Wednesday 20 December 2017

Concert: Plastikes Karekles

Safely back in London, but too exhausted to blog that night. Thank goodness I was working from home for the rest of the week, with the office move - and thank goodness for the free WiFi in my new place! On Wednesday, I was busy catching up with things - and that night, I had my last visit of the year to Sands Films - finally advertised on Meetup, through the World Music MeetupTunedIn London had a concert by Plastikes Karekles, a Greek group. The friend I've been persuading to go to the Crick Crack events had suggested that night for a nostalgic trip, by some of us, to Top Secret - I would rather do that, but unfortunately he couldn't get anyone else to agree, so we postponed the idea.

I thought it'd be handier to get to Sands Films from the new place, and it is - still two buses, though. Mercifully, the first one flew through town, the driver one of those who revved at the red lights and tore through orange lights. The important thing was not to miss the C10 - this is very handy, dropping me just down from the venue: but is notoriously slow, always caught in traffic, with long gaps between buses. Happily, I was in good time for it - and I have to give a shout out to the Bus Countdown app, which gives really accurate timings for what buses are due next at your stop, and how long they'll take! V reassuring.

Still n all, it was pretty tight, and I arrived slightly late, and panting - the guy at the door told me to chill! They hadn't started yet, of course. The organiser was getting ready to make her speech as I headed in, and told me that there were some other members in the room - honestly though, I was still wrecked, and in no mood to be sociable. I took a seat at the side.

The group consists of three guys and a lady - she spent the first number elegantly clicking castanets, and I mused whether that would be all she'd do for the evening! I needn't have worried - later numbers saw her break into song, and it was a lovely addition. And, predictably, the whole set, a kind of Greek-jazz fusion, was a beautiful blast of sunshine, in the depths of winter. Quite a contrast to where I'd just been - I really enjoyed it, despite nearly falling asleep several times with Christmas Market-lag. And, ironically, the one time I had cash - they'd forgotten to bring cds!

Too tired, still, to contemplate blogging about Germany. On Thursday, my friends who came to Soho a while ago were headed to Wilton's Music Hall, for something called The Box of Delights. And for once, I let them decide for me, and went myself too.

On Friday, my final trip of the year to the Crick Crack Club - Jan Blake was performing Masters of Hex at the British Library. Along with Ben Haggerty and TUUP. Same friend going with me as did on the 29th, and Helen too - and the same lunatic. Who would probably avoid us, and good enough for her. On Saturday, I flew back to Ireland for Christmas - a good chance to get my head together, with everything that's going on!

Flying back to London on the 2nd of January, and on the 3rd I've booked to see Stewart Lee at Leicester Square Theatre. Determinedly not in the front two rows - not for a comedy show!

On the 4th of January, I'm back with Up in the Cheap Seats (Happy New Year to them!), who are off to see Hanna, at the Arcola.

On the 5th of January, I thought Time Out threw me a curiously interesting event - so I'm going on this Space Descent VR experience, at the Science Museum. I'll have to leave work early for it - there are timed slots, and it consists of wearing goggles, and living the experience of a descent to earth, with the astronaut Tim Peake narrating in your ears.

On the 6th of January, Crick Crack is back! Happy New Year to them too. The story of When Time Began is being told at King's Place. Creation myths. And wouldn't you know it, we're being treated to a host of performers - the husband and wife team, Emily and Nick Hennessy, and co-founder of the club, the amazing Ben Haggerty. Accompaniment provided by the wonderful musician, Sheema Mukherjee.

On the 7th of January, another Happy new Year - this time to Let's Do This (LDT), who are off to an art exhibition. Gilbert & George: the Beard Pictures and their Fuckosophy. Sorry, but that is the title. Showing at the White Cube Gallery. Honestly, but for the group that's hosting, I wouldn't bother..

And finally, more art on the 8th of January, which I'll probably enjoy more. I'm taking the day off to go see Reflections at the National Gallery - an exhibition of Pre-Raphaelites, which, with a free day, I can peruse at my leisure. As inspired by a walk by the excellent London Literary Walks - roll on the summer, and a return of those! Oh, and just lately, LDT advertised another trip to the excellent Vintage Swing Jazz evenings at Wilton's - for the evening of the 8th. And why not, indeed? So I booked that, too..

No comments:

Post a Comment