Wednesday 17 January 2018

Cirque du Soleil: Ovo

Yesterday was my annual trip to Cirque du Soleil at the Albert Hall! The show this year is Ovo - cheapest tickets for the date coming in at just under £50, but they're worth it! So, back through that subway again.. I left in plenty of time. A journey this long was a bit far for bus, so I decided to take the Tube to South Ken and walk, like I used to when I started going there.

Oh Lordy, you do forget how bad rush hour traffic is! Not road traffic - the sea of people that I waded into at Old Street Station. Made it down to the platform at last, where a train was due shortly - when it did come, as we waited for everyone to get off, they hardly gave us any time to get on before the doors closed! Most unfair, when we could see plenty of standing space in the carriage. Someone jammed himself in the door to force it open again, and I managed to squeeze on after that - just as the doors were closing again. The person in front of me could have moved a bit faster.. Got a nasty bang on the shoulders - they do close with some force. Someone congratulated me on making it.

Well, that was a sardine can - luckily, I was only going two stops on that train, and switching to the Piccadilly Line. Which wasn't quite as bad - after a couple of stops, I even got a seat. Barely managed to squeeze off at my station- then had a relaxed stroll through the subway. How unusual for me not to be rushing for here! Outside again, I knew my way, but had to walk all around the Albert Hall to find my door.

The climb to the Circle was long enough, but with the short flights of stairs here, you don't feel it so much. The lift is tiny, so not usually an option. By the time I got to the top, I would have liked a drink, but the bar at that entrance didn't seem to offer anything non-alcoholic, so I passed. My seat - to the side, but Row 2, so close to the edge - was right beside the steps: very handy for leaving my stuff on!



More photos and videos here. (They encourage the taking of them, as long as you don't use flash.) Insects, the theme is, this year. Insect noises fill the auditorium before the show and at the interval, and we were all intrigued by this big egg. Sadly, the lights go down for the big reveal, which we don't see - left behind when the lights come up are a group of performers, who, I guess, are supposed to have emerged from the egg: I guess they couldn't find a show-worthy way to do that.

The insect theme, of course, allows them free reign to dress in weird costumes, things sticking out on all sides, beautiful colours:



Grace and beauty, incredible skill. You see these things in many circus shows, but nobody combines them with art and design so skilfully as Cirque du Soleil. The first half was quieter - they saved the most dramatic acts for the second half. Between the acts of derring-do, they occupied our attention with madcap clowning. Not just onstage either - they were wandering around the stalls, beforehand and randomly during the show. Beware - they love audience participation! There wasn't much of it, but one extended piece saw a young lady play a highly immersive role, onstage! You have been warned..

Plenty of ooh! moments, and I actually couldn't believe the time had passed when the show ended, in a shower of confetti:



Cirque du Soleil: there's no-one quite like them. Mesmerising, and highly recommended - runs until the 4th of March, booking highly recommended, too.

The bus back promised to be quicker, at this time of night - now, from the nearby stop, I could take the 9 or the 10. When I got there, a 9 was taking on passengers - but it was already crammed, and as a 10 was approaching, I decided to take that instead, even though it promised to be a longer journey. It had a slight detour off Oxford Street - probably due to the upcoming Lumière Festival. The driver yelled back at us not to worry, we wouldn't be missing any stops!

True to his word, we didn't. And I waited at that frigid stop for fully 20 minutes for a second bus that never came. Google Maps said it'd be coming in 10 minutes - the Bus Countdown app wasn't so optimistic, giving a blank screen when I asked about the 55. I refreshed Google Maps, which gave me another 10-minute estimate; when that didn't come either, and with my phone battery just about dead so I couldn't check alternative buses, I ended up getting the Tube back. Which was welcomingly warm, and astonishingly empty. I've complained about the bus, as usual.

Tonight, more comedy - Sara Pascoe, at Wyndham's. This should be a lot easier to get to - even though I'll be depending on the 55 again!

Tomorrow, back at last with Meetup, with Up in the Cheap Seats - my first Meetup in a week will be Lady Windermere's Fan, at the Vaudeville Theatre. Stars Jennifer Saunders.

Finally, I have something for Friday! Jeez, that took a while - well, with Meetup resolutely providing practically nothing that day, I'm with one of my groups whose names I can't mention. I hadn't checked for a while, and when I did, over the weekend, the "£3.60" club had tickets for Bunny, at the Tristan Bates Theatre. So I'm going to that.

On Saturday, Happy New Year to Helen and her husband! We're all off to see Agatha Christie's Witness for the Prosecution, which is showing in County Hall - should be fun.

On Sunday, I'm going to the matinée of Barnum, in the Menier Chocolate Factory. And then, wouldn't you know it, Up in the Cheap Seats advertised a trip to the Lumiere Festival that evening! It's the last day. So I said I'd tag along, after my show - as the organiser said, it could be a problem finding each other, but what the hey! I see London Social Detours is doing the same thing - and charging £3. So I'll stick to Up in the Cheap Seats.

On Monday, I'm finally off to see Everybody's Talking About Jamie, at the Apollo - I rescheduled from the date I'd booked for last year.

On Tuesday, I'm going to Yous Two, at Hampstead Theatre - my first Meetup with North London Friends, finally! I think they might have been the only outlet for tickets, when I booked - I haven't tended to book with them, as they charge a fee.

Next Wednesday, I'm finally going to Rita, Sue, and Bob Too! at the Royal Court, with Up in the Cheap Seats. Interesting one, this - we'd booked before, but then the whole run was cancelled after the co-director thought that the subject matter, about the exploitation of teenage girls, was too controversial in the wake of the Weinstein controversy. The artistic director subsequently reversed the decision.

On the 25th, I'm going to The Birthday Party, in the Harold Pinter Theatre. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend.

On the 29th, back to the Orange Tree in Richmond for Out of Love, with Up in the Cheap Seats. Have to rush for that one - it's another evening I have a late meeting! Should make it, though.

On the 30th, finally back with FunzingLDN Talks @ Night and London Speaks Sessions are talking about the Seven Wonders of the Solar System, at Cafe 1001. Yeuch - can't stand the place: hipster central. Still, at least I can walk there from work..

On the 31st, I had RSVPed with London Science Talks and Museums Meetup, for a Science Museum late. But hey, it's free - so I had no problem cancelling when Let's Do This advertised a meal the same evening. Turkish, I believe, with a drink at the George Inn beforehand.

And I start February with two from Up in the Cheap Seats. On the 1st, I'm at John in the NationalAnd on the 2nd, my now-nearby venue, finally - I'm at Sadler's Wells Sampled.

No comments:

Post a Comment