Tuesday 23 January 2018

Play: Yous Two

Tonight, I was going to Yous Two, at Hampstead Theatre - my first Meetup with North London Friends, finally! Sunday's organiser was going to that too, separately. Well, I did leave in good time, work not being as frantic as yesterday - unfortunately, it turns out that where I'm now based is actually less handy for Hampstead than where I've just left was. Two bus journeys of about half an hour each, it was going to take me. Ah well..

My first was the #214 - a single-decker, unusually in my experience. And I was lucky to get on early - dear God, I don't know whether the driver was counting, but these things have a maximum capacity, which I'm fairly sure was exceeded. As bad as any Tube train I've ever been on - I was worried I wouldn't be able to squeeze off! Most of the crowd were disgorged at King's Cross - only to be replaced by an army of schoolkids, just around the corner! Seriously, they need a double-decker on this route. Happily, most of them got off with me, at Camden Town - and although we'd been a bit delayed, I was still in time for my connecting bus, which was a double-decker, phew - and let me off at Swiss Cottage in light rain (damn that weather forecast!).

Well, I headed for a drink at the theatre bar first - and is it my accent that makes bar workers (particularly the men, for some reason) think I said "red" instead of "white" when I ask for wine? Jeez.. Anyway, the group wasn't hard to spot, being a small number of people occupying a large table. Dead giveaway. They hadn't found it hard to get one - as the organiser explained, the main house is closed temporarily, so it wasn't as busy as it might have been. She arrived a bit after me and distributed tickets - free seating for this. And I must say, they're a lovely, friendly bunch! Chat was good, but I ended up having to gulp my wine when she gave us the heads-up that the queue was forming, downstairs.

Boy, we were in that queue a long time, for whatever reason. More chatting was done, but some were ready to sit by the time we finally got moving. Upholstered benches, among which we dispersed ourselves - and gee, we were looking into a bathroom! with a bath in it! with a rather fit-looking fellow in it! He didn't quite give us the full Monty, never fear - but v nearly. He's the dad in this, wouldya believe.. the plot revolves around his relationship with his teenage daughter, whom he's brought up alone, and who's in her final year of school, with big dreams for the future.

It's just over an hour long, but it's terrific! Some people don't need so long to tell a story, and such is true here. The acting is marvellous, the characters and plot believable. It's hilarious in parts - but gets darker, right at the end. A play that raises many questions about the future for the people involved, and leads us, in particular, to question the relationship between father and daughter, and to wonder whether history is likely to repeat itself..

Afterwards, there was a general move to leave - well, I got an early night! Always good. And I look forward to joining this group again, which I will, next month - more anon. They reminded me of what London Dramatic Arts used to be like, actually - right back in the beginning, before it got snooty.

Tomorrow, I'm finally going to Rita, Sue, and Bob Too! at the Royal Court, with Up in the Cheap Seats. Interesting one, this - we'd booked before, but then the whole run was cancelled after the co-director thought that the subject matter, about the exploitation of teenage girls, was too controversial in the wake of the Weinstein controversy. The artistic director subsequently reversed the decision.

On Thursday, I'm going to The Birthday Party, in the Harold Pinter Theatre. Interesting review in a recent paper. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend.

On Monday, back to the Orange Tree in Richmond for Out of Love, with Up in the Cheap Seats. Have to rush for that one - it's another evening I have a late meeting! Should make it, though.

Next Tuesday, finally back with FunzingLDN Talks @ Night (I thought they were changing their name to Funzing Talks - perhaps not yet) and London Speaks Sessions are talking about the Seven Wonders of the Solar System, at Cafe 1001. Yeuch - can't stand the place: hipster central. Still, at least I can walk there from work..

On the 31st, I had RSVPed with London Science Talks and Museums Meetup, for a Science Museum late. But hey, it's free - so I had no problem cancelling when Let's Do This advertised a meal the same evening. Turkish, I believe, with a drink at the George Inn beforehand. Closer to me, too.

I start February with two from Up in the Cheap Seats. On the 1st, I'm at John in the NationalAnd on the 2nd, my now-nearby venue, finally - I'm at Sadler's Wells Sampled.

On the 3rd, I'm finally back with Anthony's Cultural Events and Walking Activities Group (fairly trips off the tongue, that!) for a free walk - Secret Diaries and Public Spaces: the Legacy of Pepys and Wren. As run by Walk London. I had a great time with this group before - it's a shame they so frequently clash with other things I'm doing.

On the 4th, another walk, with Funzing, via Walking in London - Forgotten Old London is one I've had my eye on for a while.

And on the 5th, back with Up in the Cheap Seats, at Hampstead Theatre, for Dry Powder.

No comments:

Post a Comment