Friday 19 January 2018

Film: Molly's Game

Finally, I had something for tonight! Jeez, that took a while - well, with Meetup resolutely providing practically nothing today, I booked with one of my groups whose names I can't mention. I hadn't checked for a while, and when I did, over the weekend, the "£3.60" club had tickets for Bunny, at the Tristan Bates Theatre. So that's what I booked for.

Gosh, right down near my old office again! Well, I got caught up doing something in my new office, and left a little later than I intended. Wouldn't you know it, I was waiting to cross the road when a #55 passed - I didn't make that one, of course. Still, I was earlier than Google Maps said I needed to be, and the bus I needed to catch happened along in due course. And boy, was it frustrating to watch it blocked, just up the road, by cars trying to turn out of the side road into the lane adjacent to the bus lane, which was jammed with traffic..

..and as we wended our slow way through that traffic, I came to realise that the blasted bus was terminating in Holborn! Short of where I needed. Nuts, with a longer walk, and such slow traffic, I was never going to make it. Of course, it was only when we passed a sign warning about disruptions for the Lumiere festival that I twigged why! Well, I went as far as it would take me, and sure enough, by that stage I couldn't have made it in time. I searched for a Plan B - when I could get the internet to cooperate! Meetup still didn't have anything - unless I wanted to learn to play the sax. The aforementioned club didn't have anything that wasn't sold out by now. Time Out suggested a film.. all right then! Now, I usually do out a spreadsheet and choose by IMDB ratings - but it takes hours, and I haven't done it in over a week. So, by the time I'd have got that done, it would've been to late to go to anything. And I didn't want to do that. So I just said I'd pick the nearest cinema, and go to what was best there.

Ironically, the nearest cinema turned out to be the Odeon Covent Garden! Right next door to my old office - and just up the road from where I was supposed to be. So, off I schlepped - I knew the way - and when I got there, checked out what was showing, that I hadn't seen and was interested in. Three candidates: Darkest Hour, Molly's Game, The Post. The ratings, which I then checked on my useful little phone, couldn't have been closer: Darkest Hour at 7.4, The Post at 7.5.. Molly's Game at 7.6. Well and good, I said, and decided on that. All good choices, anyway - the advantage of going to the cinema just before the Oscars!

I was about to buy a ticket from the machine when it occurred to me to check whether it'd be cheaper to book online! Well, my internet connection was a bit dicey, but I managed it; it took 10 minutes, but this had the latest start time of any of the above, so I had plenty of time. I saved 45p in the process, and automatically got the points credited to my Odeon card! And then just moseyed back to the machine, and pressed Pick Up Tickets instead of Buy Tickets. I still had over half an hour till the scheduled show time - so I wandered around the concessions, and decided on a Pick n Mix. And wow, there's a sign saying they sell alcohol now! So I had a white wine with that, thanks very much. And she even gave me a choice of the shape of plastic container I could have it in - the regular one, or one shaped like a wine glass.. (I had the wine glass.)

So. I checked, and the screen still wasn't ready - so I hung around the side, nibbling at the Pick n Mix, watching the queue get ever longer to go in to see The Post. Glad that wasn't the one I picked. Anyway, shortly after they'd finally been let in, the manager muttered to the usher that 3 & 4 were ready now, and in we went. And I dined most royally on the Pick n Mix, and what turned out to be quite a nice wine. Stopped when the film started, of course - far be it from me to create noise pollution during a film! Had to laugh at the announcement to turn off our phones and stop our conversations - "yes, including the couple in the middle!" How did he know? - they were just behind me, and making the most noise..

Molly's Game is the true story of one Molly Bloom (Jessica Chastain). The name threw me, being the name of a very famous character in James Joyce's Ulysses - in fact, that's referenced in the film, when someone thinks she's Irish. Gosh, were this not the name of a real person, you could form all sorts of theories about why the name was chosen - in the book, she's a very sensual character, and that's how the Molly Bloom of this film is portrayed. But that's not where they got the name, so let's move on.

