Wednesday 10 January 2018

Film: Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri

Yesterday, I was thinking of going to a film. Anyway, delightfully, top place on my list went to Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri, whose trailer I'd already seen and which was one I identified as a must-see. Written and directed by Martin McDonaghFrances McDormand is the frustrated mother of a young woman that was raped and murdered, but whose attacker was never caught. So she rents these billboards, on which she posts messages designed to shock the police into action - greatly irritating the police chief, Woody Harrelson. This black comedy is critically acclaimed, was joint top winner in the Golden Globes, looked fantastic - and is previewing during the week, including at the BFI yesterday! As it was nearly sold out, I decided to book - and Lordy, what a time I had! It took me ages to get to bed - see, I wanted to change my address, as I already had with my bank, but every time I tried to do it the site crashed. I finally managed it, on my third browser, by not touching the address settings at all - lo and behold, it went through with the wrong address. Phew.. Sold out by Monday.

It wasn't on till late, so I had my longest stretch in the office in a long while. When it came time to leave, all I had to do was cross the road to catch a bus to Waterloo, then get off as soon as I was across the bridge. Mind you, that proved a bit confusing - what with the anti-terrorism barriers that have been erected on the bridges, following last year's attacks, the location of the stop has moved, and I'd gone a little way before I realised I should have come across the stairs down already. So I had to retrace my steps. And once down, I remembered my mistake of last time, and went under the bridge - the entrance is right there. Handily, the screen I wanted was the one just inside that entrance, and I'd already printed out my ticket - which told me my door number too, and there it was! Couldn't have been more convenient. So I made my way in, past the smiling attendant.

My seat was a bit to the side - but that was all that was left, by the time I booked, a week ago! Worked out fine, of course - and what a joy those plush seats are every time, most particularly now, with my aching bones, after the week I've had. And no sooner had I sat in mine than I realised I'd forgotten the programme notes again! Always happens. Well, I went back and got a copy - and for this review, I can't improve on what they had to say. The seat beside me remained empty, despite the sell-out showing - well, these things happen, and it was handy for me to stretch out. No general ads in the BFI, so after an ad for the current Ingmar Bergman season, off we went.

As the notes say - "..Frances McDormand channel[s] a modern, female variant of the classic western hero in a showdown-style performance." Yep, despite the green fields, this has a very Western feel to it, Frances Mcdormand as the lone gunslinger, facing down everyone in the search for justice. It's absolutely operatic in scale, with the most beautifully chosen soundtrack. All the leads are a joy to watch, the story is tragic, hilarious, hard-hitting, and at times very moving. I'd love to share some of the zinging one-liners with you, but would hate to give away the plot! which has enough twists to grip the audience throughout its length. I'd be hard put to say which my favourite part of this story was, but this is one of those rare films that I can find absolutely nothing bad to say about. A truly memorable film, possibly the film of the year. An enthusiastic round of applause greeted the credits before we reluctantly left.

Heading home, Google Maps gave me four bus suggestions - all from the same stop. As I approached, three more buses all stopped there - none of which I needed. Lordy, I thought, does every bus in the world stop here?! Reading the list at the stop, it kind of seems as though they do! Wasn't long before one of mine came along, and it turned out to be the fastest, lovely - dropped me right around the corner from home, too. An easier day I haven't had in a while! Had to be in early today for a meeting though, hence the delay in the blog.

For the next two days, I'm with Up in the Cheap Seats again. Today, it's Misalliance, by Bernard Shaw, in the Orange Tree Theatre - have an evening meeting as well, and will have to leave straight after. Tomorrow, I'm looking forward to the stage version of The Twilight Zone, at the Almeida! Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend.

Next week sees not much action with Meetup - well, there wasn't when I was looking - and booking! Still quiet for January, I guess. Still, I'm excited about what I am doing - on Monday, I'm headed to Mary Stuart, at the Duke of York's Theatre. I've heard so much about this - apparently, they toss a coin beforehand to decide which plays which role, Elizabeth or Mary!

On Tuesday, my annual trip to Cirque du Soleil at the Albert Hall! The show this year is Ovo - cheapest tickets for the date coming in at just under £50, but they're worth it! So, back through that subway again..

Next Wednesday, more comedy - Sara Pascoe, at Wyndham's.

And on the 18th, back with Up in the Cheap Seats - my first Meetup in a week will be Lady Windermere's Fan, at the Vaudeville Theatre.

No comments:

Post a Comment