Monday 8 January 2018

Art: Reflections & Vintage Swing Jazz

I took today off to go see Reflections at the National Gallery - an exhibition of Pre-Raphaelites (much more conventional than yesterday's!), which, with a free day, I could peruse at my leisure. As inspired by a walk by the excellent London Literary Walks - roll on the summer, and a return of those! Then, Let's Do This advertised another trip to the excellent Vintage Swing Jazz evenings at Wilton's - for this evening. And why not, indeed? So I booked that, too..

Just as well I had the day off - it turned out to be a busy one. I had to give the keys to my old place back this morning - and have an inspection meeting, to make sure I hadn't destroyed the place. Which led to a hectic weekend, as I tried to make the place as presentable as possible! Of course, some stains I just couldn't get out.. mercifully, I got the nice guy on reception, who did the inspection and just waved away the various stains, saying they were reasonable wear and tear. Wow, what an anticlimax. Anyway, I was exhausted after all that, and after an early start (and on a day off, too!) to try to finish off some things this morning.

I also spent the day traipsing around town, from the new place to the old, then back again with the cleaning stuff (what wasn't completely used up!). Had some brunch, freshened up, and I was on the road again to the National Gallery. Got off the bus as it passed our old office - looking unchanged so far; Google Maps wanted me to carry on one stop more, but the traffic was horrendous (as usual along that stretch), and I was now close enough to walk. Inside the gallery, I didn't really know where I was going, but it was easy enough - straight ahead, past the desk where they were selling tickets. They guy at the door checked mine - I was a little late for my time slot, but as I suspected, that didn't matter.

Upon entering, I saw there was a film, and decided to start with that. About 10 minutes long, it describes the origins of the pre-Raphaelite movement, and some of the common themes. Such as, for example, the habit they had of featuring mirrors - often round, and generally positioned to show something just out of the scope of the picture. Such as the artist painting it! And how the movement grew out of a disillusion with the existing masters, such as Raphael, whose work the pre-Raphaelites thought exaggerated, and so overblown as to be meaningless.

Instead, they turned their attention to the mediaeval artists who preceded him, and adopted their themes, which they combined with the most gorgeous, vivid colours, and tried to engage the viewer in an emotional response. Absolutely down my alley, obsessed as I am with things mediaeval! Such gorgeous colours, and wistful scenes.. Sadly, they don't allow the taking of photos inside, so you'll have to make do with this one, which features part of my favourite painting of the exhibition, Mariana:


My only quibble about the exhibition - apart from the ban on photos, and the number of ushers hanging around to enforce it - was that it's so small! Even including sketches, I was done with it in half an hour. Dunno, I think you're better off getting hold of a book about pre-Raphaelites, really.. anyway, runs until the 2nd of April.

By the time I came out, I was hungry - and had Garfunkel's in mind; I hadn't been there in ages, and it's always good. Well, except for the sirloin, which was too tough for me once. It's just up the road, and had plenty of room - and wouldn't you know it, they have an early bird till 4! which I was in time for. And whose limited menu still included all the food I was intending to order. Three courses for £13.95 - where would you be going? So I had garlic bread - delicious - 1/4 chicken with bbq sauce and fries - delicious, but I would've liked more chicken; as I remember, 1/4 was the only option on that menu - and a chocolate fudge cake - delicious, and served with a scoop of cream or ice cream. Generally served warm, I always have them cold - who wants all that lovely fudge melting around the plate? A couple of glasses of chardonnay, and I was well fortified to go back out into the bitter cold - wished I'd brought a scarf.

So I went home for a bit again! Where I promptly fell asleep - I was exhausted. Woke up a little bit later than intended, and sorted myself to go to Wilton's. Brought a snood, which was most welcome in the freezing cold. Again, the Bus Countdown app made a hames of predicting buses from my stop, telling me that nothing was expected for the next half hour! Rubbish, and mine was along in a few minutes. When I got there, I made straight for the bar, where I spied our organiser, and a few folks I hadn't met before. As he'd predicted, the place was busy, and got more so - I was happier when I joined the others by the wall, where we could lean.


As the place filled, unfortunately it became harder to stay together as a group. Well, that's the problem with such a good event.. in fact, one of us spied David Oakes at the bar! He's known for playing historical roles, and is currently appearing as Prince Ernst of Saxe-Coburg in the ITV series Victoria. Turns out I've seen him in a few other historical things, too. Well hey, I can't fault his taste - the Shirt Tail Stompers were out in force again tonight, taking three volunteer singers in succession from the crowd: two Americans and an Australian. And stomp we did! As I was to remark, excellent music to de-stress to. Always a terrific gig, here, with one of the best atmospheres you're likely to find.

Tomorrow, I was thinking of going to a film. Listings for next week were just released last Tuesday. Anyway, delightfully, top place goes to Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri, whose trailer I'd already seen and which was one I identified as a must-see. Directed by Martin McDonaghFrances McDormand is the frustrated mother of a young woman that was raped and murdered, but whose attacker was never caught. So she rents these billboards, on which she posts messages designed to shock the police into action - greatly irritating the police chief, Woody Harrelson. This black comedy is critically acclaimed, was joint top winner in the Golden Globes, looks fantastic - and is previewing during the week, including at the BFI tomorrow! As it was nearly sold out, I decided to book - and Lordy, what a time I had! No wonder it took me so long to get to bed - see, I wanted to change my address, as I already had with my bank, but every time I tried to do it the site crashed. I finally managed it, on my third browser, by not touching the address settings at all - lo and behold, it went through with the wrong address. Phew.. Sold out now.

On Wednesday and Thursday, I'm with Up in the Cheap Seats again. On Wednesday, it's Misalliance, by Bernard Shaw, in the Orange Tree Theatre - on Thursday, I'm looking forward to the stage version of The Twilight Zone, at the Almeida! Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend.

Next week sees not much action with Meetup - well, there wasn't when I was looking - and booking! Still quiet for January, I guess. Still, I'm excited about what I am doing - next Monday, I'm headed to Mary Stuart, at the Duke of York's Theatre. I've heard so much about this - apparently, they toss a coin beforehand to decide which plays which role, Elizabeth or Mary!

On the 16th, my annual trip to Cirque du Soleil at the Albert Hall! The show this year is Ovo - cheapest tickets for the date coming in at just under £50, but they're worth it! So, back through that subway again..

On the 17th, more comedy - Sara Pascoe, at Wyndham's.

And on the 18th, back with Up in the Cheap Seats - my first Meetup in a week will be Lady Windermere's Fan, at the Vaudeville Theatre.

No comments:

Post a Comment