Friday 5 January 2018

Space Descent VR Experience

Today, I thought Time Out threw me a curiously interesting event - so I booked for this Space Descent VR experience, at the Science Museum. I'd have to leave work early for it - there are timed slots. And the ticket was Print at Home.. so the first task of the day, once I'd figured out where the office was, where to plug in the computer, and how to configure the monitor, was to try to print. We have the same printer as before, but I had to uninstall it as it wasn't working for me; so re-installing it today was fun, but fairly painlessly accomplished with the help of my co-writer. And it now prints beautifully! So beautifully that I could easily read the bit that said it could, alternatively, be shown on your phone. Ah well..

My helpful co-writer also wanted to schedule a meeting with me, to plan the quarter's work. 3pm? Eh, yeah, should be ok. I figured I'd have to leave right after, though. In the meantime, although this is a company that prides itself in feeding us, sadly the kitchen in the new place isn't yet functional. From next week, apparently they're bringing us in cooked lunches - but for today, I went foraging. Passing Abokado, my eye was caught by a display of ready lunches, just inside the door. Hmm. So I ended up going for the teriyaki chicken with noodles - I love teriyaki! Turned out to be tasty enough, but with far too many water chestnuts..

I schlepped off right after that meeting, taking the Tube as I'm now on completely the wrong side of town for this, and it'd take over an hour by bus. Getting off at South Kensington - known as the museum stop - and taking the pedestrian subway, I saw that I'd need Exit 4. Durnit, all the way at the end! I'm so used to exiting there for the Albert Hall, and being all in a flurry because it's that much longer of a walk when you get out! Along that long passageway, I passed a busker, playing My Heart Will Go On, on the harp. Mind you, he wasn't attracting as much attention as the guy I passed on Wednesday, sat on the side of the road, blowing into a traffic cone..!

I was delighted to see that the Science Museum has an entrance right beside Exit 4 of the subway! Just to the right, as you come out. The people at the ticket desks are purely there to process donations, which are optional - I'd have given one, but didn't want to be late. It's a massive building:



From the ticket, I knew I'd have to head up to Level 3, and there was no sign of a lift, although I figured there must be one around somewhere. So, up the stairs I went - quite a workout. At the top of the stairs, I immediately spotted the Fly Zone, and right inside the entrance, the Space Descent VR Experience. Cool, I had 15 minutes..

There was a short queue. I thought I might be too early, but figured there was no point in mooching at the side, so joined the queue, and sure enough, was let right in. Well, there is space for 20, in individual bucket seats, each equipped with a VR headset and headphones. Each VR headset is fitted with, yep, you guessed it, a Samsung phone. S8, I'm guessing.

The nice assistant lectured us all very sternly about not putting on our headsets until after the introductory video by Tim Peake, the astronaut. And she instructed us not to forget to look all around - it's a 360-degree panorama! It's a good thing there were only about five of us - she had quite the job, stopping us from putting on our headsets too early, helping us to adjust them. There's a focus wheel on top and volume control buttons to the side, but I found I didn't need them - although I did have to adjust the velcro straps for my big head!

Put it on and you're straightaway in another world. I've never done VR before - it's really cool. I completely forgot about the headphones in my urgency to look all around - just as well she plonked them on for me! And for the next 10 minutes or so, I was immersed. The scariest part was at the start, when the perspective shifted to show us the view outside the craft - high above the earth, the curvature plain to see. Reminded me a bit of Gravity.

And from there, into the capsule, where Tim appears on the little screen on the instrument panel. Never fear, we don't get the accidents and spinning of Gravity - a trouble-free descent into the atmosphere, Tim explaining what's happening, suffices. It's a bit weird when you look down, in the capsule, and see what are apparently your hands, fiddling with the harness or whatever. And there are bits where the capsule jumps forward, or shudders wildly. You really do get a sense of the violence of the descent.

A few quibbles - Gravity it ain't, the effects are not up to that standard, despite the impressive opening shots. There's a bit after you've landed safely where he tells you to look out the window, where you'll see land. Nope, still just sky out there. And the shot at the end is so unrealistic that it looks as though the capsule is floating. Tsk. Still, that aside, it is an incredible experience, which I'd recommend. Booking through to November next year.

Afterwards, with a bit of time till the museum closed, I had a quick wander through the Fly Zone, which it seems is full of flight simulators, tickets required. Outside is a small ice cream cafe - I was parched, but they were already closing. And there was some other kind of ticketed exhibition. So I went down to Level 2 instead - where they had a cool exhibit on clocks and watches! I spent quite a lot of time there.




