Sunday 7 January 2018

Art: Gilbert & George - the Beard Pictures and their Fuckosophy

Today, Happy new Year to Let's Do This (LDT), who were off to an art exhibition. Gilbert & George: the Beard Pictures and their Fuckosophy. Sorry, but that is the title. Showing at the White Cube Gallery. Honestly, but for the group that was hosting, I wouldn't have bothered..

At least this was a later start! So I had a leisurely awakening, and time for breakfast. Best travel option was a bus to London Bridge, and walk from there - should take about half an hour. And wouldn't you know it.. no bus problems today! Third time lucky, eh? Well, apart from when I was stood at the stop, wondering where my bus was, and the Bus Countdown app got mixed up with the bus going in the opposite direction.. by the time I'd figured out that much, my bus was approaching anyway.

It was a beautifully sunny day, but with a ferociously strong and bitterly cold wind. And it didn't help that I got lost, as usual, at London Bridge - I'd have been on time if not for that! For a start - as I discovered on the way back - I shouldn't have got off on the bridge itself, but should have waited another stop, until the bus made it all the way into the bus station. There, if I'd but known it, there are escalators down to street level, and I could have saved myself some minutes by taking that route. Never mind, it's an interesting part of town:


More photos here. Well, as I headed down the road, messages were coming through from others who'd be delayed - I posted one myself that I'd probably be slightly late. In the event, by my phone's reckoning, I was two minutes past the time of 2pm as I came in the door, where our organiser was standing inside, looking for us through the glass front. He suggested I could wait for the others, or meander off around the exhibition myself - it isn't so huge that you'd get lost, and he'd arranged to meet back at the entrance at 3. So, off I moseyed, enjoying the feeling coming back into my hands, now that I was inside - I'd neglected to bring gloves.

Let me start by saying this; the purpose of this exhibition, in my opinion, having now seen it, is to shock and provoke its audience. I can see little more point in having walls filled with common phrases, with that word that starts with "F" and rhymes with "duck" either added or substituted for some other word in the phrase. Mind you, one of our group did catch one phrase that didn't have that word in it. Me, I didn't look closely enough to find it:


Moving around the rooms off the central corridor, we are confronted with lots of large works, depicting Gilbert and George, in red, with beards, in a variety of surreal settings. I've got to say, it's very colourful - with all the red n all. And very shiny. Many of the works depict wire, as if they're in a cage. But as for an overriding theme? Nah.




Someone mentioned that art should inspire emotion. Yes, it did - the motion it inspired in me was amusement. Which was most clearly illustrated in the film that was playing at the end of the hall. Recommended for brief periods - people were wandering in and out of it. Gilbert and George were singing in it - they're quite good singers, as it happens!


I do have to give due credit to the guy that wrote the blurb for the free flier - takes real talent to find that much to say about this exhibition! Mind you, I'm not really the person to ask - I'm one of those that thinks that much modern art is just taking the p*ss. Anyway, this runs until the 28th.

Afterwards, we repaired to cafe No. 83, just down the road and in the direction of the station, which was handy. Even handier, they had some tables already pushed together just inside the door, which had recently been vacated, it seemed - so we had enough room for all the group to sit together. I had a hot chocolate - which, as usual, I had to add sugar to - and a croissant, served with butter and jam (looked more like marmalade). The chap opposite me ordered a green tea, which the waiter forgot about - then he changed his mind and ordered a latte instead, whereupon he was eventually served a green tea. Which was subsequently changed for a latte. Same waiter thought my hot chocolate was a cappuchino - never mind, I got it in the end. Others had wine, and someone ordered sweet chilli nuts, which didn't go down well, and were eventually passed around. Now, I love sweet chilli, generally - but my word, this went way too heavy on the chilli! I had just one and needed water - and although they were very tasty, after a few more, I had an enduring burning sensation and had to leave it.

More art tomorrow, which I'll probably enjoy more. I'm taking the day off to go see Reflections at the National Gallery - an exhibition of Pre-Raphaelites (much more conventional), which, with a free day, I can peruse at my leisure. As inspired by a walk by the excellent London Literary Walks - roll on the summer, and a return of those! Oh, and just lately, LDT advertised another trip to the excellent Vintage Swing Jazz evenings at Wilton's - for that evening. And why not, indeed? So I booked that, too..

On Tuesday, I was thinking of going to a film. Listings for next week were just released last Tuesday. Anyway, delightfully, top place goes to Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri, whose trailer I'd already seen and which was one I identified as a must-see. Directed by Martin McDonaghFrances McDormand is the frustrated mother of a young woman that was raped and murdered, but whose attacker was never caught. So she rents these billboards, on which she posts messages designed to shock the police into action - greatly irritating the police chief, Woody Harrelson. This black comedy is critically acclaimed, looks fantastic - and is previewing during the week, including at the BFI on Tuesday! As it was nearly sold out, I decided to book - and Lordy, what a time I had! No wonder it took me so long to get to bed - see, I wanted to change my address, as I already had with my bank, but every time I tried to do it the site crashed. I finally managed it, on my third browser, by not touching the address settings at all - lo and behold, it went through with the wrong address. Phew..

On Wednesday and Thursday, I'm with Up in the Cheap Seats again. On Wednesday, it's Misalliance, by Bernard Shaw, in the Orange Tree Theatre - on Thursday, I'm looking forward to the stage version of The Twilight Zone, at the Almeida! Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend.

Next week sees not much action with Meetup - well, there wasn't when I was looking - and booking! Still quiet for January, I guess. Still, I'm excited about what I am doing - on the 15th, I'm headed to Mary Stuart, at the Duke of York's Theatre. I've heard so much about this - apparently, they toss a coin beforehand to decide which plays which role, Elizabeth or Mary!

On the 16th, my annual trip to Cirque du Soleil at the Albert Hall! The show this year is Ovo - cheapest tickets for the date coming in at just under £50, but they're worth it! So, back through that subway again..

On the 17th, more comedy - Sara Pascoe, at Wyndham's.

And on the 18th, back with Up in the Cheap Seats - my first Meetup in a week will be Lady Windermere's Fan, at the Vaudeville Theatre.

No comments:

Post a Comment