Monday 17 June 2019

Play: Twelfth Night

Tonight, back with the London European Club - we were off to the Globe, for Twelfth Night! When I booked, the only tickets left were in the Middle Gallery, and they subsequently completely sold out. Happily, this was the first day in an age when no rain at all was forecast, and it stayed sunny - and even warm, in the sunshine.

It's a quick - and gorgeous - walk from my new office to the Globe, and this was my first time to avail of it:




We met beforehand in the Founder's Arms - well, a few of us did. For all those that signed up, only two of us actually met the organiser - then again, a couple of people did sign up who posted that they were having trouble getting tickets; perhaps some couldn't manage it. I'd just got a drink when I met the others - the place was typically full, but we shared an outside table with some American-sounding girls. And we spent a convivial hour or so, chatting theatre and venues.

At the Globe, I left them - we all had tickets for different places. Mine was Gents Box A - right at the corner of the stage - front row. It's not the best view in the house, but it's not bad - I did miss some actors' expressions when they turned to the front, given that mine was quite a rear view.


It's quite comfy too - the benches in the box have backs and cushions (although someone across from me also rented one, which he plopped on top of the bench cushion), and the walls are nicely decorated:



The play - as ever here - started with a musical number. And, as ever, the music is terrifically entertaining, the players interacting with the crowd as well, and one demonstrating his ability to do the splits. I have to say, these days the music is the highlight..

Bring back Emma Rice, I say - the plays were better in her day. I still love the venue, but honestly, I'm beginning to wonder.. I will say this, this evening's offering was an improvement on Henry IV Part 1. It could hardly be worse! I've come to the conclusion that they are currently incapable of doing serious work.

This, however, is a comedy, so suited better their need to entertain. The cross-dressing is still in fashion - not as confusing as before, but with a girl (Viola) that dresses as a boy in the original story, we now have a boy dressing as a girl who dresses as a boy. Which means we're looking at a boy.. whom everyone in the story also perceives as a boy.. but who is actually supposed to be a girl. Head-wrecking. Oh, and while I'm on the subject of Viola, let me mention that that was the most wooden delivery of lines I've ever heard - not a glimmer of understanding from the actor. All but two of the other roles are reversed, too - but easier to understand.

I enjoyed it, basically - despite random bursts of laughter from the audience at inappropriate moments. Looking around the galleries, I saw a lot of bored faces - the play does improve in the second half, though. But it's hard work, always having to remember what gender people are supposed to be - and, for the record, even Olivia (played by a man, natch) wears breeches under her robe.

Runs till the 21 August - looks like the only availability remaining, at time of writing, is for four dates in August, and two of those are limited! I think you might not regret missing this year's season entirely..



Tomorrow, ironically, I have a ticket for Pericles, again at the Globe. That's not a comedy.. and indeed, tonight's organiser said he'd seen it, and was highly unimpressed. I booked it before I saw Henry IV Part 1 - and am happy to miss it. (Supposed to rain, anyway.) Instead, I'm headed for a meal. Now, Let's Do This has been my go-to group for meals, but one of the organisers has branched out and formed a new group - Civilised London. So I'm headed to eat with them! This time, it's Ecuadorian - we're headed to the Myddleton Arms for a drink, from which we'll make our way to El Inca Pleyebo. Should be interesting!

On Wednesday, Up in the Cheap Seats enticed me with an invitation to go see The Damned, by the Comédie Francaise, at the Barbican. (Surtitles provided.)

And on Thursday, I've booked with Spooky London for another pub night - this time it's in The Flask. However, our monthly office curry night might be that night - watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment