Wednesday 20 December 2017

Play: The Box of Delights

On Thursday, my friends who came to Soho a while ago were headed to Wilton's Music Hall, for something called The Box of Delights. And for once, I let them decide for me, and went myself too. Another one that's handier from my new place - so, having got back to London, I spent three nights there. Moved the bed to the other wall, to avoid the noise from the blocked-up chimney - and my comfort level was greatly increased when I hawked my pillows, under my arm, on the bus, from the old place to the new, that afternoon. Managed to bring my table lamp too, and the extension lead that I hadn't thought I'd necessarily need, because there were two sockets - but that was where the bed used to be, and from the other side, I'd need the lead. Yep, the place is looking and feeling more homey now! Just wait till it gets jammed with the rest of my stuff..

Well, after I'd done all that, I needed to hustle to get to Wilton's in time. I took the Tube, to be as early as possible; Google Maps needs to get more accurate for this side of town - it predicted a 25-minute journey for me, but it turned out to be more like 40 minutes, and I was only just in time! Panted my way to the box office, and upstairs - didn't need to print out a ticket for this: thankfully, given that my printer is still in the old place. My seat was in the front of the two rows in the gallery, and faced the stage - I hadn't been upstairs before, and this gave me a perfect view of the peeling ceiling and walls, as well as of the stage. An enthusiastic young chap beside me asked whether this was the oldest venue in London - I don't know, but said I didn't think so. Anyway, he thought it was very atmospheric - I recommended him to the jazz evenings, downstairs. He was taking notes throughout the performance - I wonder whether he was press?

The Box of Delights, which is, apparently, based on a children's book, turns out to be a terribly traditional, English, children's adventure story, set around Christmas. (And this is its first stage adaptation - as a play, anyway.) So, a young boy, heading home for the holidays, runs into some mysterious folk, and ends up in possession of a magical box (the Box of Delights of the title), which he has to keep safe from the bad guys. The box confers the ability to shrink, to travel quickly, and to time travel.

It's an utterly charming production, well acted and with some truly impressive special effects - everyone pitches in on all sides, and various cast members can be seen from time to time, tugging on various bits of scenery. The sound effects are particularly effective, and could be scary for younger folk. Anyway, it's the perfect time of year for it, and although it does seem dated, it does wholeheartedly embrace the Christmas spirit. So, recommended for a blast of the same - runs until the 6th.

My friends were sat in the very front row - I spotted them after a while, but it would have been tricky to find them at the interval, and I was out too late afterwards, and didn't see them. A cold wait for the bus ensued, for me - and I was still suffering from exhaustion, which was probably mostly mental by this stage. So, still no blogging..

On Friday, my final trip of the year to the Crick Crack ClubJan Blake was performing Masters of Hex at the British Library. Along with Ben Haggerty and TUUP. Same friend going with me as did on the 29th, and Helen too - and the same lunatic. Who would probably avoid us, and good enough for her. On Saturday, I flew back to Ireland for Christmas - a good chance to get my head together, with everything that's going on!

Flying back to London on the 2nd of January, and on the 3rd I've booked to see Stewart Lee at Leicester Square Theatre. Determinedly not in the front two rows - not for a comedy show!

On the 4th of January, I'm back with Up in the Cheap Seats (Happy New Year to them!), who are off to see Hanna, at the Arcola.

On the 5th of January, I thought Time Out threw me a curiously interesting event - so I'm going on this Space Descent VR experience, at the Science Museum. I'll have to leave work early for it - there are timed slots, and it consists of wearing goggles, and living the experience of a descent to earth, with the astronaut Tim Peake narrating in your ears.

On the 6th of January, Crick Crack is back! Happy New Year to them too. The story of When Time Began is being told at King's Place. Creation myths. And wouldn't you know it, we're being treated to a host of performers - the husband and wife team, Emily and Nick Hennessy, and co-founder of the club, the amazing Ben Haggerty. Accompaniment provided by the wonderful musician, Sheema Mukherjee.

On the 7th of January, another Happy new Year - this time to Let's Do This (LDT), who are off to an art exhibition. Gilbert & George: the Beard Pictures and their Fuckosophy. Sorry, but that is the title. Showing at the White Cube Gallery. Honestly, but for the group that's hosting, I wouldn't bother..

And finally, more art on the 8th of January, which I'll probably enjoy more. I'm taking the day off to go see Reflections at the National Gallery - an exhibition of Pre-Raphaelites, which, with a free day, I can peruse at my leisure. As inspired by a walk by the excellent London Literary Walks - roll on the summer, and a return of those! Oh, and just lately, LDT advertised another trip to the excellent Vintage Swing Jazz evenings at Wilton's - for the evening of the 8th. And why not, indeed? So I booked that, too..

No comments:

Post a Comment