whether the decor was designed to draw us into the scenario.

What was nice was that I remembered very little from the last time I was at this show. It takes the form of a lecture on parapsychology - and very interesting it is, with the charismatic Simon Lipkin as the professor. He takes us through some spooky photos, and possible explanations - he also discusses the origin of such things. Minor audience participation involves a show of hands as to how many believe in ghosts (maybe half) and how many have actually experienced them! (Far fewer.) And then he sets the scene for the ghost stories themselves, which are apparently case studies..

No interval, no latecomers, no readmission. No disturbance to the atmosphere. Good idea. Mind you, the audience provided enough atmosphere, all on their own.. they were shriekers  tonight, as you'd expect with so many impressionable teenagers! Their reaction was hilarious - even the voiceover at the beginning, asking people to turn off their phones, got a shriek of terror. Love that.

As for the intentional scares? We all agreed, afterwards (when we all finally met), that they did a great job. The sense of unease isn't allowed to flag - the theatre goes completely dark at start and finish, there's plenty of noise. Flashing lights abound. Lots of jump scares, which I think are pretty effective. One thing about sitting in the front stalls - the dry ice used for one story does, of course, pour over the stage and into the audience, and there were a few minutes where it was hard to see anything. Doesn't last long, though.

The upshot? Our impressionable audience aside, it isn't the scariest thing I've seen.. but it does master a palpable sense of unease. The special effects are truly impressive. And the last story? Still stays with me - it's a beautiful piece of writing. Indeed, one of the writers was there again tonight, just like last time! Tonight, no handing out of badges - but he did pose for a selfie. And afterwards, back in the bar, the actors mingled.. and had a round table discussion with him, afterwards. Lovely to see him take such an active part in such a long-running show!

Strongly recommended. Runs till the 11th of next month. As it says on the poster - do you dare book..?

The Tube back was, of course, a lot quieter. Tomorrow, we're at Intra Muros in Park Theatre. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend.

On Monday, I'm back with UITCS for She Persisted, by the English National Ballet, at Sadler's WellsTuesday, my boss is back from a break. That's also the day that one of our colleagues finds out - early - whether she's being made redundant; she's going on holiday the next day, you see. So I think drinks are in order - just as well I hadn't anything booked.

Next Wednesday, finally back with London Literary Walks, after a winter drought! This walk is called Spies in Pimlico, and it'll be great to see him.

On the 11th, I was supposed to be back with UITCS in Southwark Playhouse, for The Rubenstein Kiss. But then everything started to go down.. first, we found out that a colleague is leaving, and has his leaving drinks that night. Then we found out we're at risk of redundancy, and will find out that day! which could, therefore, be our last day in the company. I'll doubtless resign, either way. Anyway, drinks are the order of the day - I've cancelled. Which is a bummer, not only because this is supposed to be good, but also as I bought this subscription that entitles me to five discounted tickets.. and this is the second that I booked with it and have had to cancel!

And on the 12th, back with UITCS, at Sitting, Katherine Parkinson's debut play, at the Arcola.

No comments:

Post a Comment