Monday 4 December 2017

Play - Heisenberg: The Uncertainty Principle

Today, I was finally booked to see Heisenberg: the Uncertainty Principle, at Wyndham's Theatre. Another that London Dramatic Arts saw before I could, and another I rescheduled - this from the 16th October, when I was with Up in the Cheap Seats. Another nominal fee to change. And they posted me physical tickets - how retro! However, when I met Mary on Tuesday (first time in weeks), she said, quite rightly, that we should make arrangements for a night out - and with iffy reviews for this, I suggested today. Well, but we hadn't agreed on anything, and when it came to this morning, she wasn't feeling the best - so off I schlepped, as booked.

A late start, so predictably, there was to be no interval. Being early, I sat in the lobby beforehand - gosh, the only time I've ever sat in a theatre lobby before this was when I was too late for the start, and they refused to let me in until a suitable moment! Well, tonight I sat in the lobby - I'd have had to go downstairs for the bar, which seemed like too much effort considering that I was sitting upstairs, and upstairs wasn't open yet. So I read the paper, and admired the ornate decor. And about half an hour before start time, they opened the upstairs and up I went. Where they tore my ticket, before realising that it was for the Upper Circle, which wasn't open. Back down I had to go to the box office, to be given a similar ticket - front row, centre - for the Royal Circle, one level down (with an accompanying "tsk" for the others having torn it.).


As close as I've been to the stage of any theatre in a while - perfect, view, decent legroom. I was well pleased with myself. Practically the entire row behind me was filled with a school group, who all had to shuffle up when a couple arrived who'd booked the aisle seats at the end near the door. I must say, the school group were well behaved - apart, perhaps, from the person right behind me, who sporadically found it satisfying to kick my seat, and at one point had a thing for fiddling with a plastic bottle. Can't say I blame them, it is quite satisfying  - and I found it somehow comforting. Of course, I was already in a good mood from the seating arrangement. Had my mother been there, now, there'd have been blue bloody murder..

So. This play bears very little relationship to the scientific principle after which it's named, although that does get a nod. Just a nod. Because this is a romantic comedy with two non-scientists in it, and the writer just threw it in, I suspect, because "Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle" is a well-known phrase. So, forget that. Instead, what we get is a very sparse stage, all in white, with white furniture - a very clever one, with the walls contracting and expanding to fit the characters' moods, and furniture disappearing into the floor for scene changes.

The story starts with an elderly man, sat in what is meant to be a train station, who is approached by a much younger woman, who engages him in intense conversation. He is, of course, amazed - this is London, after all! Of course, she's American. Anyway, an unlikely love story develops.

Dunno why the reviews were so iffy - I loved it, thought it was really sweet! The script is witty, the characters engaging - and there's obviously a great rapport between the actors. Very glad I saw it - and as usual, very glad of the lack of an interval - if someone hadn't been in the office when I got back, and keen for chat, I'd have been home unusually early! Booking until 6th January - recommended.

Tomorrow, my annual trip to La Soirée! "Posh new venue", as they say - they're now in the Aldwych Theatre. Cheapest tickets at Amazon tickets - you save on the booking fee. I see they're another one to have a family-friendly version - La Petite Soirée!

Wednesday sees our office Christmas party! Mercifully, I've just found out it's not black tie this year - don't have to buy a new outfit, then! It's at Bounce - a pub with ping pong tables, wouldya believe?! We have a private room, with three such tables and a karaoke machine. I foresee a noisy night..!

I can't stay long though - have to be at Stansted at 6 in the morning of the 7th, for a trip to Nuremberg Christmas market with London European Club! We'll also be doing some travelling in the area. Helen liked the sound of it, and is coming too: sadly, not my Crick Crack friend, who can't swing the holiday time. We'll have a ball though! I just bought Lonely Planet's chapter on Bavaria, downloaded it, and have shared it with her - isn't it handy how you can buy individual chapters? Mercifully, although the crazy woman was supposed to go on this, she's pulled out. So, the plan is to stay in the new place, the night before..

Back late on Sunday, and next Monday - having taken the day off work (I'll be exhausted) - I'm off to the Barbershop Chronicles. At the National. Mind you, I've suggested this as an alternative for Mary - we'll see.

On the 12th, I've just booked a Funzing talk - Interviews With a Serial Killer, courtesy of London Speaks Sessions and LDN Talks @ Night. For which, with their new loyalty scheme, I earned £10 credit! Not so shabby..

On the 13th, my last visit of the year to Sands Films - finally advertised on Meetup, through the World Music MeetupTunedIn London has a concert by Plastikes Karekles, a Greek group. However, the friend I've been persuading to go to the Crick Crack events has suggested that night for a nostalgic trip, by some of us, to Top Secret - I would rather do that, so we'll see whether we can get it together!

On the 14th, my friends who came to Soho a while ago are headed to Wilton's Music Hall, for something called The Box of Delights. And for once, I'm letting them decide for me, and am going myself too.

On the 15th, my final trip of the year to the Crick Crack Club - Jan Blake is performing Masters of Hex at the British Library. Along with Ben Haggerty and TUUP. Same friend going with me as on the 29th, and Helen too - and the same lunatic. Who will probably avoid us, and good enough for her. Next day, I'm back to Ireland for Christmas.

Flying back to London on the 2nd of January, and on the 3rd I've booked to see Stewart Lee at Leicester Square Theatre. Determinedly not in the front two rows - not for a comedy show!

On the 4th of January, I'm back with Up in the Cheap Seats (Happy New Year to them!), who are off to see Hanna, at the Arcola.

On the 5th of January, I thought Time Out threw me a curiously interesting event - so I'm going on this Space Descent VR experience, at the Science Museum. I'll have to leave work early for it - there are timed slots, and it consists of wearing goggles, and living the experience of a descent to earth, with the astronaut Tim Peake narrating in your ears.

On the 6th of January, Crick Crack is back! Happy New Year to them too. The story of When Time Began is being told at King's Place. Creation myths. And wouldn't you know it, we're being treated to a host of performers - the husband and wife team, Emily and Nick Hennessy, and co-founder of the club, the amazing Ben Haggerty. Accompaniment provided by the wonderful musician, Sheema Mukherjee.

On the 7th of January, another Happy new Year - this time to LDT, who are off to an art exhibition. Gilbert & George: the Beard Pictures and their Fuckosophy. Sorry, but that is the title. Showing at the White Cube Gallery. Honestly, but for the group that's hosting, I wouldn't bother..

And finally, more art on the 8th of January, which I'll probably enjoy more. I'm taking the day off to go see Reflections at the National Gallery - an exhibition of Pre-Raphaelites, which, with a free day, I can peruse at my leisure. As inspired by a walk by the excellent London Literary Walks - roll on the summer, and a return of those!

No comments:

Post a Comment