Wednesday 17 January 2018

Comedy: Sara Pascoe - LadsLadsLads

Tonight was comedy - Sara Pascoe, at Wyndham's. This proved be a lot easier to get to than last night's - even though I was depending on the #55 again! Anyway, I didn't have to change buses, and left in good time - and my, was it more comfortable than last night's Tube! So much less crowded - and I even got a seat.

Got off at Tottenham Court Road, and walked down the so-familiar Charing Cross Road - this used to be my walk to work. I see the beggar at the corner occupies the same space - it's probably the same one, but it's hard to tell, as the person adopts a praying posture, head down. Anyway, I didn't have to check my route to Wyndham's, I've been here so often! or passed it.

For this one, I had to queue at the box office - but not for long. And she asked me for my postcode, so it's handy I remember it! (Booked this in October, when I was still at my last place.) Paid a trip to the very genteel loo - quite snug, with steps down from the door and up to the cubicles! Nice, hotel-type, heavy wooden cubicle doors, I must say. Afterwards, lacking dinner, I bought myself a box of Maltesers and a wine - at £8.50 in total, quite good value!

Now, for this show, I was in the stalls! Dead unusual, that, for me here - they must all have been the same price. It's not that they only had stalls seats, as for some shows - no, I saw people in all three tiers tonight! Anyway, it's a beautiful theatre, and it certainly made a change to be so close:



I hadn't seen Sara Pascoe before - checked her out on YouTube and decided to give her a shot. And I'm glad I did! She has a very relaxed style - very conversational - and I wasn't sure, at first. But you know, she has some good routines, and she won me over. The theme of the show, basically, is her break-up with her boyfriend, and her lack of romantic luck since. Unlike her, I wouldn't go on a yoga retreat in a fit - but I have to empathise with her about the men of Morocco, whom she found very sleazy. She had to wear a wedding ring to try to fend them off. As she said - "not very feminist!". Welcome to the patriarchy, indeed..

Other keen observations included her incredulity at women wanting the man to pay for dinner - again, hardly a feminist attitude - and her, eh, incest fantasy. Hey, as she says, if you're stuck at home bored, and there's nothing on telly.. Some of the punchlines of the first half, I read in a newspaper review yesterday - the second half was newer to me. As she explained, she doesn't do audience interaction - well, except for that impression of her friend, Aisling Bea, who turned out to be sat a few rows back from me, and gave her the only heckle of the night! Very entertaining evening - recommended, as long as sex doesn't offend you. Runs until Saturday, but online booking is closed.

Afterwards, the #4 whisked me home again, in light drizzle. Tomorrow, back at last with Meetup, with Up in the Cheap Seats - my first Meetup in a week will be Lady Windermere's Fan, at the Vaudeville Theatre. Stars Jennifer Saunders.

Finally, I have something for Friday! Jeez, that took a while - well, with Meetup resolutely providing practically nothing that day, I'm with one of my groups whose names I can't mention. I hadn't checked for a while, and when I did, over the weekend, the "£3.60" club had tickets for Bunny, at the Tristan Bates Theatre. So I'm going to that.

On Saturday, Happy New Year to Helen and her husband! We're all off to see Agatha Christie's Witness for the Prosecution, which is showing in County Hall - should be fun.

On Sunday, I'm going to the matinée of Barnum, in the Menier Chocolate Factory. And then, wouldn't you know it, Up in the Cheap Seats advertised a trip to the Lumiere Festival that evening! It's the last day. So I said I'd tag along, after my show - as the organiser said, it could be a problem finding each other, but what the hey! I see London Social Detours is doing the same thing - and charging £3. So I'll stick to Up in the Cheap Seats.

On Monday, I'm finally off to see Everybody's Talking About Jamie, at the Apollo - I rescheduled from the date I'd booked for last year.

On Tuesday, I'm going to Yous Two, at Hampstead Theatre - my first Meetup with North London Friends, finally! I think they might have been the only outlet for tickets, when I booked - I haven't tended to book with them, as they charge a fee.

Next Wednesday, I'm finally going to Rita, Sue, and Bob Too! at the Royal Court, with Up in the Cheap Seats. Interesting one, this - we'd booked before, but then the whole run was cancelled after the co-director thought that the subject matter, about the exploitation of teenage girls, was too controversial in the wake of the Weinstein controversy. The artistic director subsequently reversed the decision.

On the 25th, I'm going to The Birthday Party, in the Harold Pinter Theatre. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend.

On the 29th, back to the Orange Tree in Richmond for Out of Love, with Up in the Cheap Seats. Have to rush for that one - it's another evening I have a late meeting! Should make it, though.

On the 30th, finally back with FunzingLDN Talks @ Night and London Speaks Sessions are talking about the Seven Wonders of the Solar System, at Cafe 1001. Yeuch - can't stand the place: hipster central. Still, at least I can walk there from work..

On the 31st, I had RSVPed with London Science Talks and Museums Meetup, for a Science Museum late. But hey, it's free - so I had no problem cancelling when Let's Do This advertised a meal the same evening. Turkish, I believe, with a drink at the George Inn beforehand.

And I start February with two from Up in the Cheap Seats. On the 1st, I'm at John in the NationalAnd on the 2nd, my now-nearby venue, finally - I'm at Sadler's Wells Sampled.

No comments:

Post a Comment