On my way out, I had time for a quick squizz through the Exploring Space exhibit, near where I'd come in. And you'll never believe it, but that's where I discovered the lift up to Level 3! Well, now you know. But I do recommend taking the stairs down - the stairwell has some very interesting (and large) displays.

I was hungry by this stage, and knew there are a lot of restaurants in the area - not all to be recommended. I fancied Chinese - don't have enough of it, it seems! Google Maps was as little help as usual - but I knew there was a decent one, and eventually found it. It's years since I've been in Jia. I came in just as someone was leaving, which was fortunate - it seems that it really is just those few tables on the ground floor! I'd always thought there was seating upstairs, but it seems that's just the toilets.

Anyway, I had the shredded smoked chicken starter, and a main of sweet chilli kung po chicken! (Sounds like a combo dish there!) The starter was amazing, pre-coated with sea salt or some such, presented in what looked like a basket made of egg whites, and accompanied by a dish of what appeared to be sweet chilli sauce. The main.. good, but a bit of an odd combination of flavours, accompanied by cashews. I didn't appreciate the option of a tip being presented to me on the card terminal, when there was already a service charge, but never mind - it's still a good Chinese.

Tomorrow, Crick Crack is back! Happy New Year to them. The story of When Time Began is being told at King's Place. Creation myths. And wouldn't you know it, we're being treated to a host of performers - the husband and wife team, Emily and Nick Hennessy, and co-founder of the club, the amazing Ben Haggerty. Accompaniment provided by the wonderful musician, Sheema Mukherjee. Just this week advertised on their Meetup group though! Honestly, if I were waiting for notification from them.. Unfortunately, I have to be up early for it - but I can walk there.

On Sunday, another Happy new Year - this time to Let's Do This (LDT), who are off to an art exhibition. Gilbert & George: the Beard Pictures and their Fuckosophy. Sorry, but that is the title. Showing at the White Cube Gallery. Honestly, but for the group that's hosting, I wouldn't bother..

More art on Monday, which I'll probably enjoy more. I'm taking the day off to go see Reflections at the National Gallery - an exhibition of Pre-Raphaelites, which, with a free day, I can peruse at my leisure. As inspired by a walk by the excellent London Literary Walks - roll on the summer, and a return of those! Oh, and just lately, LDT advertised another trip to the excellent Vintage Swing Jazz evenings at Wilton's - for that evening. And why not, indeed? So I booked that, too..

On Tuesday, I was thinking of going to a film. Listings for next week were just released last Tuesday. Anyway, delightfully, top place goes to Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri, whose trailer I'd already seen and which was one I identified as a must-see. Directed by Martin McDonaghFrances McDormand is the frustrated mother of a young woman that was raped and murdered, but whose attacker was never caught. So she rents these billboards, on which she posts messages designed to shock the police into action - greatly irritating the police chief, Woody Harrelson. This black comedy is critically acclaimed, looks fantastic - and is previewing during the week, including at the BFI on Tuesday! As it was nearly sold out, I decided to book - and Lordy, what a time I had! No wonder it took me so long to get to bed - see, I wanted to change my address, as I already had with my bank, but every time I tried to do it the site crashed. I finally managed it, on my third browser, by not touching the address settings at all - lo and behold, it went through with the wrong address. Phew..

On Wednesday and Thursday, I'm with Up in the Cheap Seats again. On Wednesday, it's Misalliance, by Bernard Shaw, in the Orange Tree Theatre - on Thursday, I'm looking forward to the stage version of The Twilight Zone, at the Almeida! Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend.

The next week sees not much action with Meetup - well, there wasn't when I was looking - and booking! Still quiet for January, I guess. Still, I'm excited about what I am doing - on the 15th, I'm headed to Mary Stuart, at the Duke of York's Theatre. I've heard so much about this - apparently, they toss a coin beforehand to decide which plays which role, Elizabeth or Mary!

On the 16th, my annual trip to Cirque du Soleil at the Albert Hall! The show this year is Ovo - cheapest tickets for the date coming in at just under £50, but they're worth it! So, back through that subway again..

On the 17th, more comedy - Sara Pascoe, at Wyndham's.

And on the 18th, back with Up in the Cheap Seats - my first Meetup in a week will be Lady Windermere's Fan, at the Vaudeville Theatre.

No comments:

Post a Comment