Monday 22 January 2018

Musical: Barnum & Lumiere

Yesterday, I booked for the matinée of Barnum, in the Menier Chocolate Factory. And then, wouldn't you know it, Up in the Cheap Seats advertised a trip to the Lumiere Festival in the evening! It was the last day. So I said I'd tag along, after my show - as the organiser said, it could be a problem finding each other, but what the hey! I see London Social Detours was doing the same thing - and charging £3. So I stuck to Up in the Cheap Seats.

Wow, what a horrible day, weather-wise. When I looked out the window in the morning, it was snowing heavily! Not lodging, though - the ground was too wet. In due course, I wrapped myself up and headed out in it - there was no great rush, the show started later than the day before's matinée, and I didn't have a meal planned beforehand. By the time I left, it had turned to persistent rain. I was lucky the bus came straight away - I was already soaked! The smiling driver pulled right up to where I was standing - much appreciated.

Across the bridge then, and another soggy walk - I was glad to see the theatre approaching. Squelched in, through the restaurant to the theatre behind - I would've loved to pause to have something to eat, but there wasn't time. Instead, I made my way through to the theatre bar and box office. Now, funny thing here - I'd booked a Print at Home ticket originally, and the following month, got an email from them explaining that the seat I'd booked was restricted view for the previews, and allocating me a different seat in the same row, which I could pick up at the box office. And that's what I did, grateful to be in from the bitter cold, and defrosting. I got a glass of water - there was plenty about - and one of very decent wine at the bar, and grabbed about the last seat in the bar - seating isn't plentiful, here. I noted that the display cabinet across from the bench I was seated on was covered over, unusually - the rest of the bar is decorated with the sort of stuff that P. T. Barnum might have displayed: a pea from the last supper, that sort of thing.

Sipping the wine, I had it half drunk by the time the house opened, 20 minutes before start time. The place is decorated like a circus tent, so seating is in the round - I was intrigued to find that the seat I'd been given in the end - A32, the front row, is the next seat along from my original seat, A45! And that that is, indeed, right behind a pillar - my new seat's view was slightly restricted by the same pillar. I guess there's a more sensible seating arrangement after the previews..?

Well, entertainers move among the crowds as soon as they're seated, performing magic tricks and, later, juggling. And by the time start time arrives, the place is an absolute riot, people tumbling, shimmying up and down poles, juggling, and performing card tricks, so that you hardly know where to look! It sets the tone for almost the whole of the piece that is to follow, as we watch the story of the original showman!

What a show - what an opportunity to get up-close-and-personal with a production that's every bit as good as what you'll find in the West End! Beautifully sung, including the operatic numbers - Celinde Schoenmaker, who plays Jenny Lind, has a background in musical theatre. Beautifully choreographed - and nowhere in the West End will you get so close that you have to make sure to pull your legs in, lest the performers come a cropper as they dash on- and off-stage! Close enough to see them panting in the wings. This is a fantastic day out- for young and old alike! For me, however, the show was stolen by Mrs. Barnum, played by the excellent Laura Pitt-Pulford, who played a storm as Nell Gwynn at the Globe, last year. Ticket prices aren't cheap, but it's worth it. Running until the 3rd of March, evening performances Tue - Sat, matinées Saturday and Sunday. Booking recommended..

At the interval, I'd bought a bar of chocolate at the bar - gee, branded "Menier Chocolate Factory"! Nice to see them retaining some of that heritage. On my way out at the end, I took a moment to peruse the exhibits - and wouldn't you know it, that display case that was covered beforehand.. now contained.. eh, well, I'd hate to spoil the surprise! Go see for yourself. Anyway, I now had to race across town - and the show had finished late. Happily, the organiser had said we'd meet somewhere around Bond Street Tube, which I could get the Jubilee Line to, straight from London Bridge. Pissed rain on me all the way there, mind!

