Saturday 20 January 2018

Play: Witness for the Prosecution & Lumiere

Happy New Year to Helen and her husband! Today, we all went to see Agatha Christie's Witness for the Prosecution, which is showing in County Hall. Lunch beforehand - then we planned to hit the Lumiere Festival after, for a bit.

Drizzle when I set out - it was forecast to clear, later. The #4 bus took me to Waterloo, where their train was coming in - I believe it's listed as one of the scenic bus routes, and it's not hard to see why!


More photos here. Made it to the station early - it was too cold to sit, honestly, so I stood and waited, and when I saw a crowd of people getting off a train, sure enough, it was theirs. We decided on Italian, and headed for Azzurro, just outside. We were seated without trouble, served pretty quickly - apart from the jug of tap water, which they forgot about for a while. Still, the Chenin Blanc was lovely, as was the garlic bread - pity the carbonara was so bland. Perhaps I should have had the mozzarella on top, after all - I remember with fondness the gorgeous carbonara I used to have at Cafe Milano. Ah well, never mind. The others had penne, sea bass, rosé, and San Pellegrino, along with a basket of different breads - all went down well. We might have stayed for a delicious-sounding dessert, but time was passing, and it wouldn't have been pleasant to rush.

Well, Helen knew her way to County Hall, so we found it without trouble, and it was just a quick walk. Just as well, as the rain hadn't heard the forecast, and was pouring down! Inside, we presented our tickets, bought a programme - on that lovely, smelly paper, as she remarked - and made our way upstairs. The front stairs are marble, carpeted in a rich blue - the back stairs we ended up on are narrower, uncarpeted. And there is a very great lot of them! I believe there is a lift, should you need it. Anyway, we duly reached our level - where there was yet another bar. I must say, they're well-served for them here! Got drinks, and made our way into the impressive council chamber, which serves as a very atmospheric courthouse:


Steep stairs in the gallery - comfy bench seats though, leather, as with the rest of the chamber, and a birds'-eye view of proceedings, if somewhat restricted by the large, obtrusive, marble pillars. We settled ourselves - we could spread out a bit, as we didn't have anyone else in our bit. And wouldn't you know it, one of our ex-colleagues was right in front of us! We weren't sure it was him until he checked in on Facebook as Helen was checking her feed. Well gee, as he remarked, it's a small world.

What a dramatic setting! Imposing, traditional, timeless - the perfect backdrop to this courtroom murder drama. That stool that's spotlit at the start is soon to support the weight of the accused, a charming young man who befriended an older, wealthy woman, whom he's now accused of killing. The poor fellow's only hope is his devoted wife, with whom he spent the evening, and who will provide his alibi. But none of us are prepared for what happens next!

It's Agatha Christie, so you know it's good. I couldn't see much of the judge, from where I was sat, but otherwise - by leaning to one side or the other - could see all the other action. Dramatic background music - as well as appropriate crowd reactions - are piped through the chamber, to help create the mood. And at the interval - as we dined on very moreish Marshfield ice cream from the bar - we debated who might actually have killed her, and what the motives of the various characters might be. But for all our acumen, we didn't get it right! Highly recommended for fans of murder mysteries - owing to demand, it's now booking till the 16th of September. (They might want to invest in a new cape for the prosecutor, though - his is very threadbare!)

Afterwards, we just had a quick schlep along a very cold South Bank to see how much of the Lumiere Festival was on show. Not too much, along there - the London Eye was changing colours:


..and we finished our walk with a (very) hot chocolate, and a look at a triangle illumination - we were there for the turning on, when they turned off the illuminations on the surrounding trees. Apparently, the lights are motion-sensitive, and activated by people walking through the installation:


The night ended for us with kayakers paddling down the river, lights on their boats. And so I bade my companions farewell at the station again - it was a very good day.

Tomorrow, I'm going to the matinée of Barnum, in the Menier Chocolate Factory. And then, wouldn't you know it, Up in the Cheap Seats advertised a trip to the Lumiere Festival that evening! It's the last day. So I said I'd tag along, after my show - as the organiser said, it could be a problem finding each other, but what the hey! I see London Social Detours is doing the same thing - and charging £3. So I'll stick to Up in the Cheap Seats.

On Monday, I'm finally off to see Everybody's Talking About Jamie, at the Apollo - I rescheduled from the date I'd booked for last year.

On Tuesday, I'm going to Yous Two, at Hampstead Theatre - my first Meetup with North London Friends, finally! I think they might have been the only outlet for tickets, when I booked - I haven't tended to book with them, as they charge a fee.

On Wednesday, I'm finally going to Rita, Sue, and Bob Too! at the Royal Court, with Up in the Cheap Seats. Interesting one, this - we'd booked before, but then the whole run was cancelled after the co-director thought that the subject matter, about the exploitation of teenage girls, was too controversial in the wake of the Weinstein controversy. The artistic director subsequently reversed the decision.

On Thursday, I'm going to The Birthday Party, in the Harold Pinter Theatre. Interesting review in yesterday's paper. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend.

On the 29th, back to the Orange Tree in Richmond for Out of Love, with Up in the Cheap Seats. Have to rush for that one - it's another evening I have a late meeting! Should make it, though.

On the 30th, finally back with FunzingLDN Talks @ Night and London Speaks Sessions are talking about the Seven Wonders of the Solar System, at Cafe 1001. Yeuch - can't stand the place: hipster central. Still, at least I can walk there from work..

On the 31st, I had RSVPed with London Science Talks and Museums Meetup, for a Science Museum late. But hey, it's free - so I had no problem cancelling when Let's Do This advertised a meal the same evening. Turkish, I believe, with a drink at the George Inn beforehand. Closer to me, too.

And I start February with two from Up in the Cheap Seats. On the 1st, I'm at John in the NationalAnd on the 2nd, my now-nearby venue, finally - I'm at Sadler's Wells Sampled.

No comments:

Post a Comment