Saturday 6 January 2018

Storytelling: When Time Began

Today, Crick Crack were back! Happy New Year to them. The story of When Time Began was being told at King's Place. Creation myths. And wouldn't you know it, we were being treated to a host of performers - the husband and wife team, Emily and Nick Hennessy, and co-founder of the club, the amazing Ben Haggerty. Accompaniment provided by the wonderful musician, Sheema Mukherjee. Just this week advertised on their Meetup group though.. Unfortunately, I had to be up early for it - but I could walk there.

Yes, that was the plan. Which, of course, didn't work out - well, I figured I'd better pick a faster option if there were one, given Google Maps' general optimism about walking times! So, it said I could get a bus from Clerkenwell Road. Ok, I schlepped down there, despite it being in the other direction.. and wouldn't you know it, there was a sign on the blasted stop saying that buses were diverted, and where the nearest stops were for others going in the same direction! Hell, I knew I'd be late now. Still no mention of it on the TFL website - I've complained again. Did get a satisfactory response to my last complaint, BTW, about the Dalston Junction stop being closed and no mention on the website.. they apologised profusely, saying that the stop isn't closed at all, and they'll get that sign taken down.

Back to today, and I trekked miserably over to Gray's Inn Road, where any bus would do, but Google Maps said that nothing was due before half past, which was when my show started. :-( I was thinking of what other options I could possibly try when a bus happened along anyway! Happily, at least it dropped me on York Way, and I was soon panting into King's Place. Where they had a whole pile of tickets at the box office! and when I gave them my name, one guy started sorting through them (were they not in alphabetical order?), and the other guy was just about to start printing mine off again when guy #1 found it! I legged it to the escalators (at least I knew where I was going!), and tiptoed towards the lady at the door of the theatre. Who directed me - and the lady right behind me, who'd been getting a drink and come back late - to another usher, who was trying to seat me in all sorts of queer places when I could see an empty row right in front of me! She finally agreed to let me sit there, as long as I took the seat at the far end. Fine, even though I was beside the mixing desk. Hey, we weren't the last to arrive - a couple of ladies came ages later, and sat outside me. And I guess there were a few that couldn't make it, considering that it was sold out but there were several empty seats near me.

Me, I arrived while Ben was still doing his opening spiel. This was designed as a family performance, and as he explained at the end, they'd love to do more, if they could only get a space! There were several kids, who were generally very well-behaved, although at one point, a whole stream of people had to leave, kids in tow - they were getting restless. Ben really got into it - he obviously enjoys performing for the little 'uns, and had plenty of interaction.

So, all three told stories of creation, with Sheema accompanying Emily on the sitar. From Ben, we had stories of the Great Raven - from Nick, the Kalevala, which he once won an award for reciting, and from Emily, sporting bells on her ankles again, we had Hindu myth. Each took turns, signalling the start and end of their performance by striking a large standing bell. But no matter whether you prefer to think of the world as springing from a box opened by a raven, from a duck's egg, or from a lotus leaf (or none of the above) - the content isn't what's important. No, it's all in the telling - as they stride the stage and weave their words, Emily's backed by the exotic strains of the sitar, and Nick using a singing bowl and a bodhrán to create an ethereal sound. Watching this in a dark hall was like being in the womb. A wonderful, calming way to start the weekend.

Just over an hour, it lasted - and I walked back home. It would have been faster than the bus on the way there.. still have to go back and clean flat #1 this evening, damn it! Tomorrow, another Happy new Year - this time to Let's Do This (LDT), who are off to an art exhibition. Gilbert & George: the Beard Pictures and their Fuckosophy. Sorry, but that is the title. Showing at the White Cube Gallery. Honestly, but for the group that's hosting, I wouldn't bother..

More art on Monday, which I'll probably enjoy more. I'm taking the day off to go see Reflections at the National Gallery - an exhibition of Pre-Raphaelites, which, with a free day, I can peruse at my leisure. As inspired by a walk by the excellent London Literary Walks - roll on the summer, and a return of those! Oh, and just lately, LDT advertised another trip to the excellent Vintage Swing Jazz evenings at Wilton's - for that evening. And why not, indeed? So I booked that, too..

On Tuesday, I was thinking of going to a film. Listings for next week were just released last Tuesday. Anyway, delightfully, top place goes to Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri, whose trailer I'd already seen and which was one I identified as a must-see. Directed by Martin McDonaghFrances McDormand is the frustrated mother of a young woman that was raped and murdered, but whose attacker was never caught. So she rents these billboards, on which she posts messages designed to shock the police into action - greatly irritating the police chief, Woody Harrelson. This black comedy is critically acclaimed, looks fantastic - and is previewing during the week, including at the BFI on Tuesday! As it was nearly sold out, I decided to book - and Lordy, what a time I had! No wonder it took me so long to get to bed - see, I wanted to change my address, as I already had with my bank, but every time I tried to do it the site crashed. I finally managed it, on my third browser, by not touching the address settings at all - lo and behold, it went through with the wrong address. Phew..

On Wednesday and Thursday, I'm with Up in the Cheap Seats again. On Wednesday, it's Misalliance, by Bernard Shaw, in the Orange Tree Theatre - on Thursday, I'm looking forward to the stage version of The Twilight Zone, at the Almeida! Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend.

The next week sees not much action with Meetup - well, there wasn't when I was looking - and booking! Still quiet for January, I guess. Still, I'm excited about what I am doing - on the 15th, I'm headed to Mary Stuart, at the Duke of York's Theatre. I've heard so much about this - apparently, they toss a coin beforehand to decide which plays which role, Elizabeth or Mary!

On the 16th, my annual trip to Cirque du Soleil at the Albert Hall! The show this year is Ovo - cheapest tickets for the date coming in at just under £50, but they're worth it! So, back through that subway again..

On the 17th, more comedy - Sara Pascoe, at Wyndham's.

And on the 18th, back with Up in the Cheap Seats - my first Meetup in a week will be Lady Windermere's Fan, at the Vaudeville Theatre.

No comments:

Post a Comment