By the time I got to Bond Street, I was a bit later than anticipated - but they were still roughly where they'd expected to be, as I discovered when I got through to the organiser, on the second attempt. They were headed for Brown Hart Gardens (?). Gotta hand it to Lumiere, it took people down back alleys they'd never seen before! Well, Google Maps directed me there, and I had a bit of a wait before we all met up - but we did, in the end: a much depleted group from the number that had originally signed up, and who can blame them, with the weather? I had to laugh when I saw the map that the poor organiser had printed out - the soggy mess barely lasted him until we were finished with the Mayfair section!

I managed four here - of course, I missed the start! My favourite, I think, was Impulse - seesaws in the street, illuminated by the action of people playing on them!



More photos - and videos - here. After Mayfair, we moved on to the West End section - the largest. And yay, by this time, the rain had stopped! We meandered through the streets, trying to get everything on the list - weren't entirely successful, but as our guide said, hey, he didn't lose anyone! Plenty to love, here.. I think my favourite had to be the fish in a phonebox. :-) (Yes, they are actual, real fish..)



 

Before we did the last couple, we repaired to the pub for a drink and some crisps. And it was a long, long night - but a good one! When we finally parted, it was my intention to grab something to eat - but wouldn't you know it, everywhere was closed or closing, this being a Sunday. Happily, I discovered an open Co-Op on the way home, where I could at least buy something to stave off my hunger..

I could've blogged last night, except that I was anticipating a presale code, to entitle me to entry to a presale for tickets for U2's upcoming tour! The presale started this morning, so I went to bed early. This was something I was supposed to be entitled to, for pre-ordering the new album from an approved retailer, back in November. Sadly, it now turns out, even though I ordered via a link from U2's website, that this was "not an approved retailer", so I don't get a code. Someone really needs to take the management of that site round the back and have a word.. Good luck to me in the public scrum on Friday!

Tonight, I'm finally off to see Everybody's Talking About Jamie, at the Apollo - I rescheduled from the date I'd booked for last year. Sold on that original ticket, and bought another - using a £10 theatre token I earned from Seatplan, for leaving reviews with a photo! Not bad.. I hear great reviews of this, so looking forward to it.

Tomorrow, I'm going to Yous Two, at Hampstead Theatre - my first Meetup with North London Friends, finally! I think they might have been the only outlet for tickets, when I booked - I haven't tended to book with them, as they charge a fee. Last night's organiser is going to that too, it seems.

On Wednesday, I'm finally going to Rita, Sue, and Bob Too! at the Royal Court, with Up in the Cheap Seats. Interesting one, this - we'd booked before, but then the whole run was cancelled after the co-director thought that the subject matter, about the exploitation of teenage girls, was too controversial in the wake of the Weinstein controversy. The artistic director subsequently reversed the decision.

On Thursday, I'm going to The Birthday Party, in the Harold Pinter Theatre. Interesting review in a recent paper. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend.

Next Monday, back to the Orange Tree in Richmond for Out of Love, with Up in the Cheap Seats. Have to rush for that one - it's another evening I have a late meeting! Should make it, though.

On the 30th, finally back with FunzingLDN Talks @ Night and London Speaks Sessions are talking about the Seven Wonders of the Solar System, at Cafe 1001. Yeuch - can't stand the place: hipster central. Still, at least I can walk there from work..

On the 31st, I had RSVPed with London Science Talks and Museums Meetup, for a Science Museum late. But hey, it's free - so I had no problem cancelling when Let's Do This advertised a meal the same evening. Turkish, I believe, with a drink at the George Inn beforehand. Closer to me, too.

I start February with two from Up in the Cheap Seats. On the 1st, I'm at John in the NationalAnd on the 2nd, my now-nearby venue, finally - I'm at Sadler's Wells Sampled.

On the 3rd, I'm finally back with Anthony's Cultural Events and Walking Activities Group (fairly trips off the tongue, that!) for a free walk - Secret Diaries and Public Spaces: the Legacy of Pepys and Wren. As run by Walk London. I had a great time with this group before - it's a shame they so frequently clash with other things I'm doing.

On the 4th, another walk, with Funzing, via Walking in London - Forgotten Old London is one I've had my eye on for a while.

And on the 5th, back with Up in the Cheap Seats, at Hampstead Theatre, for Dry Powder.

No comments:

Post a Comment