She has a very ambitious father (Kevin Costner - wow, how long is it since I've seen him in anything!), who pushed her to excel both academically and in sports, and she was an Olympic skier. Until a bad accident forced her out of competition. She then went to work in a cocktail bar in LA, where she met a guy who ran a poker game. She saw all this money changing hands - decided to go into the business for herself. And she started to run the most high-class poker games you're ever likely to see, hiring out suites in posh hotels, laying on food - high-stakes affairs. Michael Cera shows up as a "famous actor" and brilliant poker player, who becomes one of her regulars. No fiction, this - this particular actor isn't mentioned, but check out the Wikipedia article on Molly Bloom for a who's who of who was at the games! Chris O' Dowd is, of course, the drunken gambler - Brian d' Arcy James the one who couldn't win a game if he tried. Idris Elba is the lawyer who takes her case, and Graham Greene the judge she has to deal with. Written and - in his debut - directed by Aaron Sorkin.

Oh wow, this is clever. Hang onto your brain cells - it's quite a ride! Pacey, beautifully scripted and acted - educational in the ways of the poker world, if you can keep up! Pay attention, because you'll need to, and it is a fascinating story. And it looks beautiful - her outfits alone will catch the attention of anyone who's into that sort of thing. There are a couple of barnstorming speeches.. Idris Elba, in particular, plays a blinder with his. Only complaint I have is - there really isn't much of an emotional hook. Even with her reconciliation with her father, years on.. I believed it, I just didn't feel it. Still, it's great to look at, challenging, and highly entertaining. Recommended.

Walking to the bus stop, I passed Cafe Milano, where I've eaten so often - they've gutted the inside, I see! Closing? or just renovating? Tomorrow, Happy New Year to Helen and her husband! We're all off to see Agatha Christie's Witness for the Prosecution, which is showing in County Hall - should be fun. Lunch beforehand - probably hit the Lumiere Festival after, for a bit.

On Sunday, I'm going to the matinĂ©e of Barnum, in the Menier Chocolate Factory. And then, wouldn't you know it, Up in the Cheap Seats advertised a trip to the Lumiere Festival that evening! It's the last day. So I said I'd tag along, after my show - as the organiser said, it could be a problem finding each other, but what the hey! I see London Social Detours is doing the same thing - and charging £3. So I'll stick to Up in the Cheap Seats.

On Monday, I'm finally off to see Everybody's Talking About Jamie, at the Apollo - I rescheduled from the date I'd booked for last year.

On Tuesday, I'm going to Yous Two, at Hampstead Theatre - my first Meetup with North London Friends, finally! I think they might have been the only outlet for tickets, when I booked - I haven't tended to book with them, as they charge a fee.

On Wednesday, I'm finally going to Rita, Sue, and Bob Too! at the Royal Court, with Up in the Cheap Seats. Interesting one, this - we'd booked before, but then the whole run was cancelled after the co-director thought that the subject matter, about the exploitation of teenage girls, was too controversial in the wake of the Weinstein controversy. The artistic director subsequently reversed the decision.

On Thursday, I'm going to The Birthday Party, in the Harold Pinter Theatre. Interesting review in today's paper. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend.

On the 29th, back to the Orange Tree in Richmond for Out of Love, with Up in the Cheap Seats. Have to rush for that one - it's another evening I have a late meeting! Should make it, though.

On the 30th, finally back with FunzingLDN Talks @ Night and London Speaks Sessions are talking about the Seven Wonders of the Solar System, at Cafe 1001. Yeuch - can't stand the place: hipster central. Still, at least I can walk there from work..

On the 31st, I had RSVPed with London Science Talks and Museums Meetup, for a Science Museum late. But hey, it's free - so I had no problem cancelling when Let's Do This advertised a meal the same evening. Turkish, I believe, with a drink at the George Inn beforehand. Closer to me, too.

And I start February with two from Up in the Cheap Seats. On the 1st, I'm at John in the NationalAnd on the 2nd, my now-nearby venue, finally - I'm at Sadler's Wells Sampled.

No comments:

Post a Comment