Friday 21 June 2019

Pub: The Flask (Hampstead)

Last night, I'd booked with Spooky London for another pub night - this time it was in The Flask. However, our monthly office games night was the same night - I cancelled my RSVP with Spooky London. I'd see what happened. Mind you, someone also had his leaving drinks - I decided to head off to the pub if nothing happened by a certain time.

Sure enough, it was a damp squib - the minuscule offering on the trolley wheeled into the break room was an indicator, given the size of the office. I left a few of them playing Mario Kart, changed my RSVP again, grabbed something to eat, and legged it. Taking the bus, mind you, turned out to be a bad idea - for a start, I was waiting forever while a parade of 8s and 521s passed. Indeed, initially, TFL was of the impression that no 46s were due at all - then that it'd be about 15 minutes. So imagine my surprise when one suddenly appeared - in fact, I was lucky that someone else hailed it, I was so not expecting it. As usual, the scenery justified the journey..



Got a violent coughing fit on the bus - mercifully, towards the end of the trip. I did not appreciate the sideways glances of the woman in front - jeez, I couldn't help it! although I did sympathise when she was on the phone, and both I and the bloke in front of her were coughing enthusiastically. Never mind, it didn't last that long - the blasted bus was diverted, and I ended up having to schlep up one of those steep Hampstead hills for the last part of my journey. As I approached the pub, I could see the reason for the diversion - they're resurfacing the road, and no buses are going up there.

Inside the pub, I quickly found the group at a small table - we moved to a larger one nearby, with a sofa, when it came free. Mind you, as we discussed after, maybe our organiser should wear something identifying - he's just not spooky enough! In due course, most of the people who'd RSVPed arrived - I used up a load of change buying a drink (unusual for me to have it!), and we chatted away - mostly about horror films, this time - for a couple of hours. The pub ghost, apparently, is - ahem - a girl who committed suicide after a botched dental job, and now stares in the front window of the pub. Other notable facts: the two halves of the pub are not connected - you have to go outside to get from one to the other - and for some reason, people never seem able to find the gents..! (Maybe they're cursed..) Oh, and phone reception is awful - happily, I managed to get WiFi.

I took the Tube home, natch, which got me back nice and early - allowing me to bring another load from the old flat. Time's a-wasting! It ran too late to blog though, after that. Tonight, thinking of film - and what's coming up is Toy Story 4! I'm delighted with that - I really enjoy the Toy Story films, although I haven't seen the last one, now available online. That's on in the Barbican Screen 1 - and, of course, I know where that is, now! Also on nice and early, leaving me some time to finish clearing out my old room (hopefully) - I have to vacate it for tomorrow, and in fact just yesterday got an email from the agents, detailing the charges if I don't follow all their requirements. Boy, will I be glad to end my contract with them - they're very hard-nosed.

Tomorrow morning, I have to give back the key by 11.30 - or face a £30 penalty. To celebrate the end of all that kerfuffle, I have a full day planned with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) thereafter, in the Arcola - Radio, followed by The Glass Menagerie. Doubtless we'll grab a bite to eat in between, but haven't decided where yet.

On Sunday, back with UITCS for 549: Scots of the Spanish Civil War, at the New Diorama Theatre. Haven't been there before.

On Monday, Helen and her husband were supposed be in town, but can't make it now. Never mind, when I checked, UITCS had posted a new event; Wife is on in the Kiln (which used to be the Tricycle), and - possibly just for that day - all tickets bought by Sunday are £10! So I'm joining them for that - we are, of course, picking top price seats, and taking up pretty much the whole of the front row of the Circle.

On Tuesday, back with UITCS for a performance at Sadler's Wells by the Birmingham Royal Ballet.

On Wednesday - not with UITCS!! Instead, I'm back with London Literary Walks - this is The Third Westminster Walk, and on past experience, should be fascinating.

On Thursday - yes of course, back with UITCS.. for On Your Feet at the Coliseum: the musical about Emilio and Gloria Estefan. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend.

..and then we're into next month! On the 1st, nothing much on Meetup - instead, I got a cheap ticket to some quite local comedy - Catch 22 Years is a WIP by Katie O' Brien, at The Glory

On the 2nd, I'm headed to a Summer Science Exhibition Late at the Royal Society - adults only. London European Club (LEC) organised an outing - then London Science Events did, too. I decided I'd rather go with the LEC, so haven't RSVPed to London Science Events - they'd only be looking for me if I did. Free, no registration required.

On the 3rd, London Literary Walks is taking us all the way out west - for Strand on the Green.

On the 4th, back with Spooky London - this time, we're off to the Rising Sun. A fascinating part of town, with a ton of history - I've been there a lot, but never been in the actual pub. And with these two events being free as well, it'll be a cheap week.

And on the 5th, Helen's in town for a training course. The LEC is taking a group to a flamenco (music only, no dance) concert at Rich Mix, and we're thinking of going along.

No comments:

Post a Comment