Wednesday 3 January 2018

Comedy: Stewart Lee - Content Provider

Back in London at last - blown with some force by Storm Eleanor. And, after that tortuous drive to see my friend in Cork - involving, I kid you not, a blizzard, followed by hail and sleet, then rain, and finishing with fog on the trickiest section - I'm glad to be back in the peaceful weather system that prevails in London! Tonight, I booked to see Stewart Lee at Leicester Square Theatre. Determinedly not in the front two rows - not for a comedy show!

Well, it occurred to me last night that the only sensible way both to get to that and get some packing done - the movers are due tomorrow - was to work from home today, which I did. Now, I checked, and blast it if this isn't a place that requires you to print your Print-at-Home ticket! Happily, my work computer adjusted to the printer without issues - and it hardly mattered if the red on the theatre logo printed as yellow.

So, off I set in plenty of time - taking the more direct route than from our old office, it was supposed to take me about 20 minutes. And Google Maps, to its credit, was quite accurate in this - we can put the excess time taken down to time spent waiting to cross roads, and the crowds meandering along Wardour Street.

There was a small queue outside the theatre - this was sold out. Signs by the door say that Print-at-Home tickets must include a barcode. Present and correct - and despite not having an id check, they were checking bags. Down the stairs then, and straight to my seat - I could have got wine, but knew I'd be having some later at home so I said I'd skip it.



I hoped I was far enough from the centre not to be picked on - but he doesn't really. Apart from the people in the very front and centre. The stage is covered with dvds - he later explains that these are live performances by other comics, before proceeding to stamp on them and kick them about (towards the back, rather than the audience, happily). Looking back on when I saw him before, I notice that his rant about mobile phones seems to be a feature at the start of a show - can't really argue with him about that, and I have to say that I wasn't as bothered about it this time. Maybe I'm getting used to him!

A lot of his run is sold out, more performances have very limited availability - he pointed out to us that tonight was sold out, and those empty seats? Sold to touts who couldn't sell them on. As he said, what should he care? He got paid either way.. Mind you, he spent most of the night berating us for laughing in the wrong places, or not laughing enough. Which became a running joke in itself, of course. And bless the guy in the front row who gave the wrong answer to a question..!

Themes? Well, he started by saying he wanted a show that would carry past April of next year, so he didn't want to talk about Brexit. Which he then spent 20 minutes talking about, natch. Go to a Stewart Lee show, you'd better be in favour of Remain (in the EU). I had to laugh at his description of his discussion with a friend that voted Leave, as a protest vote. Stewart, apparently, likened this to shitting in a hotel bed because you objected to the service. To which his friend replied - "What if there was already shit in the bed?" Stewart: "Well, the solution is hardly to shit more!" "No indeed, you should change beds!" Stewart: "But what if Boris Johnson is in the other one..?" at which his friend conceded the point.

At the interval, he played us some rather catchy "Turkish funk" music - as he described it. The second half saw him do a mini-reprise of the Brexit theme, likening it to the election of Trump. Not much more on that - I think he was saving it for an American audience. No, he lit into the younger generation - here classified as "under-40s". A very funny rant against Game of Thrones followed - and I didn't get some of the references, not being a fan, but I got the gist. Loved the bit where he suggested that the large quantity of scantily clad women in the show might be the reason why one of the characters was so short. (Think about that for a second.) He then acknowledged that, in this, he was being biased against dwarves. Mind you, as he said, as he was using it in the context of highlighting the exploitation of young women in modern media, it kind of cancelled out.. However, his routine on bondage just left me cold, and I nearly fell asleep - in my defence, I was up far too late last night doing my film list..

Overall, really intelligent material, very insightful. Too much repetition, some sketches were too laboured. But I do really like this guy, and would happily see him again. Show runs till the 3rd of next month - recommended!

Tomorrow, wish me luck with the move. Again, I'll be working from home, and in the evening I'm back with Up in the Cheap Seats (Happy New Year to them!), who are off to see Hanna, at the Arcola. Mercifully, tickets are to be collected from the box office..

On Friday, I thought Time Out threw me a curiously interesting event - so I'm going on this Space Descent VR experience, at the Science Museum. I'll have to leave work early for it - there are timed slots, and it consists of wearing goggles, and living the experience of a descent to earth, with the astronaut Tim Peake narrating in your ears.

On Saturday, Crick Crack is back! Happy New Year to them too. The story of When Time Began is being told at King's Place. Creation myths. And wouldn't you know it, we're being treated to a host of performers - the husband and wife team, Emily and Nick Hennessy, and co-founder of the club, the amazing Ben Haggerty. Accompaniment provided by the wonderful musician, Sheema Mukherjee. Just today advertised on their Meetup group though! Honestly, if I were waiting for notification from them..

On Sunday, another Happy new Year - this time to Let's Do This (LDT), who are off to an art exhibition. Gilbert & George: the Beard Pictures and their Fuckosophy. Sorry, but that is the title. Showing at the White Cube Gallery. Honestly, but for the group that's hosting, I wouldn't bother..

More art on Monday, which I'll probably enjoy more. I'm taking the day off to go see Reflections at the National Gallery - an exhibition of Pre-Raphaelites, which, with a free day, I can peruse at my leisure. As inspired by a walk by the excellent London Literary Walks - roll on the summer, and a return of those! Oh, and just lately, LDT advertised another trip to the excellent Vintage Swing Jazz evenings at Wilton's - for that evening. And why not, indeed? So I booked that, too..

On Tuesday, I was thinking of going to a film - hence the urgency of my film list (ahah! sez you). Listings for next week were just released yesterday. Anyway, delightfully, top place goes to Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri, whose trailer I'd already seen and which was one I identified as a must-see. Directed by Martin McDonagh, Frances McDormand is the frustrated mother of a young woman that was raped and murdered, but whose attacker was never caught. So she rents these billboards, on which she posts messages designed to shock the police into action - greatly irritating the police chief, Woody Harrelson. This black comedy is critically acclaimed, looks fantastic - and is previewing during the week, including at the BFI on Tuesday! As it was nearly sold out, I decided to book - and Lordy, what a time I had! No wonder it took me so long to get to bed - see, I wanted to change my address, as I already had with my bank, but every time I tried to do it the site crashed. I finally managed it, on my third browser, by not touching the address settings at all - lo and behold, it went through with the wrong address. Phew..

Next Wednesday and on Thursday the 11th, I'm with Up in the Cheap Seats again. On Wednesday, it's Misalliance, by Bernard Shaw, in the Orange Tree Theatre - on Thursday, I'm looking forward to the stage version of The Twilight Zone, at the Almeida! Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend.

The next week sees not much action with Meetup - well, there wasn't when I was looking - and booking! Still quiet for January, I guess. Still, I'm excited about what I am doing - on the 15th, I'm headed to Mary Stuart, at the Duke of York's Theatre. I've heard so much about this - apparently, they toss a coin beforehand to decide which plays which role, Elizabeth or Mary!

On the 16th, my annual trip to Cirque du Soleil at the Albert Hall! The show this year is Ovo - cheapest tickets for the date coming in at just under £50, but they're worth it!

On the 17th, more comedy - Sara Pascoe, at Wyndham's.

And on the 18th, back with Up in the Cheap Seats - my first Meetup in a week will be Lady Windermere's Fan, at the Vaudeville Theatre.

No comments:

Post a Comment