Thursday 4 January 2018

Play: Hanna

Today was the day of the big move. Went ok, but was as exhausting as they always are - frankly, I'm shattered, and would have liked nothing better than to crash. But I'd booked with Up in the Cheap Seats (Happy New Year to them!), who were off to see Hanna, at the Arcola. Mercifully, tickets are collected from the box office.. 

First off, I was hungry - turns out there are two convenience stores just down the road from me, so I headed down there first and bought something. Then came back and discovered the blasted oven is gas-operated, and damned if I could operate it! No-one in to ask, either. (Think I've figured it out since, and will have another go some other day.) Stuffed what I'd got into the icebox of the fridge - just as well I hadn't bought more, an icebox is ridiculous as the only freezing facility for four people sharing a flat! Unable to find anything decent in the convenience stores to microwave, I asked Google Maps for eating suggestions - and it suggested the Charles Lamb pub, 10 minutes' walk away. Ok then..

It seems that the storm has followed me - a veritable gale was blowing as I struggled up the road! Anyway, the pub was a welcoming sight - cosy, warmly lit, and with menus on the bar. I ordered a house white while I was reading (very reasonably priced), and it didn't take me long to choose from the limited selection. You can have a burger, a half or whole chicken, or a variety of things made with sausages. Well, I don't trust British sausages, so my choice was burger or chicken, and I chose the (half) chicken, and went to sit at the only one of the three benches nearby that was upholstered.

The wine was quite decent. They have free WiFi, network name and password written at the side of the bar, and when my chicken arrived, it was accompanied by a small bucket of pre-salted chips, a small pot of gravy, and a small pot of the most delicious, tangy garlic sauce! Mmm, best part of the meal - I'll be back. Great atmosphere too, and I could see more seating through a doorway.

When I left for the theatre, the #56 got me to within spitting distance in about half an hour. Fastest I've ever got here! Seems to be a cafe next door that I don't think I noticed before - one of these places with a queue, even though it's mostly empty. Collected my ticket from the lady at the desk, who had the longest, glitteriest gold nails I've ever seen, and just in time remembered to give my old postcode, which I'd had when I booked the ticket. (Must also remember to give it for the couple of things I've booked since I moved, where they wouldn't let me change address!)

I then made my way to the bar, where the group were to meet. And lo, that woman who, in a late-night rant (never a good idea), accused me of all sorts, and called me all kinds of unjust names, was sat in the lobby, just outside..! Well, she wasn't on the list of attendees, so she must have got someone else's ticket - or come independently. So I stayed in the bar - couldn't be bothered with her nonsense; who knew what she'd come out with?! As for the bar, I see there's a service charge on cards for bills under £5 - happily, my wine cost exactly £5, and as she served me, she asked whether I'd be taking it into the show, so gave it to me in plastic.

As it happened, there were a couple of people from the group in the bar already, who'd nabbed a table down the back - clever them, it was packed. And when the organiser arrived, and came into the bar, she joined them - as did we all. No sign of That Person, happily. Nor when we were queueing to go in - although I use the word "queueing" advisedly, as all we did was swarm to the basement, where Studio 2 is. There wasn't room to form an orderly queue. Didn't spot her either as we took our seats - I went for the front row, as usual when I get the choice.

A sparse set - just a striking, round red mat, a chair, a table with just a jug of water and a glass. And just the one actor, who spent the 75-minute show telling us the story, taking the odd sip of water, and mostly sitting on the chair. She's Hanna, and she's here to tell you what happened when it turned out that her infant daughter wasn't really hers - the babies were swapped accidentally in the hospital, and everyone only found out years later.

As the story unfolds, she tells it absolutely beautifully - she makes you live every dramatic moment. The beginning is friendly, funny - someone on the other side of the room had a really noticeable laugh, which erupted on numerous occasions. Then the shock reveal that everyone was expecting from the posters.. and then a bit that lagged a little for me, before a dramatic conclusion that literally had me on the edge of my seat! Very good theatre, recommended. Runs till the 20th, and was nearly sold out tonight - booking recommended.

