Friday 26 January 2018

Play: The Birthday Party

Last night, I went to The Birthday Party, by Harold Pinter, in the Harold Pinter Theatre. How appropriate.. I think that London Dramatic Arts were originally scheduled to go to this, but must have cancelled - with a cheaper ticket, I wouldn't have been going with them anyway. Interesting review in a recent paper. Someone recently said she couldn't make head nor tail of it - well, it was my mission last night to find out what it was all about!

Again, two buses to get there, one to come back. My first bus was quick enough that, when I got off, I was early enough to wonder whether I'd be faster walking than waiting for the second! As I was looking that up, the bus I was waiting for turned the corner.. and apart from the usual jam on Shaftesbury Avenue, all was good thereafter, and I arrived in good time.

Happily, the two higher levels have a separate entrance, so I was spared the crush of the lobby. I was also spared the attentions of any ushers, apart from those doing a very cursory bag check - I think this was true for everyone, though. First time in I don't know how long that I've completely had to find my own way to my seat! I would have liked a drink, to celebrate my purchase of U2 tickets for this year's UK concerts - but having braved the narrow corridor, lined with framed collages of newspaper clipping related to productions, the bar was so damn crowded I gave up, and just went and found my seat. Without help, as I say.


"Restricted view" they call this - I fail to see how. Mind you, anyone who wants an answer could consult that lunatic that sent me a hate message last year for giving her a free, restricted view ticket - I daresay she'd find something wrong with it. Anyway, legroom was also decent - sadly, I was sat beside somebody too fat for her seat, so I was a bit restricted from one side, and forced to encroach on the lady on the other side, who was chewing so industrially (gum? the cud?) that she literally sounded like a washing machine.

Another night that makes me think I'll never understand the British sense of humour. This is an extremely dark play. There's a bit of black humour in it- but jeez, from the first scene, when the husband comes in and sits down to read the paper, and his rather simple-minded wife (Zoe Wanamaker) asks from the kitchen whether that's him - most of the audience was doubled over laughing!

..?

Seriously, all she did was to ask whether that was him. Was there a joke there? Were the audience expecting slapstick? Just plain weird. Fortunately, nobody around me laughed for most of it. Happily, the laughter pretty much ceased once the violence started, later on - gee, really? What wasn't funny about that? I think I need a rulebook about what West End audiences find funny. Or maybe they just expect everything to be funny. Maybe, like Zoe Wanamaker's character, they don't think it's entertainment unless it has singing and dancing in it. Or, I guess, slapstick. Frankly, I found them annoying as hell through the whole thing.

Well, back to what is an excellent play. It's set in a rather run-down boarding-house - apart from this chap, who spends most of his time out, and his simple-minded wife, there is only one guest - a rather reclusive man called Stanley (Toby Jones). Watch this guy - it's on him that the whole story pivots. Zoe Wanamaker gets it into her head that it's his birthday today - which, apparently, it isn't - and decides to celebrate accordingly.

Spoiler - the whole thing is a kind of power play. In this claustrophobic house, Stanley holds the power. As a guest, what he says goes, and he can be quite nasty to the poor lady of the house. Until.. two smartly dressed gents arrive (the one in charge played by Stephen Mangan) and Stanley gets very worried indeed. Now, what do they have over him..?

It's an absolutely vicious play. I don't agree with the review's assessment that it was lacking in menace - I definitely picked up on it, and thought it was all the more effective for being subtle. Stanley is a big fish in a little pond, until two mysterious tough guys come along - and show him what it's really like to be in charge. They're absolute psychopaths - I thought the audience's tittering was most misplaced. The only one left undisturbed by their visit is - of course - the one who understood the least about it, who was beneath their contempt.

Fantastic production, if you like them dark. I do. Currently booking till the 14th of April - highly recommended.

Had to be in bed early to get up in time for the general U2 sale today - somewhat successful, if not completely. Still trying for black market tickets for Lisbon, if you know any going.. Tonight, I'm back to Ireland for the weekend. Must leave soon, actually.

On Monday, back to the Orange Tree in Richmond for Out of Love, with Up in the Cheap Seats. Have to rush for that one - it's another evening I have a late meeting! Should make it, though.

On Tuesday, finally back with FunzingLDN Talks @ Night (I thought they were changing their name to Funzing Talks - perhaps not yet) and London Speaks Sessions are talking about the Seven Wonders of the Solar System, at Cafe 1001. Yeuch - can't stand the place: hipster central. Still, at least I can walk there from work..

On Wednesday, I had RSVPed with London Science Talks and Museums Meetup, for a Science Museum late. But hey, it's free - so I had no problem cancelling when Let's Do This advertised a meal the same evening. Turkish, I believe, with a drink at the George Inn beforehand. Closer to me, too.

I start February with two from Up in the Cheap Seats. On Thursday, I'm at John in the NationalAnd next Friday, my now-nearby venue, finally - I'm at Sadler's Wells Sampled.

On the 3rd, I'm finally back with Anthony's Cultural Events and Walking Activities Group (fairly trips off the tongue, that!) for a free walk - Secret Diaries and Public Spaces: the Legacy of Pepys and Wren. As run by Walk London. I had a great time with this group before - it's a shame they so frequently clash with other things I'm doing.

On the 4th, another walk, with Funzing, via Walking in London - Forgotten Old London is one I've had my eye on for a while. And that evening, someone suggested a classical concert in King's Place - well, whyever not? So I booked. Close enough to walk home after, too.

And on the 5th, back with Up in the Cheap Seats, at Hampstead Theatre, for Dry Powder.

No comments:

Post a Comment