Thursday 27 June 2019

Musical: On Your Feet!

Tonight - yes of course, back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS).. this week has been mostly with them, but it'll be the last one with them for a little while now. This was On Your Feet at the Coliseum: the musical about Emilio and Gloria Estefan. I got my ticket with What's On Stage - afterwards, even cheaper tickets were advertised with From the Box Office. Ah well.

Again, despite heavy traffic, the bus made good time. At the theatre, I had trouble figuring out where the box office was - it's not that often I've needed it, of late, but with printing proving problematic for me these days, that's how it'll be in future. Honestly, I didn't realise that the corner of the box office I went to was for sales - handy, as there was no queue there! I had to get their attention, then told them my name and one got my ticket for me. We were to meet in the bar on the Upper Circle level - the Sky Bar - but a couple of us couldn't see any trace of them.. it was only when the bell rang and we headed to our seats that we met them, in an alcove by the lift that I hadn't known was there!

I was upstairs, in the Balcony, and took the lift up. My seat was near the front - normally I don't do that, as I can't manage the steps well, but I could just manage to get to this side seat by using the handrail on the wall, then clinging to a pillar. And I think it was a good view, albeit a little restricted:



The Balcony was only half full, actually - I could have sat more centrally, but it didn't seem worth the hassle: and if I'd sat in the front two rows, the rail would've been more of an issue! as the Americans near me found, when they decided to sit in the front - one of them sat in the row behind for the second act, saying she found the view better. Oh, and there were programmes on all the seats - weighty ones, but I didn't bring mine home, as they mostly contain ads. I didn't think it was worth trying to find somewhere to put it, for the sake of some production photos, a cast list, and a message from the real Emilio and Gloria.

The production started quite late - we could have stayed an extra 10 minutes in the bar. But it finally started with a bang - plenty of flashing lights in this. Much of it reproduces her hits - and boy, when they're laid out for you like this, you realise how many there actually were! It wasn't too long before I found myself singing along. As for the cough - no coughing fits tonight, first time since this started! Individual coughs, I timed for the frequent loud bits.

It's touchingly played, giving her early background. (We wondered what happened to her father, which wasn't clear - it's not much of a spoiler to say that his MS was thought to have been caused by the Agent Orange he was exposed to during the Vietnam War, for which he fought in the American military.) She meets a dishy guy called Emilio, who's in the music business.. the rest is history. But I wasn't aware of the trouble they had breaking into the US market, record executives constantly telling them their stuff was too Latino, wouldn't cross over. Nothing like persistence.. and yes, Dr. Beat is one I remember with great fondness. Everyone has their favourites - and most are catered for in this. But it'd be hard to include everything.. They do their best, to the extent of leading a conga through the stalls, coming up to the interval! and this is the first time that the audience are encouraged to their feet.

At the interval, I managed to find my way back to the Sky bar via the stairs. And in the second act, we get a moving depiction of her terrible bus crash and recovery - more ballads in this half, as you'd expect. But it finishes with a fantastic round of dance numbers - and in all of the theatre that I could see, I only spotted one person remain sitting. We were to be kept later than anticipated - the real-life Estefan family were in the house, and came on stage while the cast were taking a bow, Emilio's and Gloria's seven-year-old grandson salsa-ing with the younger cast members to the side. A spectacular end to the night, as gold confetti was spewed into the stalls, and glittered around the auditorium as we made our way out. Excellent timing, choosing this day for this show! Highly recommended - runs for the rest of the summer, with its suitably summery theme.

On the way home, I would have to need to change buses - and my first was crammed, meaning I had to squeeze my way out between a large woman, and a guy with his leg in a cast. :-/ They took it quite well. Tomorrow, I'm back to Ireland for the weekend.. apparently, they're getting a touch of the heatwave that we're strangely missing.. and then we're into next month! On Monday, nothing much I fancy on Meetup - instead, I got a cheap ticket to some quite local comedy - Catch 22 Years is a WIP by Katie O' Brien, at The Glory

On Tuesday, I'm headed to a Summer Science Exhibition Late at the Royal Society - adults only. London European Club (LEC) organised an outing - then London Science Events did, too. I decided I'd rather go with the LEC, so haven't RSVPed to London Science Events - they'd only be looking for me if I did. Free, no registration required.

On Wednesday, London Literary Walks is taking us all the way out west - for Strand on the Green.

On Thursday, back with Spooky London - this time, we're off to the Rising Sun. A fascinating part of town, with a ton of history - I've been there a lot, but never been in the actual pub. And with these two events being free as well (not counting drinks!), it'll be a cheap week.

On the 5th, Helen's in town for a training course. The LEC is taking a group to a flamenco (music only, no dance) concert at Rich Mix, and we're going.

On the 6th, the Globe was just in touch the other day - for that day only, there's a musical performance, evoking the story of King Lear, in the Wanamaker Playhouse. Had a look at the trailer, liked what I saw - and booked it: the matinee, for better availability.

On the 7th, heading with North London Friends to Ballet Flamenco Sara Baras - part of Sadler's WellsFlamenco Festival. So I'll get that dancing that I'll miss on the 5th! The lady hosting is going with some people from her Spanish class, and heading for tapas after - hell, why not? Even if I don't join them, I'll love the show.

And on the 8th, back with UITCS at last, for Peter Gynt at the National. Modern version.

No comments:

Post a Comment