Afterwards, there was a general move to the bar - but with that annoying Certain Someone in the vicinity (I spotted her afterwards), I took myself home. Vexingly, Google Maps had me going from the Dalston Junction stop, across the road - but that stop is closed! No mention on the TFL website - I've complained. Anyway, I needs must walk on to the next stop - in the rain, which hadn't been forecast when I checked. Hey, at least I should get to bed at a decent hour! Need it, that's for sure. Just have to - eh - unpack my bedding, now! :-/

Tomorrow, I thought Time Out threw me a curiously interesting event - so I'm going on this Space Descent VR experience, at the Science Museum. I'll have to leave work early for it - there are timed slots, and it consists of wearing goggles, and living the experience of a descent to earth, with the astronaut Tim Peake narrating in your ears.

On Saturday, Crick Crack is back! Happy New Year to them too. The story of When Time Began is being told at King's Place. Creation myths. And wouldn't you know it, we're being treated to a host of performers - the husband and wife team, Emily and Nick Hennessy, and co-founder of the club, the amazing Ben Haggerty. Accompaniment provided by the wonderful musician, Sheema Mukherjee. Just today advertised on their Meetup group though! Honestly, if I were waiting for notification from them..

On Sunday, another Happy new Year - this time to Let's Do This (LDT), who are off to an art exhibition. Gilbert & George: the Beard Pictures and their Fuckosophy. Sorry, but that is the title. Showing at the White Cube Gallery. Honestly, but for the group that's hosting, I wouldn't bother..

More art on Monday, which I'll probably enjoy more. I'm taking the day off to go see Reflections at the National Gallery - an exhibition of Pre-Raphaelites, which, with a free day, I can peruse at my leisure. As inspired by a walk by the excellent London Literary Walks - roll on the summer, and a return of those! Oh, and just lately, LDT advertised another trip to the excellent Vintage Swing Jazz evenings at Wilton's - for that evening. And why not, indeed? So I booked that, too..

On Tuesday, I was thinking of going to a film. Listings for next week were just released last Tuesday. Anyway, delightfully, top place goes to Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri, whose trailer I'd already seen and which was one I identified as a must-see. Directed by Martin McDonaghFrances McDormand is the frustrated mother of a young woman that was raped and murdered, but whose attacker was never caught. So she rents these billboards, on which she posts messages designed to shock the police into action - greatly irritating the police chief, Woody Harrelson. This black comedy is critically acclaimed, looks fantastic - and is previewing during the week, including at the BFI on Tuesday! As it was nearly sold out, I decided to book - and Lordy, what a time I had! No wonder it took me so long to get to bed - see, I wanted to change my address, as I already had with my bank, but every time I tried to do it the site crashed. I finally managed it, on my third browser, by not touching the address settings at all - lo and behold, it went through with the wrong address. Phew..

On Wednesday and next Thursday, I'm with Up in the Cheap Seats again. On Wednesday, it's Misalliance, by Bernard Shaw, in the Orange Tree Theatre - on Thursday, I'm looking forward to the stage version of The Twilight Zone, at the Almeida! Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend.

The next week sees not much action with Meetup - well, there wasn't when I was looking - and booking! Still quiet for January, I guess. Still, I'm excited about what I am doing - on the 15th, I'm headed to Mary Stuart, at the Duke of York's Theatre. I've heard so much about this - apparently, they toss a coin beforehand to decide which plays which role, Elizabeth or Mary!

On the 16th, my annual trip to Cirque du Soleil at the Albert Hall! The show this year is Ovo - cheapest tickets for the date coming in at just under £50, but they're worth it!

On the 17th, more comedy - Sara Pascoe, at Wyndham's.

And on the 18th, back with Up in the Cheap Seats - my first Meetup in a week will be Lady Windermere's Fan, at the Vaudeville Theatre.

No comments:

Post a Comment