Tuesday 30 January 2018

Play: Out of Love

Yesterday, it was back to the Orange Tree in Richmond for Out of Love, with Up in the Cheap Seats. I had a late meeting, but it did finish early, so - while not having a ton of time - I was likely to make it to the theatre.

Horrendous queue at Old Street - although not quite as bad as last time. Well, I was leaving a little later. Google Maps' timing was a little off, so the Tube arrived two minutes later than they predicted. And maybe it was the time it took me to change to the Jubilee Line, but I didn't catch that train until the time they'd predicted I'd already have arrived in Waterloo! Never mind, I might still catch the recommended train. In the event, it would've been too much of a rush, but there was another train, at a nearby platform, that had been supposed to leave at the same time, but was delayed - more signalling problems! And, of course, a horrendous crush - with the lack of oxygen, I felt quite ill by the time we finally got to Richmond. I gulped in the cold air when we got off.

I was somewhat restored by the time I got to the theatre, and met the others in the bar. A very welcome glass of cold wine, which I had to pay for in cash - their card machine wasn't working (more signal problems!). We weren't in time to get a seat - as I remarked when we went into the theatre, I hadn't sat since the office, an hour before, so it'd be a relief to sit now..! And, as it turned out, I was in the exact same seat as the last time I was here..

Simplest set I've seen in a while! A lit ring on the floor marks the stage area - technically, because they do keep entering and exiting through all available doors. No props whatsoever. Three actors - the main two women, and a token man. God knows how many characters, though - there's no indication when their identities change, unless someone calls them by name. And you really have to pay attention, or you'll get totally lost.

Actually, you will anyway. The main topic of conversation for our group afterwards was - who were the characters in the final scene? Someone speculated that they might be the daughters (or granddaughters) of the original characters. Someone else thought that maybe the different names were just pet names they had for each other. Damned if I know - I'd already missed one plot link earlier. The acting is great, BTW, and it's kept interesting - a story, told over time and with several flashbacks, of how the bond between two childhood friends endures through all that life can throw at it. I loved the disco scene - have always adored Born Slippy! But the writer tries to be far too clever, and the whole thing gets lost in confusion. Runs until the 3rd of March.

70 minutes without interval meant we were out nice and early - which meant that (most of us) went to the pub, first time in ages! Hallelujah. The Sun Inn is a nice place, just down the road, lined with rugby paraphernalia. They have a wine list on the bar - sadly, despite being out quite early, we were just too late for the kitchen, and I was hungry. They did quite nice crisps, though. We had to skirt an enormous Alsatian en route to a table just big enough for us all. And he was just the most gorgeous doggy.. licked my hand as I went back to the bar, and then got quite sniffy with me! His owner apologised for him being so "flirty".. must've been quite young, being so obstreperous; when he barked, it gave us all a start, being quite the loudest sound in the place. Back at the table, talk turned to theatre-related Meetup gossip.. I won't give away the details, but those of you who are regular readers might guess one of the groups that was discussed..!

Afterwards, to bed without delay, to be up in time for yet another U2 presale this morning (successful, on this occasion!). Mind you, there was a wealth of confusion, typically, with u2.com claiming one start time, and Ticketmaster another. U2.com won in the end, but it took some conversation between them and TM, apparently..

Tonight, finally back with FunzingLDN Talks @ Night (I thought they were changing their name to Funzing Talks - perhaps not yet) and London Speaks Sessions are talking about the Seven Wonders of the Solar System, at Cafe 1001. Yeuch - can't stand the place: hipster central. Still, at least I can walk there..

Tomorrow, I had RSVPed with London Science Talks and Museums Meetup, for a Science Museum late. But hey, it's free - so I had no problem cancelling when Let's Do This advertised a meal the same evening. Turkish, I believe, with a drink at the George Inn beforehand. Closer to me, too.

I start February with two from Up in the Cheap Seats. On Thursday, I'm at John in the NationalAnd on Friday, my now-nearby venue, finally - I'm at Sadler's Wells Sampled.

On Saturday, I'm finally back with Anthony's Cultural Events and Walking Activities Group (fairly trips off the tongue, that!) for a free walk - Secret Diaries and Public Spaces: the Legacy of Pepys and Wren. As run by Walk London. I had a great time with this group before - it's a shame they so frequently clash with other things I'm doing.

On Sunday, another walk, with Funzing, via Walking in London - Forgotten Old London is one I've had my eye on for a while. And that evening, someone suggested a classical concert in King's Place - well, whyever not? So I booked. Close enough to walk home after, too.

And on Monday, back with Up in the Cheap Seats, at Hampstead Theatre, for Dry Powder.

No comments:

Post a Comment