Monday 22 January 2018

Musical: Everybody's Talking About Jamie

Tonight, I was finally off to see Everybody's Talking About Jamie, at the Apollo - I rescheduled from the date I'd booked for last year. Sold on that original ticket, and bought another - using a £10 theatre token I earned from Seatplan, for leaving reviews with a photo! Not bad.. I heard great reviews of this, so was looking forward to it.

Wouldn't you know it, something tied me up at work again! (Pesky work..) Anyway, I still did make the bus stop in time, according to Google Maps' estimate. Just. No sign of the bus, though - and when I checked the indicator at the stop, it said mine wasn't due for another 12 minutes! I refreshed Google Maps, and sure enough, it said there was no way I'd now be there in time. Plan B: the Tube. So, I needs must make my way back across the busy road and onto the Tube, disembarking much more relaxed at Piccadilly Circus, being now in decent time. Now, it's a circular station, which makes finding the right exit a bit tricky - and it doesn't help when adjacent signs for Shaftesbury Avenue point in opposite directions! (I kid you not.) Still, it wasn't a long walk once I did find the exit (Exit 4, FYI). Short enough that the crowds on Shaftesbury Avenue weren't an issue, for once!



Actually, the worst crowd I encountered was the queue to see Thriller, showing next door to where I was going! A short queue at my theatre, I got my ticket at the box office, and made my way down to the stalls. I let out a massive sigh of relief as I was headed down - which was remarked upon by a nice American-sounding lady, descending with me! I explained that it'd been something of a trial to get there - she remarked that she'd eaten her dinner in, she thought, 12 minutes! I said I hoped it was nice, at least - she said it had been.

In the stalls, I was waved vaguely towards the back (gee!). I was in Row X, which turns out to be the very back row. And Seat 13 turns out to be the one right by the mixing desk - actually an excellent seat, generally, as you don't have to let anyone past, and there's space for your stuff. Plenty of legroom too, both by turning to the side, and if I let my legs drop over the ledge under the row in front. Not too far away, even at the back.That row is also raised nicely, to give a great view:



The band are positioned above the stage, as you can see. Now, as I say, I heard nothing but rave reviews about this. The show opens in a classroom, where a bored group of Sheffield teenagers in their final year are enduring an uninspiring careers class, taught by - I guess - the principal, as she features later. The class from hell, as I think anyone who's ever endured a class like them will recognise. Anyway, Jamie is in the class - and it all kicks off from there, as he takes the test to determine what career he's fit for, and it comes up as - forklift driver! or prison guard. He's having none of it - he wants to be a drag queen..

Aw man, they're right. This has to be absolutely one of the very best shows in town right now! It's hilarious, it's touching - it's really hard to believe that it's the writers' first musical, because what they've produced is right up there with anything that Andrew Lloyd-Webber could do. Toe-tapping throughout, with a blazing soundtrack that I'd like to buy, it's also got soaring melodies that show off the impressive vocal range of the actors. Terrific dance routines too, as you'd expect. I absolutely adored it - even the person on the mixing desk was bopping away.. and the whole of the stalls, at least, leapt to our feet at the end in a standing ovation. I felt like punching the air and yelling, "Hell, yeah!". As we made our slow way out, someone behind me agreed with her mother that they should come again - and bring her dad too, he'd love it. Currently booking until the 16th of October - probably wise to book in advance, it was pretty full tonight. (There was a House Full sign outside, but the tickets might have been sold to resellers that didn't manage to sell them on.)

Tomorrow, I'm going to Yous Two, at Hampstead Theatre - my first Meetup with North London Friends, finally! I think they might have been the only outlet for tickets, when I booked - I haven't tended to book with them, as they charge a fee. Last night's organiser is going to that too, it seems.

On Wednesday, I'm finally going to Rita, Sue, and Bob Too! at the Royal Court, with Up in the Cheap Seats. Interesting one, this - we'd booked before, but then the whole run was cancelled after the co-director thought that the subject matter, about the exploitation of teenage girls, was too controversial in the wake of the Weinstein controversy. The artistic director subsequently reversed the decision.

On Thursday, I'm going to The Birthday Party, in the Harold Pinter Theatre. Interesting review in a recent paper. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend.

Next Monday, back to the Orange Tree in Richmond for Out of Love, with Up in the Cheap Seats. Have to rush for that one - it's another evening I have a late meeting! Should make it, though.

On the 30th, finally back with FunzingLDN Talks @ Night and London Speaks Sessions are talking about the Seven Wonders of the Solar System, at Cafe 1001. Yeuch - can't stand the place: hipster central. Still, at least I can walk there from work..

On the 31st, I had RSVPed with London Science Talks and Museums Meetup, for a Science Museum late. But hey, it's free - so I had no problem cancelling when Let's Do This advertised a meal the same evening. Turkish, I believe, with a drink at the George Inn beforehand. Closer to me, too.

I start February with two from Up in the Cheap Seats. On the 1st, I'm at John in the NationalAnd on the 2nd, my now-nearby venue, finally - I'm at Sadler's Wells Sampled.

On the 3rd, I'm finally back with Anthony's Cultural Events and Walking Activities Group (fairly trips off the tongue, that!) for a free walk - Secret Diaries and Public Spaces: the Legacy of Pepys and Wren. As run by Walk London. I had a great time with this group before - it's a shame they so frequently clash with other things I'm doing.

On the 4th, another walk, with Funzing, via Walking in London - Forgotten Old London is one I've had my eye on for a while.

And on the 5th, back with Up in the Cheap Seats, at Hampstead Theatre, for Dry Powder.

No comments:

Post a Comment