Wednesday 27 December 2017

Restaurant: Texas Steakout

Oh Lordy, it's good to have a break! I need time to recharge, you know? to straighten my head out before it short-circuits. Things are going to be manic when I get back - I need some r&r beforehand.


So, with Christmas over, the focus shifts from family to friends, and tonight I arranged to see an old friend for dinner at the Texas Steakout. On street parking is free in the evenings, and I got a space just down the road a bit. Was a bit early, and walking along O' Connell Street, there were so many businesses that I didn't recognise, I started to worry whether the Texas Steakout would even still be there! No fear - it's hard to see from the side I was approaching from, but it's still there, with the same facade - reassuringly.

I was glad we'd agreed to meet here - it's been absolutely years since I ate here! The same curved steps lead down to the basement restaurant, the same certificates of excellence decorate the walls. Me, I was glad to get in from the freezing cold. The door handles are in the shape of rifles - I don't remember that! They were a bit busy, and we were asked to wait on the couch in the reception / bar area; I can't put my finger on what exactly they've changed, but this part does seem more spacious than before.

It's still a warren of nooks and crannies, as we discovered when we were called after just a few minutes. We were duly seated at a small table, squeezed into one of those corners, and presented with menus - shorter than I remember. The range of food still includes Mexican - unenthused by the other starters, I chose the soup (mushroom). The main course, however, had to be the chicken in honey and mustard sauce, which tops the list and immediately caught my eye. My companion went for Mexican, for a change - as he said; he had a chicken burrito. And I chose my wine based on the name - with two pinot grigios on the menu, and all glasses at the same price, I went for the Dominus. Suitably authoritative, I felt!

The soup here comes without bread, FYI - when my companion requested it, he was assured that some would be brought, but it took the waiter some time to source a few slices, which he presented to us on a wooden platter, with some pats of butter and an apology, this was all he could get! Unusual. Anyway, the bread was piping hot, and we finished it. The wine was ok, if a little weak.. the soup was tasty, if not as hot as the bread.

The chicken had to be the absolute star of the show, though - one of the tastiest dishes I've ever had! The fries I'd chosen with it paled in comparison, and the onion rings I asked for as a side? Blandest I've tasted - avoid. The burrito was a hit, apparently. When the waiter came to collect our dishes, he asked whether I'd like to take the onion rings home. Heh. No. The sauce I'd had with the chicken proved quite filling, so I didn't feel like dessert - had quite a decent hot chocolate instead, topped with mini marshmallows. So, a successful evening overall - and great to see my friend again, first time in years too. I made sure to wrap up before heading out into the freezing night..

Driving down to see my other friend in Cork tomorrow - will stay the night, as usual, it being such a trek! Flying back to London on Tuesday, and next Wednesday I've booked to see Stewart Lee at Leicester Square Theatre. Determinedly not in the front two rows - not for a comedy show! Sometime around that, I must get some packing done - I've booked the movers for the next day!

On the 4th, I'm back with Up in the Cheap Seats (Happy New Year to them!), who are off to see Hanna, at the Arcola. Have booked the move for that day as well - hope it all goes ok!

On the 5th, I thought Time Out threw me a curiously interesting event - so I'm going on this Space Descent VR experience, at the Science Museum. I'll have to leave work early for it - there are timed slots, and it consists of wearing goggles, and living the experience of a descent to earth, with the astronaut Tim Peake narrating in your ears.

On the 6th, Crick Crack is back! Happy New Year to them too. The story of When Time Began is being told at King's Place. Creation myths. And wouldn't you know it, we're being treated to a host of performers - the husband and wife team, Emily and Nick Hennessy, and co-founder of the club, the amazing Ben Haggerty. Accompaniment provided by the wonderful musician, Sheema Mukherjee. Still not advertised on their Meetup group though! Honestly, if I were waiting for notification from them..

On the 7th, another Happy new Year - this time to Let's Do This (LDT), who are off to an art exhibition. Gilbert & George: the Beard Pictures and their Fuckosophy. Sorry, but that is the title. Showing at the White Cube Gallery. Honestly, but for the group that's hosting, I wouldn't bother..

And finally, more art on the 8th, which I'll probably enjoy more. I'm taking the day off to go see Reflections at the National Gallery - an exhibition of Pre-Raphaelites, which, with a free day, I can peruse at my leisure. As inspired by a walk by the excellent London Literary Walks - roll on the summer, and a return of those! Oh, and just lately, LDT advertised another trip to the excellent Vintage Swing Jazz evenings at Wilton's - for the evening of the 8th. And why not, indeed? So I booked that, too..

No comments:

Post a Comment