Thursday 18 January 2018

Play: Lady Windermere's Fan

Tonight, back at last with Meetup, with Up in the Cheap Seats - my first Meetup in a week was Lady Windermere's Fan, at the Vaudeville Theatre. Stars Jennifer Saunders, as the Duchess of Berwick.

Now, this is another that makes you print out your Print at Home tickets. And wouldn't you know it, my blasted office printer connection played up again! This time, the IT guy was at least helpful, and it's now sorted - hopefully permanently. "What's the problem?" "It's not printing!" caused some laughter from the guy at the adjacent desk. Well, I mean, what did he expect me to say?! Ticket duly printed, I set out in good time, catching the #243 to Somerset House, where the bus lurched to a stop and I made my way up the road in a biting wind.

Inside, I made my way upstairs - we were to meet at the Dress Circle Bar. Well, it's not called that - but I figured, since it was the bar beside the Dress Circle, this was the one! By the time the others arrived, I was dining on Bitsa Wispas - very moreish! - and a pinot grigio: not as good value as last night. Lovely bar, though - much nicer than the Upper Circle one, upstairs.


Excuse me - Upper Circle is what it says on my ticket, Grand Circle in the theatre. Anyway, it's quite high - from this vantage point, the actors and set all looked like they belonged in a dolls' house! I saved all of 50p by climbing all the way up there, instead of taking a discounted seat in the stalls, like everyone else in the group - never mind, it was fine, and my seat was comfy, with legroom not too bad.


Indeed, those seats in front of me stayed empty for the entire show, thus greatly improving the view. The people beside me lowered a heavy bag they were carrying down to those seats, to give themselves more room. On the safety curtain - just visible in this photo - are depicted five drawings of different fan positions, to represent different meanings in the language of the fan!

The fan in this story has just as exciting a tale to tell. The story is set in polite London society, where the young and idealistic Lady Windermere comes to hear of her husband's friendship with a woman of dubious reputation, and fears the worst. However, is there more to this woman than meets the eye..?

This Oscar Wilde play contains many quotes that people will recognise: "I can resist everything but temptation", anyone? Indeed, one scene set in a gentleman's salon late at night, involving a group of male friends, contains many lines that made the audience gasp with recognition. Of course, Wilde uses the play to make some keen observations about the people he sees around him - and this is more serious than some of his other work. I have to say, I enjoyed it very much - and it was a nice change, actually, to see period drama performed in period costume! An enjoyable musical interlude too, featuring Jennifer Saunders, while they're doing a scene change behind the curtain. Currently booking until the 7th of April - part of a whole season of Oscar Wilde that they're doing. Booking recommended - it seemed nearly full, tonight.

Afterwards, whisked home again by the #4 - and wouldn't you know it, two of the group were back on the bus with me! I hated to be unsociable, but they went upstairs and I just didn't fancy it. Honestly, I'm quite tired after the week I've had, and didn't fancy climbing the stairs - get a bit travel sick on the top level anyway. One got off two stops before mine, one at the self-same stop - gee, well, I guess we'll be seeing something of each other in future, then!

Finally, I have something for tomorrow! Jeez, that took a while - well, with Meetup resolutely providing practically nothing that day, I'm with one of my groups whose names I can't mention. I hadn't checked for a while, and when I did, over the weekend, the "£3.60" club had tickets for Bunny, at the Tristan Bates Theatre. So I'm going to that.

On Saturday, Happy New Year to Helen and her husband! We're all off to see Agatha Christie's Witness for the Prosecution, which is showing in County Hall - should be fun.

On Sunday, I'm going to the matinée of Barnum, in the Menier Chocolate Factory. And then, wouldn't you know it, Up in the Cheap Seats advertised a trip to the Lumiere Festival that evening! It's the last day. So I said I'd tag along, after my show - as the organiser said, it could be a problem finding each other, but what the hey! I see London Social Detours is doing the same thing - and charging £3. So I'll stick to Up in the Cheap Seats.

On Monday, I'm finally off to see Everybody's Talking About Jamie, at the Apollo - I rescheduled from the date I'd booked for last year.

On Tuesday, I'm going to Yous Two, at Hampstead Theatre - my first Meetup with North London Friends, finally! I think they might have been the only outlet for tickets, when I booked - I haven't tended to book with them, as they charge a fee.

On Wednesday, I'm finally going to Rita, Sue, and Bob Too! at the Royal Court, with Up in the Cheap Seats. Interesting one, this - we'd booked before, but then the whole run was cancelled after the co-director thought that the subject matter, about the exploitation of teenage girls, was too controversial in the wake of the Weinstein controversy. The artistic director subsequently reversed the decision.

Next Thursday, I'm going to The Birthday Party, in the Harold Pinter Theatre. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend.

On the 29th, back to the Orange Tree in Richmond for Out of Love, with Up in the Cheap Seats. Have to rush for that one - it's another evening I have a late meeting! Should make it, though.

On the 30th, finally back with FunzingLDN Talks @ Night and London Speaks Sessions are talking about the Seven Wonders of the Solar System, at Cafe 1001. Yeuch - can't stand the place: hipster central. Still, at least I can walk there from work..

On the 31st, I had RSVPed with London Science Talks and Museums Meetup, for a Science Museum late. But hey, it's free - so I had no problem cancelling when Let's Do This advertised a meal the same evening. Turkish, I believe, with a drink at the George Inn beforehand.

And I start February with two from Up in the Cheap Seats. On the 1st, I'm at John in the NationalAnd on the 2nd, my now-nearby venue, finally - I'm at Sadler's Wells Sampled.

No comments:

Post a Comment